ADVERTISEMENT

A New Panther Hoops Quiz ... who are these guys? ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
I've always had something of a curiosity for walk-on players. For the most part, their participation is based on a true love of playing the game. Their largest reward is often just 40 seconds on the court maybe a few times during the year.

So here a another Panther Lair quiz, based on the years since Pitt entered the Big East (1982). All of the answers involve players who were walk-ons, although some were awarded a scholarship at some point during their careers at Pitt.

Again ... do you best to answer without the use of your friend Google.

1. The highlight of this walk-on’s career came on senior night when he got loose for a breakaway slam dunk in the final moments of this game at the Field House against Connecticut. Who was it?

2. No fewer than five members on the Panther Football team have pulled double duty and walked onto the basketball team. Who were they?

3. As Paul Evans started his first season at Pitt, he put out a call for open tryouts to get some more bodies to join the team in practice. Three walk-ons made the cut. Name the three?

4. In the last 38 years of Pitt Basketball (since entering the Big East), this walk-on holds the mark for most minutes played and most points scored in a single season.

5. The highlight of this walk-on’s career was a buzzer beater three pointer in front his “home crowd.”

6. Personally, I think this walk-on improved more than any other during his time at Pitt, including a meaningful 7 point performance as a senior to help the Panthers win a conference game.

7. This Panther walk-on’s largest contributions came later as a member of the Pitt Athletic Department.

8. He started as a team manager under Dixon until he eventually found his way onto the court.

9. He started as a team manager under Willard until he eventually found his way onto the court.

10. This diminutive sounding walk-on was often the subject of chants requesting his appearance near the end of blowout wins.

11. This walk-on scored more points than any other during his time at Pitt.

12. No fewer than nine walk-ons have started a game between 1982 and 2020. How many can you name?

13. A member of the Panther 1,000 point club was this walk-on's Dad. (There are two answers here I just realized).

14. This walk-on was part of a family of outstanding athletes from Chartiers Valley High School.

15. This pair of walk-ons with names of similar ethnicity where always favorites of the newly founded Oakland Zoo.

16. Finally, this walk-on holds the mark for the most starts during a season over the 1982-2020 time frame.

If you really like the subject of walk-ons as I do, to kill some hours during this time without sports, I highly suggest reading "Don't Put Me In Coach," by former OSU walk-on Mark Titus. It's hilarious to say the least.

6. Aaron Nwanko
7. Marcus Bowman
10. Charles Small
15. Carlo and Gino. Last name ending in vowels

I've always had something of a curiosity for walk-on players. For the most part, their participation is based on a true love of playing the game. Their largest reward is often just 40 seconds on the court maybe a few times during the year.

So here a another Panther Lair quiz, based on the years since Pitt entered the Big East (1982). All of the answers involve players who were walk-ons, although some were awarded a scholarship at some point during their careers at Pitt.

1. The highlight of this walk-on’s career came on senior night when he got loose for a breakaway slam dunk in the final moments of this game at the Field House against Connecticut. Who was it?

2. No fewer than five members on the Panther Football team have pulled double duty and walked onto the basketball team. Who were they?

3. As Paul Evans started his first season at Pitt, he put out a call for open tryouts to get some more bodies to join the team in practice. Three walk-ons made the cut. Name the three?

4. In the last 38 years of Pitt Basketball (since entering the Big East), this walk-on holds the mark for most minutes played and most points scored in a single season.

5. The highlight of this walk-on’s career was a buzzer beater three pointer in front his “home crowd.”

6. Personally, I think this walk-on improved more than any other during his time at Pitt, including a meaningful 7 point performance as a senior to help the Panthers win a conference game.

7. This Panther walk-on’s largest contributions came later as a member of the Pitt Athletic Department.

8. He started as a team manager under Dixon until he eventually found his way onto the court.

9. He started as a team manager under Willard until he eventually found his way onto the court.

10. This diminutive sounding walk-on was often the subject of chants requesting his appearance near the end of blowout wins.

12. No fewer than nine walk-ons have started a game between 1982 and 2020. How many can you name?

12. A member of the Panther 1,000 point club was this walk-on's Dad.

14. This walk-on was part of a family of outstanding athletes from Chartiers Valley High School.

15. This pair of walk-ons with names of similar ethnicity where always favorites of the newly founded Oakland Zoo.

16. Finally, this walk-on holds the mark for the most starts during a season over the 1982-2020 time frame.

If you really like the subject of walk-ons as I do, to kill some hours during this time without sports, I highly suggest reading "Don't Put Me In Coach," by former OSU walk-on Mark Titus. It's hilarious to say the least.
1) Abel
2) Rasp, Layton, Miklasevich, Carrigan, P. Cavanaugh
3) Generalovich, P. Cavanaugh, Colombo
4) Brush
5) Frye
6) Nwanko, Brush - More than 1 answer
7) Bowman
8) Tiesi
9) Antigua
10) Small
11) Brush
12) Abel, Brush, Starzynski, P. Cavanaugh, Nwanko, Aldridge, Miklasevich, El-Nokali, Generalovich
13) Aiken
14) El-Nokali
15) Dorazio and Federico
16) Brush

Last edited:
Reactions: PollCat99
1) Abel
4) Aldridge
5) Frye
6) Nwanko, Brush, Aldridge - More than 1 answer
7) Bowman
8) Tiesi
9) Antigua
10) Small
11) Aldridge
12) Abel, Brush, Starzynski, P. Cavanaugh, Nwanko, Aldridge, Miklasevich, El-Nokali, Generalovich
13) Aiken
14) El-Nokali
15) Dorazio and Federico
16) Aldridge

Nice effort, and a few correct. The biggest issue is Andre Aldridge wasn't a walk-on.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
1) Abel
4) Aldridge
5) Frye
6) Nwanko, Brush, Aldridge - More than 1 answer
7) Bowman
8) Tiesi
9) Antigua
10) Small
11) Aldridge
13) Aiken
14) El-Nokali
15) Dorazio and Federico
16) Aldridge

Also -- you get extra credit for your answer to #13. I was thinking of someone else, but Aiken is obviously correct too. I had to change the question.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
In addition to what others have answered:

5) Josh Ko
6) Nwankwo
7) Bowman
8) Lecak
9) Antigua
10) Small
11) Brush?
12) Nwankwo, Willard, Starzynski, Brush, Abel, Generelovich, Gardella, Cavanaugh, Spruill
13) Aiken/Smith
15) Frederico, Dorazio
16) Willard?

In addition to what others have answered:

5) Josh Ko
6) Nwankwo
7) Bowman
8) Lecak
9) Antigua
10) Small
11) Brush?
12) Nwankwo, Willard, Starzynski, Brush, Abel, Generelovich, Gardella, Cavanaugh, Spruill
13) Aiken/Smith
15) Frederico, Dorazio
16) Willard?

For the purpose of this quiz, I’m saying that Willard doesn’t count as a walk-on. He did not receive a scholarship per se, as his tuition was free with his father being a university employee. But he did count toward our scholarship total per NCAA rules.

I never saw a more dorky looking college basketball player than him until I saw the walk-on from DePaul last year. I should just keep my mouth shut. My damn hair is starting to look like his because of this quarantine. o_O

In college, a friend of mine likened Columbo a little to Michael J. Fox, and each game, he wanted him to turn into a warewolf and take over the game.

Wasn't he a Pika?

I can't say know for sure. But I saw him in the Towers Cafe often but I don't recall him ever sitting with them, and we all know they were required by law to sit together at lunch while wearing their maroon hats.

When are you revealing the answers DT? Keep ‘em coming.

Maybe tonight. Doesn't seem like too many more want to chime in. I'm glad it's worth it for a couple of people though.

I have some other quiz ideas for the coming days.

13. A member of the Panther 1,000 point club was this walk-on's Dad. (There are two answers here I just realized).

13. Aiken and Smith

For #2, I know Pat Cavanaugh walked onto the football team but I don't know if he ever played or not. The four I came up with were John Rasp, Billy Osborn, Nate Cochran, and Leon Murray. If there's another one, I'm stumped.

For #3, I think there were more than 3 walk-ons on the 1986-87 roster but not sure who answered the call on open tryouts. I'm going to say Jon Luther, Columbo, and Rasp. Cavanaugh and Osborn were also on the roster I think.

For #2, I know Pat Cavanaugh walked onto the football team but I don't know if he ever played or not. The four I came up with were John Rasp, Billy Osborn, Nate Cochran, and Leon Murray. If there's another one, I'm stumped.

For #3, I think there were more than 3 walk-ons on the 1986-87 roster but not sure who answered the call on open tryouts. I'm going to say Jon Luther, Columbo, and Rasp. Cavanaugh and Osborn were also on the roster I think.

I'll give the answers to all of the questions later, but you did well on these two.

You got the five football players correct, including Cavanaugh.

The three players who walked on for the open tryouts were Columbo, Cavanaugh and Jon Luther (you even spelled his name correctly). They started practicing with the team in October.

John Rasp joined the team after the football season ended in late November. Osborn joined the team sometime after the new year (Luther left the team before the season ended).

my cousin scott colombo ended up with a scholarship his senior year, also got to enjoy some great teams

i was in 9th grade playing at at roosevelt in altoona, got the chance to be in the locker room after pitt played oklahoma, i got to meet smith, lane,gore, aiken, brookin , then he got to play with shorter, mathews, martin, porter, and miller. John calipari who scott is still friends with was an assistant coach for pitt before he got hired by umass.

Finally getting around to providing the answers ...

John Blanton

Billy Osborn, Leon Murray, John Rasp, Nate Cochran and Pat Cavanaugh (he walked on the football team too).

Pat Cavanaugh, Scott Columbo and Jon Luther

Brian Brush

Joshua Ko

Aron Nwankwo

Marcus Bowman

Nick Rivers

Oliver Antigua

Charles Small

Pat Cavanaugh

I counted wrong ... I think it's just seven:

Pat Cavanuaugh, Brian Brush John Rasp, Mahti Spruill, Chris Horne, Griffin Able, Joe Mascaro, and Anthony Starzynski

Brock Generalovich and Curtis Aiken Jr.

Amr El Kokali

Carlo Dorazio and Gino Federico

Mahti Spruill (6)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT