ADVERTISEMENT

A Perspective

rockypanther

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2001
I never coached at the college level nor do I know Dior.

I have had on 3 different occasions as a coach very gifted players that could drop 30 when they wanted to and led us to many victories. But as a coach it was a real headache. Each could be selfish, have bad attitudes with me and the refs, get into it with their own teammates, and thought that without them we were nothing.

I actually found as a team we played just as good if not better when they were there. The players took a deep breath and knew they finally had the chance to step up. They also collectively supported each other much more and played harder for one another. We in many instance overachieved.

The chemistry thing is real. One of my players walked out on us during a game last year and we kicked him off the team. We improved a lot because we played better as a team and didn’t have to worry about him or his attitude.

Again, I don’t know Dior. But I have learned a lot about how fragile team chemistry is. I have learned how one player can absolutely sink a team. And I know we are playing he best basketball as a TEAM under Capel.

It sucks when you don’t have a great player. But it can also be a good thing in such cases.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News