ADVERTISEMENT

A post apocalyptic vibe

Being a P5 school will always cushion how far you can fall, but as we’re seeing here, once you’re down it is very hard to get back up. Similar to how Louisville is hurt by NIL, Syracuse is getting crushed by the nationalization of recruiting. They just aren’t one of the biggest dogs in the Northeast anymore and the kids they could count on keeping in the region aren’t staying home. That school needs a complete culture shift, but I can’t see Boeheim stepping aside for anyone but a hand picked successor which likely won’t be the change they need.

Being a P5 school will always cushion how far you can fall, but as we’re seeing here, once you’re down it is very hard to get back up. Similar to how Louisville is hurt by NIL, Syracuse is getting crushed by the nationalization of recruiting. They just aren’t one of the biggest dogs in the Northeast anymore and the kids they could count on keeping in the region aren’t staying home. That school needs a complete culture shift, but I can’t see Boeheim stepping aside for anyone but a hand picked successor which likely won’t be the change they need.
You would have to think it’s Gerry Mac rn

Reactions: Drew1208

Willard, Cooley, and Jay Wright essentially ended Syracuse. Throw in Miami and others recruiting the Northeast. Its over for them.

We play them up there next Tuesday. A few days before Christmas, 9PM Tuesday tipoff, that place is going to be a ghost town next week.

Reactions: Drew1208
You would have to think it’s Gerry Mac rn

That’s been the consensus the last few years but nothing about that hire jumps off the page for me. He’s what I was alluding to when I said Jim is only leaving if he knows that one of “his guys” is getting the job.

Willard, Cooley, and Jay Wright essentially ended Syracuse. Throw in Miami and others recruiting the Northeast. Its over for them.

Over is a strong word. The right hire can still work there but they’re just not the major player that they once were. The Dome is what it is, but when that place is rocking it’s one of the best venues in the game. There’s still a draw but, as you noted, there are a lot more sharks swimming in the waters in their territory. They need to hire a killer that will move that program out of the stone age

There is a reason Boeheim (and Dixon) didn't want to leave the Big East for the ACC. We have been seeing it as has the Cuse. Other than 5-stars going to the "blue bloods" many players coming out of the Northeast would prefer playing in the Big East over the ACC.

Additionally, the Big East was more competitive and not dominated by two Blue Bloods at the top relegating everyone else almost every year to the second or third rung of the ladder.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Apologies to anyone from that area, but I always thought Syracuse was the most depressing town I ever had to consistently visit. It’s not any different than Huntington, WV or Morgantown aesthetically, but throw in the weather and it trumps everything. So it amazed me that they can recruit there.

I say this as a native western PA guy who has plenty of self awareness about the place I’m from.

Btw, congrats to Cuse on winning a national title last night. Well done.

That’s been the consensus the last few years but nothing about that hire jumps off the page for me. He’s what I was alluding to when I said Jim is only leaving if he knows that one of “his guys” is getting the job.

Over is a strong word. The right hire can still work there but they’re just not the major player that they once were. The Dome is what it is, but when that place is rocking it’s one of the best venues in the game. There’s still a draw but, as you noted, there are a lot more sharks swimming in the waters in their territory. They need to hire a killer that will move that program out of the stone age

Right, all it takes is a coach. I've said many times that's all that matters. Bruce Pearl would have Robert Morris as a Murray State type of team. But any advantage they once had is over. I dont think the move to the ACC is directly what hurt them. SHU, Prov, and Nova becoming big time has hurt them and Pitt. SHU and Prov essentially replaced Pitt and Syr. There's only so many players to go around. Also, players leaving home at 15 for basketball factories has negated a lot of the feeling that NE kids have to stay close and go to Syracuse. Now they'll go to Auburn, LSU, Creighton, whoever

There is a reason Boeheim (and Dixon) didn't want to leave the Big East for the ACC. We have been seeing it as has the Cuse. Other than 5-stars going to the "blue bloods" many players coming out of the Northeast would prefer playing in the Big East over the ACC.

Additionally, the Big East was more competitive and not dominated by two Blue Bloods at the top relegating everyone else almost every year to the second or third rung of the ladder.

I think anyone who prefers Pitt hoops to football like me would love the Big East back, but sadly I think that ship has sailed. I keep hoping that you see football break off into its own world and we see hoops and Olympic sports go regional again, but I’m not holding my breath.

The Big East is more competitive across the board than the ACC but they’ve got an interesting dynamic this year as well. I thought Creighton was going to be a world beater and they’re really in a slump leaving Connecticut as the only power in that league at the moment. Without Jay Wright, you’re seeing a real power shift that really hasn’t occurred in the ACC after the Roy/K left.

Right, all it takes is a coach. I've said many times that's all that matters. Bruce Pearl would have Robert Morris as a Murray State type of team. But any advantage they once had is over. I dont think the move to the ACC is directly what hurt them. SHU, Prov, and Nova becoming big time has hurt them and Pitt. SHU and Prov essentially replaced Pitt and Syr. There's only so many players to go around. Also, players leaving home at 15 for basketball factories has negated a lot of the feeling that NE kids have to stay close and go to Syracuse. Now they'll go to Auburn, LSU, Creighton, whoever

Well, the ACC move didn't
help , and Syracuse is no
balmy paradise, but they
do have Bball history and
tradition, an avid fan base,
and the Dome. Boeheim
overstayed his time IMO,
but make no mistake, they
make the right hire and
I could easily see them an
upper level ACC team.

I think anyone who prefers Pitt hoops to football like me would love the Big East back, but sadly I think that ship has sailed. I keep hoping that you see football break off into its own world and we see hoops and Olympic sports go regional again, but I’m not holding my breath.

The Big East is more competitive across the board than the ACC but they’ve got an interesting dynamic this year as well. I thought Creighton was going to be a world beater and they’re really in a slump leaving Connecticut as the only power in that league at the moment. Without Jay Wright, you’re seeing a real power shift that really hasn’t occurred in the ACC after the Roy/K left.
I think the future is in a national college football break-off with the power schools - of which Pitt is one. The natural tendency of capital to consolidate will eventually lead college football to abandon the current model of separate massive national TV deals on a regional conference basis and move more towards the NFL model with one massive broadcast rights deal across all of the national networks, with the regional TV broadcast maps that we’ve gotten used to in the NFL. Then they’ll sell the hell out of an out-of-network streaming service. It’s the only endgame that makes sense - it’ll be good for the sport, and also help resurrect basketball, which can enter into separate broadcast arrangements.

Reactions: Parkview57

In the last ten years either Duke or North Carolina have won the ACC regular season championship a combined four times, and one of those was a North Carolina tie for first with Virginia.

Counting that tie for first, Virginia has won five of them alone, more than Duke and North Carolina combined. Miami and Florida State have won the exact same number that Duke has, which is exactly one.

For the last decade, the big dog in ACC basketball has been Virginia, not Duke or North Carolina.

Apologies to anyone from that area, but I always thought Syracuse was the most depressing town I ever had to consistently visit. It’s not any different than Huntington, WV or Morgantown aesthetically, but throw in the weather and it trumps everything. So it amazed me that they can recruit there.

I say this as a native western PA guy who has plenty of self awareness about the place I’m from.

My family is about an hour south. Yes, some depressing urban areas but some of the nicest rural areas you’ll find in the northeast. Kind of like WV in that regard. Difference is there is a lot of money up there.

It actually felt like somewhere in Russia to me.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
In the last ten years either Duke or North Carolina have won the ACC regular season championship a combined four times, and one of those was a North Carolina tie for first with Virginia.

Counting that tie for first, Virginia has won five of them alone, more than Duke and North Carolina combined. Miami and Florida State have won the exact same number that Duke has, which is exactly one.

For the last decade, the big dog in ACC basketball has been Virginia, not Duke or North Carolina.

Word

Lake effect cloudcover keeps you from seeing the sun from sometime in October through most of March. Not a place to live if you suffer from S.A.D. Beautiful in summer, however.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
I think the future is in a national college football break-off with the power schools - of which Pitt is one. The natural tendency of capital to consolidate will eventually lead college football to abandon the current model of separate massive national TV deals on a regional conference basis and move more towards the NFL model with one massive broadcast rights deal across all of the national networks, with the regional TV broadcast maps that we’ve gotten used to in the NFL. Then they’ll sell the hell out of an out-of-network streaming service. It’s the only endgame that makes sense - it’ll be good for the sport, and also help resurrect basketball, which can enter into separate broadcast arrangements.
Agree somewhat with most of this model, but I just don’t see Pitt being included for football. I see it not being much more than 32. Probably less. More, and it thins the revenue too intolerably, and all the lower end schools (basically those like PSU, etc that can’t compete with the true powers) would want excessive numbers of playoff rounds to make sure they “get in” to assuage their boosters.

Right now we are borderline at best to fit within that group. It’s why I was hoping Pitt football could take another jump forward this past season…to increase perception for the coming Judgement Days.

How that affects basketball it remains to be seen. I even see the hypocrisy of current Pn conferences remaining intact for basketball and all other sports. The big schools simply don’t play football in the NCAA as the Big Ten or SEC or PAC or ACC, etc… but happily go along playing everything else like they always did, like nothing happened. Much like the Sandusky incident. NCAA (and schools like us) then doesn’t sue the new Uber League, and Vice versa… and the all important NCAA Tournament can go on like always.

Last edited:
Anyone remember @Exiled in da Cuse? He was a pretty good poster back in the day. I have to imagine he’s still here under a different name.

The mountains around Windber aren't exactly Tahiti.

Reactions: Pav9870

What about the 10 years prior to that, which is more relevant to the comment you’re replying to.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT