ADVERTISEMENT

A solid take

You're not ever getting that guy if Rudolph is heading into camp as the presumptive starter. Especially if you continue to ignore the OL. You can't just keep throwing money at the QB position and ignore the five guys that need to keep the QB upright. Ben couldn't win with the mish mash of garbage they put in front of him and they haven't done much to make that position group any better.

Do they put garbage in front of the QB's? I'm starting to wonder after seeing Dotson and Green earning to 10 grades after moving on. Maybe the OL coach needs to go the way of Canada.

i remember every game this year with Kenny, Mitch and rudolph. not worried about 2019. take your kenny pickett jersey off for a sec and try to look at this objectively, if possible.

I saw one good game by Rudolph this year. I saw him get beat out by the duck in 2019. I saw Pickett lead the Steelers to a 7-4 record and also throwing for 270 yards against the Bengals (similar to what Rudolph did against them).

Seems like you are the one with the yinzer Pickett hatred and not looking too objectively at this

I know, you say it a million times, you don't care that Kenny is from Pitt. But please name these handful of QB's that are available that will outperform Pickett if they suit up for Tomlin. Interested to hear who you discovered.
It's not up to me to research, like recruiting for college, I can name zero high school players. I'm saying THEY should see who's available.

I saw one good game by Rudolph this year. I saw him get beat out by the duck in 2019. I saw Pickett lead the Steelers to a 7-4 record and also throwing for 270 yards against the Bengals (similar to what Rudolph did against them).

Seems like you are the one with the yinzer Pickett hatred and not looking too objectively at this
You wouldn't be defending him at all if he wasn't from Pitt, if he was from Penn State, you'd be shouting that he's a bust and a pedo.

so you got nothing...thanks. Put in the backup!!
Cousins, Winston, Mayfield, Minshew, from what I see, they could all out produce what Kenny does, Kenny's main strength is he plays so super safe that he doesn't turn the ball over, and that is also why he has the lowest TD Pass % in NFL history among QBs with 500+ attempts, at the very least, cut the ball loose more often to chase some TDs.

Cousins, Winston, Mayfield, Minshew, from what I see, they could all out produce what Kenny does, Kenny's main strength is he plays so super safe that he doesn't turn the ball over, and that is also why he has the lowest TD Pass % in NFL history among QBs with 500+ attempts, at the very least, cut the ball loose more often to chase some TDs.

in the Tomlin offense? If you made a straight -up trade for Mayfield and stuck him behind center you're saying he would perform better here?

in the Tomlin offense? If you made a straight -up trade for Mayfield and stuck him behind center you're saying he would perform better here?
Change the offense to something from after the 1970s.

Tomlin Offense , those two words don't belong in the same sentence :)

so you're saying Pickett won't perform better in a new offense but Mayfield would?
Not sure, Mayfield has proven he can play as an NFL starter, I'd like to see Kenny try to play with people who don't believe in obsolete, archaic offensive football, but the jury is still out on him.

Do they put garbage in front of the QB's? I'm starting to wonder after seeing Dotson and Green earning to 10 grades after moving on. Maybe the OL coach needs to go the way of Canada.
I don't know. You'd think a HOF coach could see the trend and make that evaluation. Maybe someone needs to run over to the South Side and tell him to fire that guy, too?

So why are we switching everything up and bringing in a QB the club can't afford, again?
Steelers can never "afford" anything :)

Again? what QB we couldn't afford have we ever brought in before?

huge pickett fan, just able to look at it objectively and not be a cheerleader..

Reactions: Pitt79
Steelers can never "afford" anything :)

Again? what QB we couldn't afford have we ever brought in before?
Well, see, there's this rule about how much you can spend on your roster. You can't just spend freely, like baseball, to just sign whoever you want just because you can write big enough checks. And then, even if you get rid of a couple guys, you might still be on the hook for part of their salary against your spending "cap". Like, you could go sign Kirk Cousins but you can't afford to because you won't have much left to upgrade your O-line or try to replace the aging veterans on the defensive side of the ball.

Want to know the messed up part? A guy like James Daniels or Chucky Okorafor are into your cap for a lot of money and even if you were to replace them, you will still be limited because of the amount of money they're making. Even Kendrick Green is still costing you cap space. Bottom line, they have to get rid of about $7 million in cap hits just to break even with what the projected cap is going to be!

So no, the Steelers can't afford a fancy QB but they do have to go find a couple because ole Kenny is the only one that will be under contract going into 2024. I mean, if Mason is everything I've heard this week, he's going to demand franchise money and I don't know how you get there.

stick with Rudolph from here on out unless he absolutely craps the bed. Rudolph had the only good QB performance of the season and needs to be the starter for the remainder of the year..

Bring in a Free Agent QB in off season to compete for the starter qb with KP next year. New OC, clean slate, let the best man win..
I agree with sticking with Rudy for the rest of the year. He deserves it base on the last game and being a team guy. But I think you’re forgetting that KP had a pretty similar game against the bungles on the first game after they let Canada Dry go.

What is the over under on passing TDs and yards for Rudy this weekend. ? That’s assuming Rudy doesn’t get carried out on a stretcher

Well, see, there's this rule about how much you can spend on your roster. You can't just spend freely, like baseball, to just sign whoever you want just because you can write big enough checks. And then, even if you get rid of a couple guys, you might still be on the hook for part of their salary against your spending "cap". Like, you could go sign Kirk Cousins but you can't afford to because you won't have much left to upgrade your O-line or try to replace the aging veterans on the defensive side of the ball.

Want to know the messed up part? A guy like James Daniels or Chucky Okorafor are into your cap for a lot of money and even if you were to replace them, you will still be limited because of the amount of money they're making. Even Kendrick Green is still costing you cap space. Bottom line, they have to get rid of about $7 million in cap hits just to break even with what the projected cap is going to be!

So no, the Steelers can't afford a fancy QB but they do have to go find a couple because ole Kenny is the only one that will be under contract going into 2024. I mean, if Mason is everything I've heard this week, he's going to demand franchise money and I don't know how you get there.
You didn't answer the question? You said again, when did they do it before? Other teams do it and it works for them, why can't the Steelers ever be a team that does something like that? Recently they bought bargain basement free agents like you mention, and it doesn't work, Steelers Way has been FAILING for at least a decade. so maybe do something different? Especially new HC and modern offense, and drop the conservative old school BS.

Winston is hot garbage. He’s a less mobile Mitch T

Cousins Minshew and Especially mayfield will be in demand. In fact cousins and mayfield will get big money contracts after this season. They’ll get to pick the team they want to play for. Playing behind this ok with the limited wr and te talent is not as attractive as other options they will have Tampa is a far better situation for Mayfield

Not to mention that mayfield and cousins will have better options than the dumpster fire in Pittsburgh Hell Tampa is a far better option for mayfield and would cousins rather throw to Jefferson and Addison or Pickens and Johnson behind the crappy OL

You didn't answer the question? You said again, when did they do it before? Other teams do it and it works for them, why can't the Steelers ever be a team that does something like that? Recently they bought bargain basement free agents like you mention, and it doesn't work, Steelers Way has been FAILING for at least a decade. so maybe do something different? Especially new HC and modern offense, and drop the conservative old school BS.
Umm, I don't know what old school this and conservative that, has to do with being able to afford QB's.

If you want to know how other teams afford QB's, probably the same way the Steelers did it with Ben.

Umm, I don't know what old school this and conservative that, has to do with being able to afford QB's.

If you want to know how other teams afford QB's, probably the same way the Steelers did it with Ben.
And it was worth it paying for Ben, they did go to 3 Super Bowls won 2, which is tied for 2nd most in this century, behind only NE, and even all the years they fell short it was way more entertaining watching Ben play than what we see now, it was well worth spending half your cap on Ben.

And it was worth it paying for Ben, they did go to 3 Super Bowls won 2, which is tied for 2nd most in this century, behind only NE, and even all the years they fell short it was way more entertaining watching Ben play than what we see now, it was well worth spending half your cap on Ben.
So you concede that the Steelers have done it. Thank you.

Now, assuming they're going to do it again, who can they legitimately bring in to compete for that job next summer?

Now, assuming they're going to do it again, who can they legitimately bring in to compete for that job next summer?
Cousins and Tanneyhill are going to want too much or a guaranteed spot so scratch them off list. Some interesting names are Darnold, Mayfield, Minshew, and even Browning.

just have to find that right mix of someone who is decent but knows they have to compete with Kenny and wont be handed the spot. no clue what they want as far as money but cant be much more than what we paid Mitch over the last two years..

just dont see us trading for Fields though, despite the online rumors (baseless rumors) and now the latest rumors im seeing on twitter are "westbrook to pittsburgh" which is non-sensical.

i think Rudolph gets the hell out of pittsburgh as fast as he can and i dont blame him. he plays well these last two games, i think he gets some offers.

Reactions: pittdan77

I would have answered the question the same way and added. “There is no substitute for playing on the field”. However deep down, he should have learned a few things:

1. Stay in the pocket as long as possible before bailing.

2. The Pittsburgh fans are fickled.

3. The WR’s and OL are inconsistent and don’t expect them to play well every week.

4. The Bengals defense is bad.

I would have answered the question the same way and added. “There is no substitute for playing on the field”. However deep down, he should have learned a few things:

1. Stay in the pocket as long as possible before bailing.

2. The Pittsburgh fans are fickled.

3. The WR’s and OL are inconsistent and don’t expect them to play well every week.

4. The Bengals defense is bad.
someone is out of midol.

Saying I want to do it, doesn't mean that I need to give a name, it's like the question, who do you hire if you fire Tomlin, the answer can just be SOMEONE ELSE. If Kenny doesn't start really producing soon, they need to get someone else, even if they have to pay.

Saying I want to do it, doesn't mean that I need to give a name

I want the Chiefs to trade Patrick Mahomes to the Stillers while retaining most of his salary against the salary cap.

And if you say "well yeah, but how can they do that", I'll just wave it away and say that I have no idea, that's for someone else to figure out, but I know the Stillers would be a lot better if they just do that one simple thing.

Saying I want to do it, doesn't mean that I need to give a name, it's like the question, who do you hire if you fire Tomlin, the answer can just be SOMEONE ELSE. If Kenny doesn't start really producing soon, they need to get someone else, even if they have to pay.
Not really because the pool of candidates that won't be under contract is pretty small. I just assumed you had a name because you were so adamant about the course of action the Steelers should take.

There are three definite constraints. First is, do they have the money and the second is, is that person available, and is that person sign-able? You need a yes for all three before you can actually do it and, as I said, the Steelers can't afford anyone that good because they have so many other holes to fill and are going to be right against the cap anyway.

Cousins and Tanneyhill are going to want too much or a guaranteed spot so scratch them off list. Some interesting names are Darnold, Mayfield, Minshew, and even Browning.

just have to find that right mix of someone who is decent but knows they have to compete with Kenny and wont be handed the spot. no clue what they want as far as money but cant be much more than what we paid Mitch over the last two years..

just dont see us trading for Fields though, despite the online rumors (baseless rumors) and now the latest rumors im seeing on twitter are "westbrook to pittsburgh" which is non-sensical.

i think Rudolph gets the hell out of pittsburgh as fast as he can and i dont blame him. he plays well these last two games, i think he gets some offers.
Drafting a guy in the first round who had you at 7-4 before he got hurt badly enough he needed surgery (he had been playing hurt for a while) shouldn't send waves of panic through any franchise. The guy is on a rookie contract so he's not breaking the bank. They need competent backups they can afford. But every team does.

Steelers need to spend more effort on hiring a competent coordinator first and foremost. Then they need to figure out the O-line. At least need to find a solid center to anchor the line and do something with the other tackle. That won't be cheap or easy. Nobody good is going to want to play QB for you until those two things are addressed.

Drafting a guy in the first round who had you at 7-4 before he got hurt badly enough he needed surgery (he had been playing hurt for a while) shouldn't send waves of panic through any franchise. The guy is on a rookie contract so he's not breaking the bank. They need competent backups they can afford. But every team does.

Steelers need to spend more effort on hiring a competent coordinator first and foremost. Then they need to figure out the O-line. At least need to find a solid center to anchor the line and do something with the other tackle. That won't be cheap or easy. Nobody good is going to want to play QB for you until those two things are addressed.
i pretty much agree with all of this. im not panicking on pickett, just need to upgrade the room (AKA MItch) and bring in someone to compete with him.

but yes, the OC and the OL are top priority, no argument there. Moore needs replaced, Chuks is gone and i freakin hate our center, with a passion.

I want the Chiefs to trade Patrick Mahomes to the Stillers while retaining most of his salary against the salary cap.

And if you say "well yeah, but how can they do that", I'll just wave it away and say that I have no idea, that's for someone else to figure out, but I know the Stillers would be a lot better if they just do that one simple thing.
That's a STUPID comment, saying you think they should sign another QB but not knowing exactly who is totally sane, not magical at all, so is the idea that THEY need to figure it out, not me.

... the Steelers can't afford anyone that good because they have so many other holes to fill and are going to be right against the cap anyway.
Start spending less on defense and if not this year, maybe in the next 2-3 years spend it on offense and a good QB, unless Kenny surprises us all and becomes good somehow.

That's a STUPID comment, saying you think they should sign another QB but not knowing exactly who is totally sane, not magical at all, so is the idea that THEY need to figure it out, not me.

Right, it's stupid to say that they should do something without having any idea how it could happen, but on the other hand saying that they should be doing something without any idea of how they could make it happen is perfectly fine.

Wait, which one of those was you and which one of those was me mocking you again?

Right, it's stupid to say that they should do something without having any idea how it could happen, but on the other hand saying that they should be doing something without any idea of how they could make it happen is perfectly fine.

Wait, which one of those was you and which one of those was me mocking you again?
You're an A-hole, WTF is wrong with saying they should bring in another QB, THEY SHOULD, THEY SHOULD, THEY SHOULD, and it can be said, without naming for them who it should be and without explaining all the details, like the salary cap etc, that's for them to figure out, I don't need to have any idea how it could happen to say that it's something they should pursue, like the morons probably like you, who when you say they should fire Tomlin they ask, who would you replace him with? Saying he should be fired is one issue, you can say he should be fired , WITHOUT giving suggestions of who they should replace him with. In fact it's stupid to even have suggestions, because it's 99% sure you won't come close to predicting it, when they hired Tomlin, where you saying "Tomlin" when asked who they should hire? no you weren't.

So yeah, it's perfectly fine to say THEY SHOULD TRY TO GET ANOTHER QB IN THE OFF SEASON, because it's something they need badly, who that might be IS ON THEM to figure out, how they pay for him, how much they pay for him IS ON THEM to figure out. with your idiotic mind set, nobody can suggest anything that they should do without scanning the list of free agents and do the salary cap math first, that's ridiculous

Why the hell would you declare anyone the starter after this season? You bring in a FA and let him know he has every opportunity to start.
You're not ever getting that guy if Rudolph is heading into camp as the presumptive starter. Especially if you continue to ignore the OL. You can't just keep throwing money at the QB position and ignore the five guys that need to keep the QB upright. Ben couldn't win with the mish mash of garbage they put in front of him and they haven't done much to make that position group any better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT