ADVERTISEMENT

ACC/Big 12 Merger

Who the heck do we think Pitt is if we're saying we're too good for Kansas State and Louisville?
Yeah. Unfortunately Pitt and Ga Tech are in the same boat. They are our doppleganger more than any other school.

1. Great and long traditions
2. Great Academics
3. City School
4. Many Pro Teams.
5. Within a 250 mile radius exists some of the most rabid and successful programs that would limit any fanbase growth.
Pitt: PSU, tOSU, Michigan, ND and WVU. (Even Maryland if you want).
GT: UGa, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina .

Who the heck do we think Pitt is if we're saying we're too good for Kansas State and Louisville?

Its embarrassing to be associated with all those JUCOs. I know we arent buying tickets to watch math competitions but as a Pitt alum/fan, I dont like competing against so many quasi-colleges. A few of them, fine, but there's too many. I can deal with WVU due to proximity, one of the Kansas's but why do we need Iowa State, Houston, Cincy, etc? They are misfits.

Reactions: SilverSpringWVU
Yeah. Unfortunately Pitt and Ga Tech are in the same boat. They are our doppleganger more than any other school.

1. Great and long traditions
2. Great Academics
3. City School
4. Many Pro Teams.
5. Within a 250 mile radius exists some of the most rabid and successful programs that would limit any fanbase growth.
Pitt: PSU, tOSU, Michigan, ND and WVU. (Even Maryland if you want).
GT: UGa, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina .

Yeah, they're very much alike. I might put their ceiling a little ahead of ours on account of recruiting base, but then again I'm not sure how true the "all GT players have to pass calculus" thing is; that would certainly mitigate the recruiting location thing. Either way, about as similar to us as any other program, as you said.

If this happens, why not take this opportunity to finally cut some of the schools/programs that don't offer anything and never have?

Again, the true model that would likely work the best is break out football on its own. Go back to traditional regional conferences for all other, including BB.

Its embarrassing to be associated with all those JUCOs. I know we arent buying tickets to watch math competitions but as a Pitt alum/fan, I dont like competing against so many quasi-colleges. A few of them, fine, but there's too many. I can deal with WVU due to proximity, one of the Kansas's but why do we need Iowa State, Houston, Cincy, etc? They are misfits.
For me it's less embarrassed to be associated with certain schools but more of an "island of misfit toys" conferences are doomed pragmatism. The old Big East was a total mishmash of schools that had nothing in common on the football side of things and then you had the basketball schools and all of their needs, every deal seemed to be based on what's good for Providence and Seton Hall. The ACC was an improvement but still had the likes of BC and Wake, the good old boy network of bs like the Raycom deal, all the power being located within the four North Carolina schools, why do you think Maryland went into severe debt when they had a chance to leave. Also the SMU addition was dumb, the whole "they're rich" argument is silly and it just opens the doors for more "they're rich" schools to be the ones added once the B1G and SEC raids happen.

A brand new conference of good to great public schools, blue blood private schools like Duke and Stanford and then a nonsectarian private school that's bigger than some public schools like Syracuse, is the way to go. There's way way too much baggage with small private schools no matter how much money they have, little brother state schools, religious schools with tons of rules on when they can play, and religious schools that have histories of covering up crimes.

For me it's less embarrassed to be associated with certain schools but more of an "island of misfit toys" conferences are doomed pragmatism. The old Big East was a total mishmash of schools that had nothing in common on the football side of things and then you had the basketball schools and all of their needs, every deal seemed to be based on what's good for Providence and Seton Hall. The ACC was an improvement but still had the likes of BC and Wake, the good old boy network of bs like the Raycom deal, all the power being located within the four North Carolina schools, why do you think Maryland went into severe debt when they had a chance to leave. Also the SMU addition was dumb, the whole "they're rich" argument is silly and it just opens the doors for more "they're rich" schools to be the ones added once the B1G and SEC raids happen.

A brand new conference of good to great public schools, blue blood private schools like Duke and Stanford and then a nonsectarian private school that's bigger than some public schools like Syracuse, is the way to go. There's way way too much baggage with small private schools no matter how much money they have, little brother state schools, religious schools with tons of rules on when they can play, and religious schools that have histories of covering up crimes.

You realize, like or not, we are a "little brother" school in our state. At the end of the day though, I hope we can get into the Big XII after the ACC raids happen. And where I was like 95% sure that would happen, I'm now not much after Ross Delinger's article from about a week ago where he explicitely called out Louisville and Duke being the Big XII's top targets to help grow their BB brand if/when the ACC floodgates open.

I'd rather be associated with the BIg XII (we are not getting in the BIG or SEC) than in a leftover ACC that will likely be more AAC than ACC.

Honestly though, the best bet would be one day the BIG and SEC power schools break off and leave behind the Purdue's, Indiana's, Minnesota's of the world behind and we can get with them. But that is not a guarantee and could be years down the road.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
You realize, like or not, we are a "little brother" school in our state. At the end of the day though, I hope we can get into the Big XII after the ACC raids happen. And where I was like 95% sure that would happen, I'm now not much after Ross Delinger's article from about a week ago where he explicitely called out Louisville and Duke being the Big XII's top targets to help grow their BB brand if/when the ACC floodgates open.

I'd rather be associated with the BIg XII (we are not getting in the BIG or SEC) than in a leftover ACC that will likely be more AAC than ACC.

Honestly though, the best bet would be one day the BIG and SEC power schools break off and leave behind the Purdue's, Indiana's, Minnesota's of the world behind and we can get with them. But that is not a guarantee and could be years down the road.
As a Pitt basketball fan first and foremost, my dream scenario is:

We end up in the Big 12 with Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, and UConn. I’d have the greatest conference tournament ever assembled 15mins away from my front door! :cool:
tenor.gif

why do you think Maryland went into severe debt when they had a chance to leave.

You have the cause and effect completely backwards there. Maryland was in severe debt, that was why they left. Their hope was that someday, eventually, they would make enough money from the Big Ten to pay off the ridiculous amount of debt they ran up while they were in the ACC.

And hey, it looks like they are eventually going to be right. I mean not yet, but the day is coming when they will. Maryland is still paying off the Big Ten for the loan that the Big Ten gave them against future revenues when the joined the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT