ADVERTISEMENT

ACC to hire Northwestern AD as next commissioner

Completely agree with you. Both in larger metro regions as opposed to state land grant institutions (I know UCF is enormous but more urban/metro with many commuter students). Both “feel” ACC and would bring extra $$ to the ACC given its frustrating ESPN deal. It would benefit each of the ACC schools by significantly increasing the $$ per school. Not entirely because of the 2 schools but because the 2 schools are attractive enough to allow a complete revisiting of the contract at large.
See i dont agree with that. Specifically with ucf. The only schools I'd want that may be somewhat realistic even if slightly is wvu and nd.

She hired the wrestling coach and women's soccer coach. The latter was a national splash hire, and while major improvement in the program has been seen, Waldrum has yet to bust into the NCAAs with Pitt.

Pitt's two most proven coaches, Dan Fisher and Jay Vidovich, were hired by Pederson and Barnes, respectively.

Heather's most high profile move was firing Stallings with most of his contract remaining and hiring Capel. She also has had some questionable moves, like pushing out Holly Aprile and she whiffed on some hires. IMO, the jury is still out on Heather, which is a lot more than can be said about Scott Barnes at this point in his tenure, but her legacy will also depend somewhat on the success of Victory Heights and how she manages the football program.

I think victory heights is extremely important. I just hope covid didn't wreck everything.

Maybe Navy. Helps fill Md donut hole and gives Irish everything they want except Mich and USC LOL.
I’ve seen people float this idea before, but how would this work re: membership? Assuming Navy is football-only, would we go after, say, a Big East school to take their place in all other sports?

The guy from the Athletic who wrote on it today loved the hire, and concluded his article with this:

"The Big Ten’s loss is the ACC’s gain. Score one more for the power conference that forever moves in silence while carrying a big stick."

Yeah, all the pieces are in place except the tv money gap. The easiest would be getting ND but even now the ACC tv viewership numbers outperform what they are getting paid. The gap should be smaller.

Notre Dame as a full member (with football) would be enough to bring ESPN to the bargaining table, I’d think. The whole NBC thing would present enough moving pieces to make it happen.

If I had my choice, though, I’d bring in ND as a full member, add Rutgers and bring back Maryland, and tell Louisville to find a new home. But that’s obviously not going to happen.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Completely agree with you. Both in larger metro regions as opposed to state land grant institutions (I know UCF is enormous but more urban/metro with many commuter students). Both “feel” ACC and would bring extra $$ to the ACC given its frustrating ESPN deal. It would benefit each of the ACC schools by significantly increasing the $$ per school. Not entirely because of the 2 schools but because the 2 schools are attractive enough to allow a complete revisiting of the contract at large.
Great point on using them as leverage for re-negotiating the contract with ESPN.

Seems credible and a perfect fit for .... the B10 commish.
My guess is the southern ACC fb schools won't be thrilled.

SEC Commisioner Greg Sankey is from Auburn, NY and is a Syracuse grad. So are SEC fans not “thrilled” with him?

You hire the BEST and MOST QUALIFIED person you can based on your criteria and search results.

Wilbon knows the guy well and doesn’t hold back on his opinion. They are both connected to Northwestern. I am a fan of PTI, so we differ on that.

I used to be a huge PTI guy. And in this instance Wilbon probably does have a good read as a Northwestern dude. I just think he's gone so deep into the old man shouting at clouds schtick.

I do love how much he hates Sidney Crosby and how hard it's been for him to deal with the Pens' success over the years.

Notre Dame as a full member (with football) would be enough to bring ESPN to the bargaining table, I’d think. The whole NBC thing would present enough moving pieces to make it happen.

If I had my choice, though, I’d bring in ND as a full member, add Rutgers and bring back Maryland, and tell Louisville to find a new home. But that’s obviously not going to happen.

Rutgers is a waste.

It would be:

1. Maryland
2. UConn
3. WVU
4. Temple (if they get a stadium)
5. Cincy

Rutgers is a waste.

It would be:

1. Maryland
2. UConn
3. WVU
4. Temple (if they get a stadium)
5. Cincy
If you’re thinking strictly in terms of historic football success, I suppose that might be true. But we all know that conference expansions aren’t made strictly on historic football success.

New Jersey has double the population (and TVs) as Connecticut, its football program - while as historically bad as UConn’s is - is actually going to exist going forward, Rutgers has double the number of living alumni than UConn, UConn has already cut four sports to drop their total to 18, and both schools are relatively similar academically. I’m not sure why Rutgers would leave the B1G for the ACC, but I think they’re a more natural fit for a bunch of different reasons.

For those that didn’t read the article, this tidbit stood out:

“ESPN isn’t in the business of ripping up contracts that are lopsided in its favor, which means something seismic like a membership addition would be needed to shake up the deal.”

Could ACC expansion be on the horizon? If so, who do they/we target? I’d imagine persuading Notre Dame to become a full-time member would be top priority, but possibly someone like WVU? Try to poach a northeast school from the Big Ten?

ND and Texas. ;)

If you’re thinking strictly in terms of historic football success, I suppose that might be true. But we all know that conference expansions aren’t made strictly on historic football success.

New Jersey has double the population (and TVs) as Connecticut, its football program - while as historically bad as UConn’s is - is actually going to exist going forward, Rutgers has double the number of living alumni than UConn, UConn has already cut four sports to drop their total to 18, and both schools are relatively similar academically. I’m not sure why Rutgers would leave the B1G for the ACC, but I think they’re a more natural fit for a bunch of different reasons.

Rutgers is in love with the Big Ten and would never leave. Even if they wanted to, the ACC wouldn't take them because their basketball program sucks historically and both UConn and RU football suck so you take UConn hoops and be done.

You know you would rather be in the ACC

I used to be a huge PTI guy. And in this instance Wilbon probably does have a good read as a Northwestern dude. I just think he's gone so deep into the old man shouting at clouds schtick.

I do love how much he hates Sidney Crosby and how hard it's been for him to deal with the Pens' success over the years.

I think Tony and Mike are still great because the sports talk is their opinions. They don't hide their fandom and they aren't constantly throwing out hot takes like the rest of that station.

Great point on using them as leverage for re-negotiating the contract with ESPN.

When the ACC went to ESPN and said that they were adding Central Florida and Cincinnati and demanded extra money, and not just extra money, but enought to bring the two schools up to a full share now and then some more on top of that, the only real question would be how long would it take for the ESPN people to stop laughing.

Reactions: ThePanthers
When the ACC went to ESPN and said that they were adding Central Florida and Cincinnati and demanded extra money, and not just extra money, but enought to bring the two schools up to a full share now and then some more on top of that, the only real question would be how long would it take for the ESPN people to stop laughing.
I always admire an insult without logic. It appeals to the 6th grade boy in me.

I always admire an insult without logic. It appeals to the 6th grade boy in me.

OK, how about this. Cincinnati and UCF are both members of the AAC. The ACC just last year signed a new contract with ESPN. It was for an average of around $85 million per season for the whole conference. That was before UConn bailed out on them. I don't know how it turned out, but after UConn bailed ESPN wanted to reopen the contract, because a lot of the value of the contract was tied up in UConn men's and women's basketball. But let's assume that they didn't make any changes and the $85 million average per season is still the number.

The non-Notre Dame ACC schools are getting close to $30 million from the conference each year. That would mean that combined UCF and Cincinnati would have to bring in $60 million more per year just to be break even for the conference and the schools. Which means that you would have to think that those two schools are responsible for more than 70% of the total value of the AAC's television contract just to break even. Which is, of course, absurd. Even if you assumed that their contract is still paying $85 million per year (and it's likely not) and ALL of that money was because of UCF and Cincinnati that wouldn't even increase the per team payouts to the ACC schools by $1.5 million per year.

There is a reason that the AAC couldn't do better in their contract with ESPN than what they did. And that's because the rights to those schools' games simply aren't worth all that much. That won't magically change by adding them to the ACC.

OK, how about this. Cincinnati and UCF are both members of the AAC. The ACC just last year signed a new contract with ESPN. It was for an average of around $85 million per season for the whole conference. That was before UConn bailed out on them. I don't know how it turned out, but after UConn bailed ESPN wanted to reopen the contract, because a lot of the value of the contract was tied up in UConn men's and women's basketball. But let's assume that they didn't make any changes and the $85 million average per season is still the number.

The non-Notre Dame ACC schools are getting close to $30 million from the conference each year. That would mean that combined UCF and Cincinnati would have to bring in $60 million more per year just to be break even for the conference and the schools. Which means that you would have to think that those two schools are responsible for more than 70% of the total value of the AAC's television contract just to break even. Which is, of course, absurd. Even if you assumed that their contract is still paying $85 million per year (and it's likely not) and ALL of that money was because of UCF and Cincinnati that wouldn't even increase the per team payouts to the ACC schools by $1.5 million per year.

There is a reason that the AAC couldn't do better in their contract with ESPN than what they did. And that's because the rights to those schools' games simply aren't worth all that much. That won't magically change by adding them to the ACC.
Add to that the big xii explored adding them 2 years ago and espn said it wouldn't add much at all.

What do you think espn is going to say? Have you guys ever negotiated? Truth isn’t in the vocabulary.

We added actual backup and real life events and if you still want to believe ucf will add millions then go ahead. I can't change your mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT