ADVERTISEMENT

ACC's Swofford Talks Cost Of Attendance, Football Playoff, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
As pointed out many times on my postings, College Football has never been an "Even Playing Field" even with the limit of 85 scholarships.

It is a good thing that the Power Conferences must confront the coming disparities and once again just like in Coaching Salaries (Head & Assistants) Money Resources, Recruiting Summer Camps, different Colleges will use their advantages and keep driving up costs at higher rates than revenues to keep these advantages to keep Alumni happy and contributing, but Social Justice will come to pass over time, in my opinion.

Until University President's running Non-Profits turns College Football to a "For Profit" League with all sharing the resources and revenues, reorganize conferences that use geography to keep cost lower, sell out regional close by schools as well re-establish Historical Rivalries, and go to a 8 Team National Championship Playoff and live up to the Ideals of College Football Education in light of modern day realities for the Athletes.....College football will continue to be an uneven, unfair, and unbalance League whereby only about 20 to 25 Programs will dominate over the other 65 Power Conferences Programs and remaining 63 FBS Football Programs!

Sooner or later just like as Martin Luther King called America and its Founding Fathers creating one of finest Nation and Laws on Earth History, but was not living up to such Ideals for All The Rights Of All People, the University Presidents, Power Conferences, and NCAA will have to accept that Social Justice for all Athletes in all College Programs will eventually come to pass and create a Revenue Sharing Model among all Programs in the Power Conferences very similar to the NFL and accept a "For Profit College Football League" is a reality to discard the current injustices and uneven competition still existing in CFB! It will happen one day, maybe not one day soon, but the realities facing the Universities & Football Program level playing field will happen because it is good for everyone and not just a few!

So long as a few make millions and many others including the College Athletes make thousands, and costs continue to increase at 4 times the rate of revenues, and attendance declines, eventually College Football will address these inequalities and coming chaos brought about by the Courts and soon Congress or the President may step in, just like when President Roosevelt help create the NCAA to protect the Student Athletes but that model has come to be obsolete as well today.

Article & Link & Highlights:

AMELIA ISLAND, Fla. — ACC commissioner John Swofford's problems never go away, but he is comfortable with what he calls “the new normal” that blankets his conference. Speaking to reporters Thursday on the final day of the ACC spring meetings, he had the relaxed look of a commissioner whose league recently has expanded to — and settled on — 14 schools and Notre Dame.

“I don't know what normal is anymore in our profession,” he said. “This (meeting) felt more normal than it has in years.” In competitions, ACC teams — most notably Florida State (football), Duke (men's basketball) and Notre Dame (women's basketball) — remain among the most prominent in college athletics.

Equally important, the ACC's standing as a Power 5 conference puts it among the collegiate power brokers, an important position as universities prepare for the first time to write to student-athletes cost-of-attendance checks that will cover costs beyond scholarships. “We know it's coming,” said Pitt athletic director Scott Barnes, not trying to sound ominous but wary of the inherent problems.

Foremost among them is how to eliminate or lessen the disparity that exists in how much money each school can offer. For example, Penn State ($4,788) hands out more than Pitt ($3,300), which offers more than West Virginia ($1,971).

It's an issue that carries into the living rooms of high school athletes lured by coaches using previously unheard of bait. “We are very supportive of (cost of attendance),” Swofford said. “But a lot of times when you take a step that people haven't lived with before, there is a certain discomfort, particularly where there is a federal formula that gives a certain amount of leeway from institution to institution.” But he points out, “There always has been a difference in the value of scholarships.”

University presidents are seeking ways to level the playing field and find extra money. “We have to be right on top of the implementation process and understand exactly what that means,” Barnes said.

Other matters Swofford addressed Thursday:

• Graduate transfers: Barnes suggested they could be forced to sit out a year to help them move toward their graduate degrees. Swofford said the ACC has no definitive position but added: “I hate to penalize a student-athlete who's already graduated and done everything the right way, academically.”

Schedule: With eight league games and two divisions, schools go many years without playing some others. Expanding to nine games would help, and Swofford didn't rule it out. “I don't think that has gone away as a possibility,” he said, “but I don't want to give you the impression we are on the verge of changing anything because we are not.”

He also said advancing the two football teams with the best records to the title game, regardless of division, has not been discussed.

• The college football playoff: Swofford doesn't sense a movement to expand from four to eight teams before the end of the ESPN contract in 2025. But he said he likes eight “from a purely football standpoint.” “I thought eight was a really good number, with the five power conferences having a guaranteed slot and three at-large spots.” (I READ THIS THAT IT WILL HAPPEN EBFEORE 2025!)

He said exams in December and a desire to avoid football becoming a two-semester sport “make it really difficult to go beyond four.”

A December signing day: The NCAA could make it law in June, and Swofford said there is plenty of support for it. The February date would remain unchanged.

An ACC TV network: The idea was proposed two years ago, and Swofford said the league is on schedule with its plans. He declined to discuss potential start-up dates.

The new Pitt athletic director: Barnes gives the ACC four ADs who were chairmen of the NCAA men's basketball tournament committee (Georgia Tech's Mike Bobinski), Wake Forest's Ron Wellman and Virginia's Craig Littlepage).

Scott is really well thought of in AD circles,” Swofford said. “A good hire, in my opinion.”

Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at jdipaola@tribweb.com or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/8326480-74/swofford-acc-football#ixzz3aDiCPeda

images

Last edited:
As pointed out many times on my postings, College Football has never been an "Even Playing Field" even with the limit of 85 scholarships.

It is a good thing that the Power Conferences must confront the coming disparities and once again just like in Coaching Salaries (Head & Assistants) Money Resources, Recruiting Summer Camps, different Colleges will use their advantages and keep driving up costs at higher rates than revenues to keep these advantages to keep Alumni happy and contributing, but Social Justice will come to pass over time, in my opinion.

Until University President's running Non-Profits turns College Football to a "For Profit" League with all sharing the resources and revenues, reorganize conferences that use geography to keep cost lower, sell out regional close by schools as well re-establish Historical Rivalries, and go to a 8 Team National Championship Playoff and live up to the Ideals of College Football Education in light of modern day realities for the Athletes.....College football will continue to be an uneven, unfair, and unbalance League whereby only about 20 to 25 Programs will dominate over the other 65 Power Conferences Programs and remaining 63 FBS Football Programs!

Sooner or later just like as Martin Luther King called America and its Founding Fathers creating one of finest Nation and Laws on Earth History, but was not living up to such Ideals for All The Rights Of All People, the University Presidents, Power Conferences, and NCAA will have to accept that Social Justice for all Athletes in all College Programs will eventually come to pass and create a Revenue Sharing Model among all Programs in the Power Conferences very similar to the NFL and accept a "For Profit College Football League" is a reality to discard the current injustices and uneven competition still existing in CFB! It will happen one day, maybe not one day soon, but the realities facing the Universities & Football Program level playing field will happen because it is good for everyone and not just a few!

So long as a few make millions and many others including the College Athletes make thousands, and costs continue to increase at 4 times the rate of revenues, and attendance declines, eventually College Football will address these inequalities and coming chaos brought about by the Courts and soon Congress or the President may step in, just like when President Roosevelt help create the NCAA to protect the Student Athletes but that model has come to be obsolete as well today.

Article & Link & Highlights:

AMELIA ISLAND, Fla. — ACC commissioner John Swofford's problems never go away, but he is comfortable with what he calls “the new normal” that blankets his conference. Speaking to reporters Thursday on the final day of the ACC spring meetings, he had the relaxed look of a commissioner whose league recently has expanded to — and settled on — 14 schools and Notre Dame.

“I don't know what normal is anymore in our profession,” he said. “This (meeting) felt more normal than it has in years.” In competitions, ACC teams — most notably Florida State (football), Duke (men's basketball) and Notre Dame (women's basketball) — remain among the most prominent in college athletics.

Equally important, the ACC's standing as a Power 5 conference puts it among the collegiate power brokers, an important position as universities prepare for the first time to write to student-athletes cost-of-attendance checks that will cover costs beyond scholarships. “We know it's coming,” said Pitt athletic director Scott Barnes, not trying to sound ominous but wary of the inherent problems.

Foremost among them is how to eliminate or lessen the disparity that exists in how much money each school can offer. For example, Penn State ($4,788) hands out more than Pitt ($3,300), which offers more than West Virginia ($1,971).

It's an issue that carries into the living rooms of high school athletes lured by coaches using previously unheard of bait. “We are very supportive of (cost of attendance),” Swofford said. “But a lot of times when you take a step that people haven't lived with before, there is a certain discomfort, particularly where there is a federal formula that gives a certain amount of leeway from institution to institution.” But he points out, “There always has been a difference in the value of scholarships.”

University presidents are seeking ways to level the playing field and find extra money. “We have to be right on top of the implementation process and understand exactly what that means,” Barnes said.

Other matters Swofford addressed Thursday:

• Graduate transfers: Barnes suggested they could be forced to sit out a year to help them move toward their graduate degrees. Swofford said the ACC has no definitive position but added: “I hate to penalize a student-athlete who's already graduated and done everything the right way, academically.”

Schedule: With eight league games and two divisions, schools go many years without playing some others. Expanding to nine games would help, and Swofford didn't rule it out. “I don't think that has gone away as a possibility,” he said, “but I don't want to give you the impression we are on the verge of changing anything because we are not.”

He also said advancing the two football teams with the best records to the title game, regardless of division, has not been discussed.

• The college football playoff: Swofford doesn't sense a movement to expand from four to eight teams before the end of the ESPN contract in 2025. But he said he likes eight “from a purely football standpoint.” “I thought eight was a really good number, with the five power conferences having a guaranteed slot and three at-large spots.” (I READ THIS THAT IT WILL HAPPEN EBFEORE 2025!)

He said exams in December and a desire to avoid football becoming a two-semester sport “make it really difficult to go beyond four.”

A December signing day: The NCAA could make it law in June, and Swofford said there is plenty of support for it. The February date would remain unchanged.

An ACC TV network: The idea was proposed two years ago, and Swofford said the league is on schedule with its plans. He declined to discuss potential start-up dates.

The new Pitt athletic director: Barnes gives the ACC four ADs who were chairmen of the NCAA men's basketball tournament committee (Georgia Tech's Mike Bobinski), Wake Forest's Ron Wellman and Virginia's Craig Littlepage).

Scott is really well thought of in AD circles,” Swofford said. “A good hire, in my opinion.”

Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at jdipaola@tribweb.com or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/8326480-74/swofford-acc-football#ixzz3aDiCPeda

images
I said it before and I will say it again,guaranteeing the 5 Power Conferences a spot at an 8 team playoff table will cause one whole bunch of trouble some day. Look at your conference champs every year and more often than not you are looking at a 2 or 3 loss team somewhere. Teams should have to earn their way in based on a whole season body of work. You get a 3 loss team bumping a 1 or 0 loss team off in a conference championship game and you've got a dozen teams more deserving sitting at home.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I said it before and I will say it again,guaranteeing the 5 Power Conferences a spot at an 8 team playoff table will cause one whole bunch of trouble some day. Look at your conference champs every year and more often than not you are looking at a 2 or 3 loss team somewhere. Teams should have to earn their way in based on a whole season body of work. You get a 3 loss team bumping a 1 or 0 loss team off in a conference championship game and you've got a dozen teams more deserving sitting at home.

The whole point of automatic bids is money. That's the motivation there.

Aside from that, it doesn't matter if you have a 2-3 loss team in the playoffs. It's more important to have a pathway to earn a spot, rather than have it based purely on speculation. The problem is, there aren't enough intersectional games to make an accurate determination about how good teams actually are. Just because a team is 12-0 or 11-1 doesn't mean that team is better than a 10-2, 9-3 team, because we don't really know the quality of competition each team plays.

If a 9-3 doesn't deserve to make it to the playoffs, then they will get killed in the first round. If the 9-3 team wins it, then we know the other teams weren't playing competition as good as the 9-3 team was.

If an 11-1 team gets left out, it's their own fault. They had a opportunity to win their conference and take matters into their own hands.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT