ADVERTISEMENT

AD interview on PITT facilities,etc..........

Given our history of leadership (or lack there of) I'm taking a wait and see attitude towards Heather. However, at least she is very open and comfortable discussing about where we need to improve.

http://triblive.com/sports/college/...-lyke-envisions-ambitious-plans-for-athletics
If you don't try to get something done you're certain to never get it.
There it is folks...she wants better facilities.
Now stroke a check (however small) or sit in the corner and say nothing at all.
Do both if you are able.

My first reaction was.... " we have read this article before with only the athletic directors names being changed"

However, I have been told by some very high-ups in the administration that our new athletic director is extremely impressive and it would be wise not to sell her short.

So, I for one will open up my wallet and make a larger donation in the hope that we finally have found a truly effective athletic director.

Her comments on what the fieldhouse *is* and what her vision is for the various teams... sounds like only viable option is to tear down the fieldhouse and start over. That is a great idea. That place is beyond any kind of renovation. I didn't even realize the track team only uses it for training - it is not capable of holding events.

Honestly, I was against the hire at first, but she's really impressed me. I think she'll be outstanding for Pitt going forward. Expecting your coaches to ask for more is especially impressive to me. Sounds like she gets it.

Translation: Field House is going bye bye. And all those who somehow thought a football stadium could be squeezed in to that area are going to someday be staring at the new facility she's referencing.

Given our history of leadership (or lack there of) I'm taking a wait and see attitude towards Heather. However, at least she is very open and comfortable discussing about where we need to improve.

http://triblive.com/sports/college/...-lyke-envisions-ambitious-plans-for-athletics
Talking is easy. Actually doing things involves a lot of hard work!

A consultant made a sale pitch and a proposal and we responded with let us know how to get this done!

He looked at us and said I just make proposal its up to you to actually do the stuff?

So talk is cheap!

Invest heavily to make football a serious winner. I would have said basketball possibly as well but its hopeless for a another 5 years or so now.

Massive football success will pay exponential dividends on the investment. Win enough and it will fund all the other frivolous sports no one cares about. And give Pitt the political capital needed to expand...for sports or anything else.

Not politically correct but remains the truf

Most of us thought Barnes was going to be a "great" AD during his first year. Go back and look at the Barnes we saved posts.
I guess following SP great should have be an easy accomplishment.
Barnes talked a great game, hit all the key topics, buzz phrases, but when it came to actually doing things he wasn't very good at that.
So we're in a new AD cycle aren't we? Again?

Last edited:
Any AD can say they want this and that built. Going out and doing it is a completely different animal. Even the Petersen had to be cut back and didn't even include basics like offices for the programs because they couldn't raise enough money. That was a minor project compare to what she talking about here. Any of these plans are probably a decade or more away from coming true.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Well... this is what you get when you neglect athletics for you know... like 50 years. When the area high school's have nicer facilities than an ACC member - at some point something has to give. She got it done at Eastern Michigan - and lets be clear here - she merely brought the facilities up to other MAC schools. At some point Pitt has to get up to MAC standards... then they can move on to ACC standards. But she has to start NOW or the next round of professionalization of college athletics will leave Pitt behind.

Well... this is what you get when you neglect athletics for you know... like 50 years. When the area high school's have nicer facilities than an ACC member - at some point something has to give. She got it done at Eastern Michigan - and lets be clear here - she merely brought the facilities up to other MAC schools. At some point Pitt has to get up to MAC standards... then they can move on to ACC standards. But she has to start NOW or the next round of professionalization of college athletics will leave Pitt behind.
I believe the NOW says it all. NOW not LATER because LATER just puts PITT further behind in many areas facilities, attendance, fund raising, booster development, etc.
Time is a key element for PITT since we been "spinning wheels" since atleast the beginning of SP's AD term!

I believe the NOW says it all. NOW not LATER because LATER just puts PITT further behind in many areas facilities, attendance, fund raising, booster development, etc.
Time is a key element for PITT since we been "spinning wheels" since atleast the beginning of SP's AD term!
It takes $ to buy nice things. Pitt alums need to up the ante.

Any AD can say they want this and that built. Going out and doing it is a completely different animal. Even the Petersen had to be cut back and didn't even include basics like offices for the programs because they couldn't raise enough money. That was a minor project compare to what she talking about here. Any of these plans are probably a decade or more away from coming true.
Looking forward to your check.

It takes $ to buy nice things. Pitt alums need to up the ante.
Very true!
And it takes interested and happy alums to " ante up."
And it takes a competent University sports management team to run a successful athletic program, with has interesting programs, and winning teams to create happy alums!

Pitt needs to change the culture to embrace sports and winning. Then the money will come from former athletes and their families who "won" at Pitt. This culture is what is present at PSU that so many don't understand.

"Culture" is good when you win, and bad when you dont, but culture gets a lot better when you have nice facilities and can pay good coaches. She has to raise $$$. That's the main thing, and that hasn't gone well so far but it's early. The other thing is hire the right people when the opportunity arises. She's had some opportunities with that right off the bat, and it's been interesting to say the least but the jury is still out. The TV experience is good because it helps with the media, but we have to convince people to donate to mostly losing and underfunded programs to get better.

Well the ACCN will get the word out for her for sure. Pitt will get alot of exposure and people will see how far behind some of these things are.

In other words, Pitt alums want the AD to cross 10 hurdles to get their whopping $10 donation.
Yes I would expect Lyke to jump thru atleast 10 hurdles maybe more to change the game at PITT.
She's the new AD and is expected to make changes to move PITT to the next level.

Increasing donation levels should be one of her key objectives!

If its just business as usual at PITT for the new AD nothing will change and unless things change soon they'll never change!

Lyke is an important AD for PITT as she follows two buffons who did nothing to move PITT athletics forward.

If she cant or isn't willing to take risks to improve PITT athletics she shouldn't have accepted the job.

I'm not sure how many chances we'll get after this one!

Last edited:
Yes I would expect Lyke to jump thru atleast 10 hurdles maybe more to change the game at PITT.
She's the new AD and is expected to make changes to move PITT to the next level.

If its just business as usual at PITT for the new AD nothing will change and unless things change soon they'll never change!

Lyke is an important AD for PITT as she follows two buffons who did nothing to move PITT athletics forward.

If she cant or isn't willing to take risks to improve PITT athletics she shouldn't have accepted the job.

What in the world are you talking about? You're not sure how many chances Pitt will get after this AD?

Take a breath, and step away from the cliff. Everything is going to be alright.

If you have any plans to walk across the Clemente bridge today, please take a MLB umpire with you.

Now the burden falls on the donors and fans and Pittsburgh is cheap comparatively. Ticket prices donation to sit in better seats we all say we want to be gig time then act like you want to be big time. Ask the Clemson people how much the paid for parking. Some told me $3000 to $5000 just for parking each year. We scream at $20. So l.ets start to act like big time

Reactions: ThePanthers
It doesn't at first fall on the donors. Pitt itself needs to make a big investment, one it hasn't made in a very long time. You need to win first then you get donors , it's called a business you fools. A business doesn't demand you buy a crappy product, then thet will upgrade the service if more people buy the crap now.

No wonder this generation is clueless

Well Pitt has been talking about a new Track and Field Facility for 5 years or more so that is her 1st project to complete.

Wish her well and will wait to see what she can accomplish.

The last AD, so much damage in so little time.

Killer B, AD Barnes.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Well Pitt has been talking about a new Track and Field Facility for 5 years or more so that is her 1st project to complete.

Wish her well and will wait to see what she can accomplish.

The last AD, so much damage in so little time.

Killer B, AD Barnes.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Unfortunately at PITT athletic expenditures is a " zero sum" game.

Money spent on a non revenue producing sport will subtract from available funds for revenue producing sports.

Since PITT isn't developing and offering a " new & more interesting" product in revenue producing sports incremental revenues from those sports wont be available to offset the spending in the non revenue producing sports. Revenue sports barely support themselves!

This is why I believe PITT under AD Lyke will improve the non revenue producing sports ( because its Fair /Buffett banned word) at the expense of revenue producing sports and eventually decide it cant keep doing everything so you draw your own conclusion.

The answer is simple!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT