ADVERTISEMENT

Addison

As @thebadby2 notes, we had lots of posters (Hey @joeydavid) who either thought he'd be easy to replace or that he wouldn't make it as a pro and that all the other WR prospects were better choices than him.

He was the best offensive player on the 2021 team.
i think questioning if he'd be a good NFL #2 is a lot different than thinking he wasnt good in college..

As was evident last night Addison will be known as a USC guy. They mentioned Pitt in passing in the same sentence as Addison was recruited by Notre Dame to be a DB then went to Pitt before ending up at USC.

USC has struggled badly on offense this year against every remotely competent defense they've played. Williams drops back and no one is open. Addison didn't dominate last year, but I've wondered to what extent their issues in the passing game this season can be traced back to not having someone who consumes as much attention from the defense as him on the field every play.

As was evident last night Addison will be known as a USC guy. They mentioned Pitt in passing in the same sentence as Addison was recruited by Notre Dame to be a DB then went to Pitt before ending up at USC.
Funny how they didn't mention that he won the Biletnikoff Award at Pitt with Kenny, you'd think they'd enjoy all that name dropping.

As @thebadby2 notes, we had lots of posters (Hey @joeydavid) who either thought he'd be easy to replace or that he wouldn't make it as a pro and that all the other WR prospects were better choices than him.

He was the best offensive player on the 2021 team.
In fairness, I think a lot of the argument was where he would go in the draft. We also had folks saying he was a top 10 or top 15 pick. I an remember noting that wasn't going to happen unless he ran under 4.4. His 40 time and size is why he went 23rd and not 10 spots higher.

Pickett was the best offensive player on the 2021 team.

Is that for talent or football reasons or because you hate Penn State?

He would have been an explosive target for Pickett, and I like Porter I think we will be very good also. But you need big play caliber people on offense and Addison is one of those players.

Reactions: Pitt79
I'm not a big stats guy because I'm sure someone on here will have some advanced metric to contradict what I say but is being ranked #25 in receiving yards and #28 in ypc that good? It seems like they're a lot of guys that get around 50-55 yards receiving per game. Maybe those are really good stats in this day and age.

Hell yeah it's good. A rookie being ranked 24th in receiving yards and 2nd in receiving touchdowns. Come on... dude can definitely play.

I'm not a big stats guy because I'm sure someone on here will have some advanced metric to contradict what I say but is being ranked #25 in receiving yards and #28 in ypc that good? It seems like they're a lot of guys that get around 50-55 yards receiving per game. Maybe those are really good stats in this day and age.
Should Baldwin Addison have seen more action in that soph rookie year considering he had All Americans Pros at tailback WR and TE?

He's a rookie playing on a team that has Justin Jefferson and TJ Hockenson on it, and he has twice as many TDs as the next offensive player on the Vikings roster, who happens to be Jefferson. He also missed a game. I'd say he's playing pretty well for a rookie late 1st round pick.

There's your "advanced metrics". Put 'em in your pipe and smoke 'em.

Wayne had over a 1000 yards receiving in that offense, Addison had under 1K at USC. But keep thinking that by all means and continue to wonder why we aren't better.
He missed a full game, a bowl game and a ton of reps with a nagging ankle injury. Played on a bad ankle from mid-October on. Ankles are kind of important for skill position football players.

But keep thinking the move from Pitt and Slov-netti to Riley, Williams and USC hurt his NFL prospects, by all means.

You can add that Wayne got hurt in the 1st half of the W Michigan game and missed the Rhode Island game the following week too.

I don't think Addison had any better of a year at USC than he would have at Pitt, and frankly it really didn't matter. He had everything he needed on tape already. He wasn't getting bigger or faster at either place.

He missed a full game, a bowl game and a ton of reps with a nagging ankle injury. Played on a bad ankle from mid-October on. Ankles are kind of important for skill position football players.

But keep thinking the move from Pitt and Slov-netti to Riley, Williams and USC hurt his NFL prospects, by all means.

Never said it did, but by all means keep thinking he wouldn't have had a productive year at Pitt last year

Reactions: TD_6082
You can add that Wayne got hurt in the 1st half of the W Michigan game and missed the Rhode Island game the following week too.

I don't think Addison had any better of a year at USC than he would have at Pitt, and frankly it really didn't matter. He had everything he needed on tape already. He wasn't getting bigger or faster at either place.

badby2 conveniently forgets facts

In fairness, I think a lot of the argument was where he would go in the draft. We also had folks saying he was a top 10 or top 15 pick. I an remember noting that wasn't going to happen unless he ran under 4.4. His 40 time and size is why he went 23rd and not 10 spots higher.

Pickett was the best offensive player on the 2021 team.
Pickett was the most valuable, being a QB. I just think Addison is just special. Route running, soft hands, amazing body control, fierce competitor. He's a player.

Correct

badby2 conveniently forgets facts
Which ones did I forget or omit again? You’ll have to refresh my memory since I forget stuff.

If you want to die on the hill that Addison should have stayed at Pitt instead of taking a much bigger bag of money to go play with a much better team with a much better coach and a much better offense and a much better QB in a much more desirable city while enjoying a much higher media profile and much more national relevancy…..

You just have right at it, big fella.

He’s a stud wherever he plays. And he knew that. And college coaches knew that. And the NFL people knew that. So he made a lot of money to go somewhere better. A lot better. And it worked out just fine for him. Did the move improve his draft stock? It sure as F didn’t hurt it. And it was better for him than playing in that savage Cigduzzi offense with the Slove Hand Man pulling the trigger. Better IN EVERY WAY.

So now it’s 2023. Slovis left with Nardummy’s boot firmly and publicly between his ass cheeks. Pitt is 2-5 and is a dumpster fire by any measure. Jared Wayne, who’s a perfectly decent player, went undrafted and is currently on the Texans practice squad. Addison wa a drafted in the first round and currently has the second most receiving TDs in the NFL.

Am I missing something? Maybe some more facts I forgot?

Which ones did I forget or omit again? You’ll have to refresh my memory since I forget stuff.

If you want to die on the hill that Addison should have stayed at Pitt instead of taking a much bigger bag of money to go play with a much better team with a much better coach and a much better offense and a much better QB in a much more desirable city while enjoying a much higher media profile and much more national relevancy…..

You just have right at it, big fella.

He’s a stud wherever he plays. And he knew that. And college coaches knew that. And the NFL people knew that. So he made a lot of money to go somewhere better. A lot better. And it worked out just fine for him. Did the move improve his draft stock? It sure as F didn’t hurt it. And it was better for him than playing in that savage Cigduzzi offense with the Slove Hand Man pulling the trigger. Better IN EVERY WAY.

So now it’s 2023. Slovis left with Nardummy’s boot firmly and publicly between his ass cheeks. Pitt is 2-5 and is a dumpster fire by any measure. Jared Wayne, who’s a perfectly decent player, went undrafted and is currently on the Texans practice squad. Addison wa a drafted in the first round and currently has the second most receiving TDs in the NFL.

Am I missing something? Maybe some more facts I forgot?

Gladly hoss!

your post on Addison:

"He missed a full game, a bowl game and a ton of reps with a nagging ankle injury. Played on a bad ankle from mid-October on. Ankles are kind of important for skill position football players"

You made this post in reference to the numbers put up by Jared Wayne, implying that Addison has lesser numbers than Wayne primarily due to injury when in fact Wayne himself was also injured and missed games.

Last edited:
Should Baldwin Addison have seen more action in that soph rookie year considering he had All Americans Pros at tailback WR and TE?

He's a rookie playing on a team that has Justin Jefferson and TJ Hockenson on it, and he has twice as many TDs as the next offensive player on the Vikings roster, who happens to be Jefferson. He also missed a game. I'd say he's playing pretty well for a rookie late 1st round pick.

There's your "advanced metrics". Put 'em in your pipe and smoke 'em.

But, back to your Baldwin/Addison point. Do you think Cigs should've featured Baldwin more considering Addison seems to be a similar situation that Baldwin was in back in his soph year?

i think questioning if he'd be a good NFL #2 is a lot different than thinking he wasnt good in college..
My question during the draft process on Addison was could be a he be a legit #1 WR who can live on the outside and be successful. I personally never thought he couldn't be a really good slot WR who can do great things who could occasionally be on the outside. I thought for him to put up prolific production he would have to be schemed up to do so.

But, back to your Baldwin/Addison point. Do you think Cigs should've featured Baldwin more considering Addison seems to be a similar situation that Baldwin was in back in his soph year?
Nah, let's go back to your "point", your post that I was responding to--which was this:

is being ranked #25 in receiving yards and #28 in ypc that good? It seems like they're a lot of guys that get around 50-55 yards receiving per game. Maybe those are really good stats in this day and age.

So, since your intent was very obviously to slight what Addison has done so far in his rookie season, I gave you some context. And you tried to shift the discussion in an apples and oranges way. Which is what you always do.

I think Cignetti's 2 years at Pitt over 15 years ago have very little relevancy to any discussion today. Cig had an NFL first round receiver both years that he was at BC. How were that player's overall numbers in Cig's high-flying offense?

Never said it did, but by all means keep thinking he wouldn't have had a productive year at Pitt last year
I'm sure he would have been productive last year at Pitt, but much less so than in 2021. I'm also sure he made the right decision to go to USC. And I'm not sure that going to USC helped his draft prospects, but I am positive it didn't hurt them. More money, better team, better offense, better QB, better coach, better lifestyle, better media exposure. I believe that's what's known as a no-brainer.

Nah, let's go back to your "point", your post that I was responding to--which was this:

is being ranked #25 in receiving yards and #28 in ypc that good? It seems like they're a lot of guys that get around 50-55 yards receiving per game. Maybe those are really good stats in this day and age.

So, since your intent was very obviously to slight what Addison has done so far in his rookie season, I gave you some context. And you tried to shift the discussion in an apples and oranges way. Which is what you always do.

I think Cignetti's 2 years at Pitt over 15 years ago have very little relevancy to any discussion today. Cig had an NFL first round receiver both years that he was at BC. How were that player's overall numbers in Cig's high-flying offense?
Good enough to make All-ACC.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
Gladly hoss!

your post on Addison:

"He missed a full game, a bowl game and a ton of reps with a nagging ankle injury. Played on a bad ankle from mid-October on. Ankles are kind of important for skill position football players"

You made this post in reference to the numbers put up by Jared Wayne, implying that Addison has lesser numbers than Wayne primarily due to injury when in fact Wayne himself was also injured and missed games.
Actually, I made that post in response to this post:

Wayne had over a 1000 yards receiving in that offense, Addison had under 1K at USC.

If your argument is that Addison would have had over 1000 yards at Pitt last season, we're not arguing. Of course, if that had happened, certainl Wyayne's numbers would have been much lower. But he'd probably still have had a higher YPC than Addison, which would make my friend Meatcurtain very happy. To him that seems to be the most important metric for a wideout. Jester Weah, Dietrich Jells, Henry Tuten "pleased".

On the other hand, if your argument is that Addison would have been better off staying at Pitt and that going to USC was a bad business move for him, you're too dumb to argue with.

I simply pointed out that his USC numbers were significantly impacted by injury. They were also impacted by playing on a loaded offense with a ton of talented wideouts on it, of which he was the most talented.

As for any futher comparison of Addison to Wayne, the NFL people already did that for us.

Good enough to make All-ACC.
Sure. They weren't bad. About half of what JA had his soph year at Pitt. About equal to what Addison had playing half the season on one leg at USC. A little less than Wayne had last year. On a team that's leading two rushers didn't manage 100 yards combined. For a guy who would be drafted first round, one pick ahead of Addison.

If your argument is that Addison would have had over 1000 yards at Pitt last season, we're not arguing. Of course, if that had happened, certainl Wyayne's numbers would have been much lower. But he'd probably still have had a higher YPC than Addison, which would make my friend Meatcurtain very happy. To him that seems to be the most important metric for a wideout. Jester Weah, Dietrich Jells, Henry Tuten "pleased".

On the other hand, if your argument is that Addison would have been better off staying at Pitt and that going to USC was a bad business move for him, you're too dumb to argue with.

I simply pointed out that his USC numbers were significantly impacted by injury. They were also impacted by playing on a loaded offense with a ton of talented wideouts on it, of which he was the most talented.

As for any futher comparison of Addison to Wayne, the NFL people already did that for us.

that is my point. His production would have been the same if not better than what he did at USC. Was it a good move? In terms of being in Cali vs. Pittsburgh, yeah that's a good thing. And if he got paid more (mixed answers floating around on this too), that would be good. But I don't think he improved his draft stock by going, and he wouldn't have hurt it by staying. USC had a good year, but typical Lincoln Riley their true self on defense was exposed. Had he stayed, might have won against UT (don't see him dropping the passes Means and Mumfield did in that game), and it might have been another 11 win season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT