ADVERTISEMENT

AFC QBs

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
The AFC is going to be a much tougher conference than the NFC for the next 5-10 years. The teams in the AFC picked better QBs in the draft, while the NFC teams selected a bunch of duds or have a bunch of aging QB.

You've got:
Maholmes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Lawrence
Watson
Jackson
Pickett

The NFC has maybe three younger guys who could be in the top 10.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Speaking of young QBs, I’m not sure how Coach Tomlin or Mr. Rooney can be watching this Giants game and think that the offense is fine as-is with Canada. Daniel Jones has done a complete 180 under Daboll and Lawrence took a huge step in year two under Pederson. Pickett would be in position to take a similar leap under a competent offensive coordinator.

Speaking of young QBs, I’m not sure how Coach Tomlin or Mr. Rooney can be watching this Giants game and think that the offense is fine as-is with Canada. Daniel Jones has done a complete 180 under Daboll and Lawrence took a huge step in year two under Pederson. Pickett would be in position to take a similar leap under a competent offensive coordinator.

I recall the Giants being criticized for taking Jones over Haskins, but they made the right pick.

The AFC is going to be a much tougher conference than the NFC for the next 5-10 years. The teams in the AFC picked better QBs in the draft, while the NFC teams selected a bunch of duds or have a bunch of aging QB.

You've got:
Maholmes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Lawrence
Watson
Jackson
Pickett

You also figure that Mac Jones could make his way back in that list as well while a few others might be in position to draft a QB this draft or next. Definitely a new era in the AFC.

I recall the Giants being criticized for taking Jones over Haskins, but they made the right pick.
Yup. Personally, I didn’t like either of them coming out of college but I’ll eat crow when it comes to Daniel Jones. He has looked great this year.

You've got:
Maholmes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Lawrence
Watson
Jackson
Pickett

Eagles, Giants and Cowboys have relatively young talented starters. I know people are really high on Fields. But, yeah. Maybe Purdy/Lance at 49ers could be a future star.

Jones is a pretty decent quarterback. He has looked very good as of late and it has much to do with him using his legs. The running dimension has really made the G-men dangerous.

A similar leap two years from now. Next year would be a likely cluster or look the same as this year. I think it’s a long shot that Canada is fired.

Agreed, specifically the 49ers’ offense and the use of play action.
Heard Zeise on the radio this weekend and supporting Canada. His rationale is that we don’t like him because he’s not warm and fuzzy. Since when do fans not like coordinators because of their warmth and fuzziness?? All we do is see them in the coaches box calling plays. If the media doesn’t like his personality, that’s something that they need to deal with. For us as fans, we don’t think our 1st round QB should be learning on the job from a guy who is also learning on the job. Watching these offenses, outside of Baltimore’s this weekend, is night and day different.

Pretty early to throw Kenny in that group. Though I would have said the same thing about Lawrence last year. Hope for a big jump from him next year.
I agree with you. But Kenny can make all the throws and has the intangibles. It really appears to me that the only thing holding him back is an offense. If Brock Purdy can, certainly Kenny can.

Keeping Canada helps keep Kenny from blowing up statistically and thus getting big time money when his rookie deal expires. It’s the only rationale for keeping Canada’s offense. ;). The Steelers are crazy like a fox.

Watching games this weekend, it is amazing how some of the younger QB's are much better now than they were as rookies. Maybe Nitter/Hoopie/Steelers fans and Steelers media noticed this.

Look, in my lifetime I remember two rookie QBs having any kind of success. Dan Marino, who was likely the most pro ready QB ever and Ben, going 15-1 in his first year, on a fairly loaded team.

Look at the teams who helped their young QBs with new coaches: Jacksonville, Philadelphia, NYG, Miami, and I may be missing a team or two. Of course then you have Shanahan’s system in San Francisco. The Steelers offensive scheme does half the work for the opponent’s defense. It’s really unbelievable.

Heard Zeise on the radio this weekend and supporting Canada. His rationale is that we don’t like him because he’s not warm and fuzzy. Since when do fans not like coordinators because of their warmth and fuzziness?? All we do is see them in the coaches box calling plays. If the media doesn’t like his personality, that’s something that they need to deal with. For us as fans, we don’t think our 1st round QB should be learning on the job from a guy who is also learning on the job. Watching these offenses, outside of Baltimore’s this weekend, is night and day different.
I have no idea what Zeise is talking about. I think he enjoys trolling too much. The defense and a very weak schedule carried this team over 0.500. If Canada was such a genius, why did he keep Kenny on ice until the season was a quarter of the way over?

I have no idea what Zeise is talking about. I think he enjoys trolling too much. The defense and a very weak schedule carried this team over 0.500. If Canada was such a genius, why did he keep Kenny on ice until the season was a quarter of the way over?
With the highest paid defense in the league, you better have a winning record at minimum. I’d argue the playoffs should be bare minimum.

Herbert needs get away from the Spanos family. He won’t win anything working for those clowns.

gonna love to see the drama on Lamar and the ravens. i have no clue how you handle this one. the dude quit on his team, and well, it could be argued that the ravens quit on him. again, he said - he said and i dont think you can heal these wounds.

the question is, does another team offer a king's ransom for him?

gonna love to see the drama on Lamar and the ravens. i have no clue how you handle this one. the dude quit on his team, and well, it could be argued that the ravens quit on him. again, he said - he said and i dont think you can heal these wounds.

Maybe Baltimore places the franchise tag on Jackson and trades him, preferably to an NFC team.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
And a pretty weak schedule, to boot.
Late in the 4th quarter last week, I made a quick bathroom run at Acrisure. While in line I checked the Jets/dolphins score and a few of us were discussing it while in line. One yinzer dork said he didn’t even care about that game. He said all he cares about is Tomlin’s record. What an idiot. If Tomlin himself didn’t care about that “non losing” streak, why should this nerd care? But that’s what we are dealing with this fan base. Not the most intelligent lot.

Reactions: pittdan77

Ravens almost have to move on. They don't have the cap space to keep a guy with his numbers the last two years.

I was just about to post, no guarantee he remains with Baltimore and could wind up in the NFC.

But it's almost like Baltimore has no choice but to give in to his demands -- either that or completely re-haul your offense to be more passing friendly, in which case it will take a lot more than just letting Jackson and the two other QBs go and finding replacements for that position group. They need major upgrades at receiving, probably better pass blockers upfront, etc. If you don't pay Jackson, it's a relatively large rebuild.

Late in the 4th quarter last week, I made a quick bathroom run at Acrisure. While in line I checked the Jets/dolphins score and a few of us were discussing it while in line. One yinzer dork said he didn’t even care about that game. He said all he cares about is Tomlin’s record. What an idiot. If Tomlin himself didn’t care about that “non losing” streak, why should this nerd care? But that’s what we are dealing with this fan base. Not the most intelligent lot.
Very similar situation to the end of Noll's career. People tend to forget how ugly that was. Noll also only won three playoff games in his last 10-12 years. The organization was in a holding pattern because they were paralyzed by not wanting to get rid of a popular coach and the fan base was too wrapped up in the glory days to care. Similar problem just different reasons. Cowher wasn't always successful but at least he could make it past the first round of the playoffs more often than not.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I
Very similar situation to the end of Noll's career. People tend to forget how ugly that was. Noll also only won three playoff games in his last 10-12 years. The organization was in a holding pattern because they were paralyzed by not wanting to get rid of a popular coach and the fan base was too wrapped up in the glory days to care. Similar problem just different reasons. Cowher wasn't always successful but at least he could make it past the first round of the playoffs more often than not.
Those years after Bradshaw fall squarely on Noll and the organization. The QB position was completely mangled by the whole “patience” mentality back then. The AFC was so bad. Having a QB would’ve kept PIT in the playoff chase those years from 1985-88 despite atrocious drafting in rounds 1-3 for most of that decade.

Besides Marino, PIT could’ve looked into signing Doug Williams the second Bradshaw couldn’t throw day one of training camp. Williams was on the street and considered damaged goods I guess because the worst NFL owner ever didn’t resign Doug due to not winning a SB.

The head scratcher was not drafting Hosteler in round two in 1984. Semi-local guy who had all the tools and would’ve hammered down the QB position for 10 years or so. Same draft, Boomer Esiason was available in round one.

There was no way PIT was trading for Steve Young but Bill Walsh did, so why not Noll?

Last edited:
I

Those years after Bradshaw fall squarely on Noll and the organization. The QB position was completely mangled by the whole “patience” mentality back then. The AFC was so bad. Having a QB would’ve kept PIT in the playoff chase those years from 1985-88 despite atrocious drafting in rounds 1-3 for most of that decade.

Besides Marino, PIT could’ve looked into signing Doug Williams the second Bradshaw couldn’t throw day one of training camp. Williams was on the street and considered damaged goods I guess because the worst NFL owner ever didn’t resign Doug due to not winning a SB.

The head scratcher was not drafting Hosteler in round two in 1984. Semi-local guy who had all the tools and would’ve hammered down the QB position for 10 years or so. Same draft, round one, Boomer Esiason was available in round one.

There was no way PIT was trading for Steve Young but Bill Walsh did, so why not Noll?
steelers had no qb play and still went to the playoffs a few years. 82-83-and 84 they made it and went really far in '84, losing to Dan the Man in the conference championship.

89, they should have beaten the broncos too and made the conference championship. but yeah, 85-88 were some bad years with bad qb play. Malone, woodley, even Stoudt. some rough years in there..

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther

You've got:
Maholmes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Lawrence
Watson
Jackson
Pickett

Some of those guys aren’t as good as their hype - Jackson and Watson. You usually see a big jump between Year 1 and Years 2/3, so time will tell with Pickett but I would bet he’ll be Top 10 in the NFL and Top 6 in the AFC.

That's not true at all. He was brilliant in 87' and 89', while winning accolades in the city and throughout the league and in 88', his team was ravaged by injuries and had one of the toughest schedules in league history, all while having the youngest team in the league. His drafts in the late 80's were superb. 91' was the only season that he experienced any heat because everyone had the Steelers as a Super Bowl contender and for the first time ever he seemed to be unsure what to do with the talent but he immediately saw the game moving past him and decided to quit.

Nobody in the 80's was ever doubting him, except for maybe a few draft decisions. Those 80's teams were mostly good but only a QB away. In the pre-free agency era, if you were hovering around .500 every year, you were in good shape. You could win a Super Bowl as a 9-7 team if you ran and stopped the run.

That's not true at all. He was brilliant in 87' and 89', while winning accolades in the city and throughout the league and in 88', his team was ravaged by injuries and had one of the toughest schedules in league history, all while having the youngest team in the league. His drafts in the late 80's were superb. 91' was the only season that he experienced any heat because everyone had the Steelers as a Super Bowl contender and for the first time ever he seemed to be unsure what to do with the talent but he immediately saw the game moving past him and decided to quit.

Nobody in the 80's was ever doubting him, except for maybe a few draft decisions. Those 80's teams were mostly good but only a QB away. In the pre-free agency era, if you were hovering around .500 every year, you were in good shape. You could win a Super Bowl as a 9-7 team if you ran and stopped the run.
Tom Donahoe was a pretty good GM, especially come draft time. i think it was him and Cowher that started butting heads and that was the end for him here in pittsburgh.

Back in those days, Head coaches coached and GMs handled draft and player evaluations. The line got muddied in the mid 90s and now it's pretty much the GMs are working under the HCs. blame Holmgren and the Seahawks for opening that door and unfortunately now the toothepaste is out of the bottle and you cant get it back in..

They are totally screwed without him. He is their entire offense.
ravens inability to draft any good WRs even makes the steelers' wr draft failures look good.

i think it's too late to repair that damage though. If they wanted him for the future, they'd have offered him the money by now.

Herbert may be the AFC's Kirk Cousins. Through 3 seasons, he has some nice stats, looks good sling the ball...and has .500 record & loses most big games.

Reactions: Ski11585
That was sort of the point. In retrospect, outside of one or two seasons, it was a complete shit show and everyone was good with it because it was Chuck Noll and everyone felt like it was just going to work itself out. It doesn't feel too much different than where we're at with Tomlin right now.

the browns (With mayfield) and now the ravens are in a pickle when you have a good but not great QB. these good QBs think they have better leverage than they do and want these elite contracts and teams have to either go all in or nothing with them.

Browns tried to lowball Mayfield and ravens are doing it now. They think it's market value, player thinks it's lowball. But it's either a ridiculous contract or they hold out. you go all in on someone like Burrows (Bengals will have to soon) or Maholmes or Allen but you go all in on guys like Ressell Wilson or Kyler Murray and you are screwed for years..

I'd rather try my luck with an avg qb and build your roster another way than give an avg QB like Wilson or Murray a huge contract and they under perform.

Pretty early to throw Kenny in that group. Though I would have said the same thing about Lawrence last year. Hope for a big jump from him next year.
He needs to step up, and it needs to be numerical, I have no doubt he'll top 3000 or even 3500 yards as a full season starter, but he really needs to increase YPC from 6.2 to maybe 7+ and yeah, definitely needs to be more aggressive throwing downfield and at least 20-25 TD PASSES over a full season next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT