ADVERTISEMENT

After a day to think about it-

PAbornandbred

Walk-on
Sep 23, 2023
We are off, but not far off. This has been a crazy year in the ACC, and after FSU, you could literally pick the names out of a hat. Hell, Duke beat Clemson!

We are off, but not far off. This has been a crazy year in the ACC, and after FSU, you could literally pick the names out of a hat. Hell, Duke beat Clemson!

Yes, it is perhaps the worst Pitt football team of all-time, going by their 1 FBS win (has that ever been done). Should be 9-3 next year with a few lucky bounces.

Your sarcasm is not lost on me, but Yarnell will be starting game 1 next year.
The problem is Yarnell couldn’t beat out Jurkovec or CV for the job. And the only reason he’s getting a look is because Jurkovec and CV suck to the point that he’s the only option left. He not as talented as CV or Jurkovec and in this offense, he’ll do as well as the other 2

The problem is Yarnell couldn’t beat out Jurkovec or CV for the job. And the only reason he’s getting a look is because Jurkovec and CV suck to the point that he’s the only option left. He not as talented as CV or Jurkovec and in this offense, he’ll do as well as the other 2
Because of damn Cignetti ain’t no one was going to “win” that job. Jurkovic had that handed to him. I hate quasi nepotism.

Maybe our talent accessors are not very good at their assessment!

CV throws a nice catchable bal, but he is too inconsistent. Yarnell has provided a spark each time he has touched the ball (see ND). He may not be Montana, but he is sure not Jurk!

Reactions: Dan1911
CV throws a nice catchable bal, but he is too inconsistent. Yarnell has provided a spark each time he has touched the ball (see ND). He may not be Montana, but he is sure not Jurk!

Yeah, I know that Syracuse DB commented on just how catchable that ball that wasn't within 10 feet of a Pitt player was. He seemed to appreciate it.

After a day to think about it, I really can't believe what I saw yesterday. I don't want to keep hammering on Narduzzi, but just like the WMU game a few years ago, they can't make the necessary adjustments to stop these teams? A friggin TIGHT END ran for over 100 years. I really don't know if the players have quit on Narduzzi, but that performance, along with a few others have been a disgrace.

I can't wait to see how many people show up Thursday.

After a day to think about it, I really can't believe what I saw yesterday. I don't want to keep hammering on Narduzzi, but just like the WMU game a few years ago, they can't make the necessary adjustments to stop these teams? A friggin TIGHT END ran for over 100 years. I really don't know if the players have quit on Narduzzi, but that performance, along with a few others have been a disgrace.

I can't wait to see how many people show up Thursday.
I’m going to pretend I’ve watched a ton of Syracuse football this year. Was that wildcard with the TE something they’ve done all year? Regardless, they rammed it down our throats on every single play and we couldn’t stop them.

It’s only catchable if it’s somewhere in the vicinity of its target.

I think what you meant to say was that he has a live arm, spins a good looking ball. That’s true. But there’s a lot more to the position than that.

That's just it. CV throws a real nice ball and his arm strength is very good. But he apparently can't play the other parts of being a QB.

That could be another issue lightly talked about. Pitt is a program that can’t afford to miss in the 3 star kids they get. It seems as though they may have missed a lot in those cycles.
The results speak for themselves. This staff isnt very good at recruiting.

And....they now must re-recruit.....the commits.....the portal.....and if there are players worth keeping in this years team....they need to be convinced as well.

If this craptastic season isnt enough to get every Pitt fan upset, let the above rant sink in.......

Btw

With regard to any NFL talent on this team, i do think Sauls has a decent shot at getting to an NFL team

Which brings me to Junko and punting.

You have a chance to 4 year audition for the NFL in perhaps the toughest venue to kick. That is all it should take to get a 5 star punter to come here.

Instead of landing a big time punter wanting to show his talents, we hit the nepotism jackpot.

Given Pitt's challenges....here is one angle where we have an absolute advantage and we cant even cash in.......

I’m expecting a LOT of changes to both the staff and the roster. Because there absolutely HAS to be.

Of course, the changes have to be the RIGHT ones. And that’s where the concern comes in. :(

Reactions: Large Panther
The young guys on defense look really small. Bass okunlola Lovelace all need to put on some serious weight before they can contribute let alone impact a game.

Reactions: sonofabit
Regarding the OP’s point about ACC chaos and picking names out of a hat:

The more I think about it, I’m surprised we haven’t had a season like this until now given our luck and how many one-score games we tend to have in a season.

Reactions: ThePanthers
How far off Pitt is depends on what happens starting today. He needs to do the following in this order ASAP:

1. In the next two games, Pitt needs to play younger players regardless of the game results.

2. He needs to already be contacting and looking for better assistant coaches.

3. He needs to reassure the younger talented players that changes will be made and not to be too hasty in jumping in the portal.

4. He needs to contact and visit (when allowed) the highly regarded recruits and relay the same message.

5. He needs to fire assistant coaches that have not done a good job developing and recruiting talent, starting with Cignetti five minutes after the season ends.

Unfortunately, if my guess is correct, he will do none of the above. He will wait a couple of weeks after the season ends and start with # 5.

Last edited:
Maybe our talent accessors are not very good at their assessment!
I agree. What was most disappointing besides the 4 turn overs was the complete lack of defensive line play and/or the lack of defensive coaching adjustments.

Reactions: pbrad
How far off Pitt is depends on what happens starting today, In needs to do the following in this order ASAP:

1. In the next two games, Pitt needs to play younger players regardless of the game results.

2. He needs to already be contacting and looking for better assistant coaches.

3. He needs to reassure the younger talented players that changes will be made and not to be too hasty in jumping in the portal.

4. He needs to contact and visit (when allowed) the highly regarded recruits and relay the same message.

5. He needs to fire assistant coaches that have not done a good job developing and recruiting talent, starting with Cignetti five minutes after the season ends.

Unfortunately, if my guess is correct, he will do none of the above. He will wait a couple of weeks after the season ends and start with # 5.

Cignetti will be the sacrificial lamb. to be replaced by the hire off the trash heap, Enos. Rest of the average recruiting staff will remain in place.

Terrible time to go into a tailspin with the strongest local classes in a long time coming up in 26 & 27

That's just it. CV throws a real nice ball and his arm strength is very good. But he apparently can't play the other parts of being a QB.
Max Browne threw a nice ball as well and just didn't have it anywhere else. CV definitely has the physical traits to be successful, but really hasn't flashed anything to give me confidence heading into next season.

I’m going to pretend I’ve watched a ton of Syracuse football this year. Was that wildcard with the TE something they’ve done all year? Regardless, they rammed it down our throats on every single play and we couldn’t stop them.
When asked on TV during the game Narduzzi said they did not expect it. That's OK but not being able to adjust shows coaching is bad.

Reactions: jtbuba
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT