ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Article Andersen 'felt like I belonged' on first visit to Pitt

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
2020 has not been a normal year for anyone, and that’s especially true for recruits in the class of 2021, who will go their entire recruiting cycle without taking official visits and haven’t been able to interact with a college coach in-person since the first week of March.

But for some recruits, the situation is even more unique. Like Trey Andersen, a Pitt commit who chose the Panthers in June but did so without ever meeting the coaching staff in person, let alone seeing Pittsburgh or the University’s campus.

Andersen plans to enroll at Pitt in January, but he didn’t want that to be the first time he set foot in the city, so he and his father, former Kansas City Chiefs offensive lineman Jason Andersen, took a flight from their home in Utah to Pittsburgh over the weekend.

Reactions: Farnox
2020 has not been a normal year for anyone, and that’s especially true for recruits in the class of 2021, who will go their entire recruiting cycle without taking official visits and haven’t been able to interact with a college coach in-person since the first week of March.

But for some recruits, the situation is even more unique. Like Trey Andersen, a Pitt commit who chose the Panthers in June but did so without ever meeting the coaching staff in person, let alone seeing Pittsburgh or the University’s campus.

Andersen plans to enroll at Pitt in January, but he didn’t want that to be the first time he set foot in the city, so he and his father, former Kansas City Chiefs offensive lineman Jason Andersen, took a flight from their home in Utah to Pittsburgh over the weekend.

I felt the same way (instincts) as a high school kid, albeit after many Pitt games prior to that. I wasn't a recruited athlete but I picked Pitt after being accepted (for academics) to some pretty reputable institutions: UCLA, The U, Marquette, Penn and Dartmouth. Hail to Pitt.

I think we should be pretty happy with this. He is going to be older and physically more mature than the typical Freshman, having done the mission work for 2 years. And with his father having played in the NFL, he will know what it takes commitment-wise to play at this level. And for crying out loud...Salem is due to finally hit on a TE recruit who actually produces on the field.

Reactions: pierre93
Has great genetics so hopefully he takes after his dad and has good technical prowess due to his dad. Might be a gem

He was committed to BYU so that isn't too shabby.

As a PWO.

And you can be happy with it. That’s not really my point.
It’s just beyond dumb to say the coaches should take kids that want to come here. The job of a recruiter is to make kids want to be here.
Otherwise you’re left filling your roster with a bunch of kids that love to be here because their other options were G5 nobodIes. Those kids will worship the ground that Pitt walks on right out of the gate, no real recruiting needed. But I’m not interested in stacking the roster with those kids. I’m hoping actual talent starts walking through the door soon so the offense can stop being one of the worst in football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT