ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew McCutchen

Cap pitt

Junior
Jul 20, 2014
I was listening to the fan early Sunday afternoon, the host was talking to Jason Rollison, who ever he is, some pirates writer, he was saying that the only place to play cutch is right field, I would think that would be the last place to play him, cutch does not have a right fielders arm, very weak arm some of the throws palanco has made to the plate cutch would never have made, not on his best day, he does not even have a center fields arm, he plays there because of his speed. cutch is more suitable for left field at best, Or good trade bait, while he is still worth something

Reactions: vietvet1
I hear you, but what I said is what they're doing. I'm not guessing/speculating. They released a statement.
I see but I think that is a dumb move on their part, I would switch marte and cutch leave polanco in right,, but I don't make the big bucks to make that call. We'll just have to wait and see how that works out I guess

I still say you'd rather have your stronger arm in left than in center. Cutch still has very good range. I like him in center. Marte has a to. More opportunities to use his arm in left than cutch does have in center.

Putting your best arm in center is an outdated and incorrect assumption.

I still say you'd rather have your stronger arm in left than in center. Cutch still has very good range. I like him in center. Marte has a to. More opportunities to use his arm in left than cutch does have in center.

I think the strongest arm should be in right because of the longer throws to 3rd and home, left fields throws to a shorter 3rd base and 2nd base and to home

Reactions: President Stache
I think the strongest arm should be in right because of the longer throws to 3rd and home, left fields throws to a shorter 3rd base and 2nd base and to home
Yes but it seems like a lot more balls, hence more opportunities for the left fielder to make the throw home from left field than right. I have no proof or numbers, just seems like I recall a lot of throws home from marte than from parlanco.

How often do you honestly see that throw from right field to 3rd to gun out I guy trying to take an extra base? One a season? If that. An awesome highlight but so rare.

I love marte and cutch where they are, both have very good range and very often prevent balls from getting in left center gap. Palanco has strong arm but not accurate and he is not a good defender. Fast sure but dude looks awkward covering ground, baby giraffe tsking first steps awkward.

Cutch had a bad year but people forget quickly how good he really is. He gets back on track, we can live with weak arm incenter.

Right field at PNC Park is much shorter than left field, and that may be the reasoning being used behind the move of Cutch to right field.

Personally, I would give some consideration to moving Cutch to first base. That would open up a spot for Bell or Meadows in the outfield.

Fact is, Cutch will likely be traded during the season and that will open up a spot in the outfield and a spot at first base. I am a fan of Cutch, but the sooner they make the trade the better it will be for all parties involved.

Right field at PNC Park is much shorter than left field, and that may be the reasoning being used behind the move of Cutch to right field.

Personally, I would give some consideration to moving Cutch to first base. That would open up a spot for Bell or Meadows in the outfield.

Fact is, Cutch will likely be traded during the season and that will open up a spot in the outfield and a spot at first base. I am a fan of Cutch, but the sooner they make the trade the better it will be for all parties involved.
I can see that, but they still play 81 games away from pnc

Pirates are totally dumb...

Cutch should be in left. His huge ego is preventing him in left. Polanco is a lefty with a huge arm... made for right field

Pirates are totally dumb...

Cutch should be in left. His huge ego is preventing him in left. Polanco is a lefty with a huge arm... made for right field
Absolutely, that's what I've been saying all along, maybe even trade cutch and open up room for Bell, in a few more years he won't be worth anything to bring anyone in the trade market

I was listening to the fan early Sunday afternoon, the host was talking to Jason Rollison, who ever he is, some pirates writer, he was saying that the only place to play cutch is right field, I would think that would be the last place to play him, cutch does not have a right fielders arm, very weak arm some of the throws palanco has made to the plate cutch would never have made, not on his best day, he does not even have a center fields arm, he plays there because of his speed. cutch is more suitable for left field at best, Or good trade bait, while he is still worth something
Marte to center and polonco to left. Left field is way more spacious than right field at PNC. This requires the better arm in left rather than right.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Marte is a perfect left fielder for pnc. Great range and great arm.

Great range and a great arm are what make him the perfect centerfielder. Even at PNC the average throw that the centerfielder makes is longer than the average throw the left fielder makes. Even at PNC the centerfielder has more ground to cover than the left fielder, because the biggest part of the part is the part that both of them need to cover but the centerfielder doesn't have a 325 foot third base line to cover.

The issue that exists is that McCutchen's fielding skills have already started to deteriorate. He is now a below average defender at the most important position in the outfield for defense. He is now the worst of the three choices that the Pirates have to play there. The only reason he's stayed there as long as he has is because you have to manage these guy's egos as well as manage the game.

You guys over estimate palancos defense. Much more to it than a strong arm. Guy takes horrible angles and looks awkward. You can hide it a bit in right, those deficiencies would be highlighted in left and abused in center.

Once again, you want your strongest, most accurate arm in left.

Great range and a great arm are what make him the perfect centerfielder. Even at PNC the average throw that the centerfielder makes is longer than the average throw the left fielder makes. Even at PNC the centerfielder has more ground to cover than the left fielder, because the biggest part of the part is the part that both of them need to cover but the centerfielder doesn't have a 325 foot third base line to cover.

The issue that exists is that McCutchen's fielding skills have already started to deteriorate. He is now a below average defender at the most important position in the outfield for defense. He is now the worst of the three choices that the Pirates have to play there. The only reason he's stayed there as long as he has is because you have to manage these guy's egos as well as manage the game.
Hurdle is a people pleaser

You guys over estimate palancos defense.

Not as much, apparently, as you do McCutchen's. He was quite likely the worst defensive center fielder of anyone who played the position regularly last year.

And no matter how many times you say it, it still won't be true that you want your best arm in left field.

And no matter how many times you say it, it still won't be true that you want your best arm in left field.
well it definitely is an opinion. I just recall marte getting so many more opportunities at getting assists than cutch but who knows for sure. I still think cutch does pretty well covering ground.

Polanco in left is going to frustrate a lot of pirate fans.

You guys over estimate palancos defense. Much more to it than a strong arm. Guy takes horrible angles and looks awkward. You can hide it a bit in right, those deficiencies would be highlighted in left and abused in center.

He needs to take the next step for sure. At worst I think this is a wash, a net positive if Polanco can improve his route taking. This will all be moot when Cutch goes before the deadline. Meadows a plus defender too, provided he can stay healthy.

Marte to center and polonco to left. Left field is way more spacious than right field at PNC. This requires the better arm in left rather than right.
It is still a longer throw to 3rd and to home from right field then left, 3rd base not that far from left field as it is from right field, plus they still play 81 games away from pnc, or do you move cutch to left field when away? I don't think so!

no, you don't want your strongest arm in left, that's crazy

Reactions: PittDuke

Cutch has good range still? Guess you never heard of something called advanced stats, because those say he has the 2nd worst CF range in the game...

no, you don't want your strongest arm in left, that's crazy
Agree - if you play in a ballpark with standard dimensions, then your strongest arm is in RF. It is not even a debate. We are not taking about little league where u try and hide someone in RF. This is pro baseball.

Agree - if you play in a ballpark with standard dimensions, then your strongest arm is in RF. It is not even a debate. We are not taking about little league where u try and hide someone in RF. This is pro baseball.
But we aren't, we are talking about pnc with a very deep left field and a short right field fence.

Reactions: Pitt5593
But we aren't, we are talking about pnc with a very deep left field and a short right field fence.
I was talking to the other guy. Where did I say that I had an issue with what Hurdle is doing? I am fully aware of PNC's dimensions. Thanks.

I was talking to the other guy. Where did I say that I had an issue with what Hurdle is doing? I am fully aware of PNC's dimensions. Thanks.
Not sure, I'm reading this while trying to watch the super bowl and make sure my kids shower correctly. Give me a break would ya.

I still think cutch does pretty well covering ground.

The Statcast numbers from last year showed that McCutchen did a much better job last year on balls to his right than on balls to his left. If that's a real thing and not just a blip in the number from a relatively small sample size then moving him to right field makes sense in that he'd have more ground to cover to the side that he is better at making plays and less ground on the side he is having problems with.

Pay no mind to "labels"/ Given the Pirates' enchantment with advanced defensive metrics, they'll probably shift the three of them pitch by pitch based on the batter's spray chart. (Just kidding.)

The Statcast numbers from last year showed that McCutchen did a much better job last year on balls to his right than on balls to his left. If that's a real thing and not just a blip in the number from a relatively small sample size then moving him to right field makes sense in that he'd have more ground to cover to the side that he is better at making plays and less ground on the side he is having problems with.
Have thought for a couple years now that he gets late jumps to balls on his glove side. Thanx for the data!

The problem is, for 81 games, LF in PNC Park is almost like CF it is so big.

It is still a longer throw to 3rd and to home from right field then left, 3rd base not that far from left field as it is from right field, plus they still play 81 games away from pnc, or do you move cutch to left field when away? I don't think so!
It is a longer throw to third, but not a longer throw to home. The throw to home from left and right field is equivalent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT