ADVERTISEMENT

Another coach in trouble?

The young man accusing him was upset because A&M wouldn't let him transfer to AZ they finally relented. Jimbo has learned how to cover his tracks nothing is going to come of this.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
These seem like fairly minor violations. Giving 300 bucks to a kid to host guys on an OV? I doubt there are text messages or receipts to prove this happened. Even if they can prove it, that's gonna be a slap on the wrist. The stuff about having illegal practices is not great, but probably VERY common, and also hard to prove.

I know people scoff at the idea that "everyone does it" but in these cases.... it's probably true.

No....Franklin isn't. If you think this you have no idea if a football is blown up or stuffed.

He had that two year run with Jameis Winston. But here's the deal, if his performance was at Pitt, sure...fantastic. But every year FSU had a top 5 recruiting class. And here is the kicker, in his 8 season there, he finished higher in the polls than where they were selected in the preseason poll, twice. Well once he ran wire to wire as #1. But only one other time he actually exceeded expectations.

That is what I mean by "overrated". That is the very definition of it.

These seem like fairly minor violations. Giving 300 bucks to a kid to host guys on an OV? I doubt there are text messages or receipts to prove this happened. Even if they can prove it, that's gonna be a slap on the wrist. The stuff about having illegal practices is not great, but probably VERY common, and also hard to prove.

I know people scoff at the idea that "everyone does it" but in these cases.... it's probably true.

Yeah. This is pretty standard stuff. “Self-report” and move on.

He had that two year run with Jameis Winston. But here's the deal, if his performance was at Pitt, sure...fantastic. But every year FSU had a top 5 recruiting class. And here is the kicker, in his 8 season there, he finished higher in the polls than where they were selected in the preseason poll, twice. Well once he ran wire to wire as #1. But only one other time he actually exceeded expectations.

That is what I mean by "overrated". That is the very definition of it.

This is a really silly thing for you to continuously repeat.

The number of coaches who accomplished as much or more than Jimbo over his 8 years can likely be counted using 1 hand, and may leave some fingers to spare .
(Saban, Urban, Dabo)

I don't understand how coaches at P5 level have any say with how injuries are handled. seriously, we should be beyond such outdated concepts as letting the head coaching staff influence the medical staff. In this day and age, with all the over protective nature of our society, that this can happen, is mind boggling..

2/3rd of these camp practices are under 2 hours long and they are in shorts and jerseys, the ncaa wont let these kids wear thigh pads and pants to protect them but they are letting coaches dictate injury protocol? kids cant even do 7 v 7 without some ridiculous looking head pad looking thing but nothing on having untrained coaches with zero education have the final say on how injuries are handled?

All of these programs have trained medical personnel. They should answer to the school, not the coach. The NFL does it right, the ncaa should copy that.

Is there a football coach out there that someone doesn't think is overrated?
GYI0062842922.jpg

Keeping it close to home ... Paul Chryst seems to get minimal regard, despite solid success at Wisc so far. Whether most think that it's really Alverez' show there, or due to far superior assistants than we allowed him, or a pedestrian division, or what have you, those are technicalities ... bottom line, he's been successful, yet generally not thought of very highly.

Not thought of poorly, mind you (which would be "underrated ", which I consider different). Just sort of "meh". So I'd call that "not overrated."

Keeping it close to home ... Paul Chryst seems to get minimal regard, despite solid success at Wisc so far. Whether most think that it's really Alverez' show there, or due to far superior assistants than we allowed him, or a pedestrian division, or what have you, those are technicalities ... bottom line, he's been successful, yet generally not thought of very highly.

Not thought of poorly, mind you (which would be "underrated ", which I consider different). Just sort of "meh". So I'd call that "not overrated."
he was "meh" at pitt so we think of him that way. he was the absolute epitome of mediocre so we kind of don't really care too passionately one way or the other.

what he is accomplishing at Wisconsin shouldn't influence how we feel about him at pitt. at pitt, he was 19-19, 10 - 13 inter conference. he took over a 6 - 7 pitt football team in 2011 and turned them into a 6-7 program in 2012. He left the program in '14, we were 6-6..

there is absolutely no reason to hate or like him.

he was "meh" at pitt so we think of him that way. he was the absolute epitome of mediocre so we kind of don't really care too passionately one way or the other.

what he is accomplishing at Wisconsin shouldn't influence how we feel about him at pitt. at pitt, he was 19-19, 10 - 13 inter conference. he took over a 6 - 7 pitt football team in 2011 and turned them into a 6-7 program in 2012. He left the program in '14, we were 6-6..

there is absolutely no reason to hate or like him.

very true, I don't hate him (Ed Bozik, Scott Barnes, and Kevin Stallings are the only ones at that level) but I'm more on the dislike side of the line than the meh side. The 2014 should have been a lot better than his typical 6-6. Easiest schedule in years, but crapped the bed against an average Akron team. The fiasco against Duke. The fumble fest with GaTech. The team had some decent talent. It was year three and it should have been the year to make some noise in the Coastal, especially with Miami down. Instead Chryst just slept walked through the season and got out of dodge when the seat got a little warm.

Reactions: Large Panther
very true, I don't hate him (Ed Bozik, Scott Barnes, and Kevin Stallings are the only ones at that level) but I'm more on the dislike side of the line than the meh side. The 2014 should have been a lot better than his typical 6-6. Easiest schedule in years, but crapped the bed against an average Akron team. The fiasco against Duke. The fumble fest with GaTech. The team had some decent talent. It was year three and it should have been the year to make some noise in the Coastal, especially with Miami down. Instead Chryst just slept walked through the season and got out of dodge when the seat got a little warm.
he's like a perfect balance of mediocrity. for everything you put on the good side of the scale, you have something on the bad side of the scale to equal it out. For every position he recruited well at, you can list a position he recruited poorly at. For every respectable win to tip the scale in his favor, there is a head scratching loss to equal it out.

Even his personalilty, he had a very forgettable personality. not bad, not abrasive or aggressive but not good, not a charmer or very personable. He was just "meh." he'd be interviewed on radio and after the interview was over, you weren't left excited or depressed, you just kind of shrugged your shoulders and turned the station.

The only real positive thing you can say is he didn't leave the program in worse shape than when he got it. I mean he didn't leave it in better shape either.

he's like a perfect balance of mediocrity. for everything you put on the good side of the scale, you have something on the bad side of the scale to equal it out. For every position he recruited well at, you can list a position he recruited poorly at. For every respectable win to tip the scale in his favor, there is a head scratching loss to equal it out.

Even his personalilty, he had a very forgettable personality. not bad, not abrasive or aggressive but not good, not a charmer or very personable. He was just "meh." The only real positive thing you can say is he didn't leave the program in worse shape than when he got it. I mean he didn't leave it in better shape either.

That's why I'm surprised by his current success. I guess that's the proof about what infrastructure means to a program. Unless you are a total idiot who can not win even with good infrastructure (Shula at Alabama, Blake(?) at Oklahoma, Weis at ND, etc).

That's why I'm surprised by his current success. I guess that's the proof about what infrastructure means to a program. Unless you are a total idiot who can not win even with good infrastructure (Shula at Alabama, Blake(?) at Oklahoma, Weis at ND, etc).
a passionate fanbase in a very strong conference in a weaker division with a long history of success, a very successful AD in a cool ass college town. Wiscy has a lot going for it. Not sure what high school football is like up there but they've done it right for decades, that's for sure..

A lot can be said for not being your own worst enemy

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Sadly Chryst's success at Whisky has proven what a mess the PITT program was in, hopefully we are beyond that.

a passionate fanbase in a very strong conference in a weaker division with a long history of success, a very successful AD in a cool ass college town. Wiscy has a lot going for it. Not sure what high school football is like up there but they've done it right for decades, that's for sure..

A lot can be said for not being your own worst enemy
a passionate fanbase in a very strong conference in a weaker division with a long history of success,... funny, for an old timer like me a long history of success means it dates back further than the mid 90's. When I was growing up as a kid and well into young adulthood Wisconsin had nothing that would resemble a passionate fanbase as they for the most part sucked for pretty much their entire existence up and until that point.....

Last edited:
IMO "The Haymaker" would have been a decent football coach if he had lasted more than one month?
But he should have listened to the-Georgia Satellites Song -Keep your hands to yourself

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:

Hard to think highly of a guy that speaks and presents publicly so poorly. Mind you, he has a nice record...but will never be thought of as one of the top tier coaches. Hail to Pitt!

Hard to think highly of a guy that speaks and presents publicly so poorly. Mind you, he has a nice record...but will never be thought of as one of the top tier coaches. Hail to Pitt!
had on a crappy sweatshirt the other day as I headed out to the grocery store and my son (University of Pittsburgh class of 2020) asked me to put on something decent as he said I looked like Paul Chryst..

Last edited:
a passionate fanbase in a very strong conference in a weaker division with a long history of success,... funny, for an old timer like me a long history of success means it dates back further than the mid 90's. When I was growing up as a kid and well into young adulthood Wisconsin had nothing that would resemble a passionate fanbase as they for the most part sucked for pretty much their entire existence up and until that point.....
OK, well I was kind of going back to the what? Mid 90's? I don't know, that's 25 years, that's a long time. But your point is valid, "long history of success" can be interpreted many ways.

IMO "The Haymaker" would have been a decent football coach if he had lasted more than one month?
But he should have listened to the-Georgia Satellites Song -Keep your hands to yourself

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
he was being mocked by the players in his opening meeting with them. A pitt player was quoted as them all laughing at him in his introductory meeting with the team, talking about discipline while dressed in a wrinkled suit..

Guy was a failure from minute 1, with or without punching his girlfriend in the face. as weird as it sounds, we dodged a bullet with this guy. him doing it quickly saved us a year or two..

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
OK, well I was kind of going back to the what? Mid 90's? I don't know, that's 25 years, that's a long time. But your point is valid, "long history of success" can be interpreted many ways.
yes, no offense as age plays strange tricks on the way everyone views time. You never had a reference point of Whisky suckiness and that is all I knew. Ditto for Oregon. ..When I graduated high school in 83' it had been 19 years since the Beatles came to America. It might have been the same as Columbus coming to America as it seemed like an eternity ago in the past. Nowadays, Seinfeld ended 20 years ago and it seems like it has been off the air for 5 or 6 seasons...

he was being mocked by the players in his opening meeting with them. A pitt player was quoted as them all laughing at him in his introductory meeting with the team, talking about discipline while dressed in a wrinkled suit..

Guy was a failure from minute 1, with or without punching his girlfriend in the face. as weird as it sounds, we dodged a bullet with this guy. him doing it quickly saved us a year or two..
So like I said he would be a terrible coach and had no chance of succeeding?

We should find out who the h-ll hired him and take some action?????

Did we get the PITT shirt we gave him back ?
It could come in handy in the future to give to another coach like the Badminton coach or someoone like that.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

So like I said he would be a terrible coach and had no chance of succeeding?

We should find out who the h-ll hired him and take some action?????

Did we get the PITT shirt we gave him back ?
It could come in handy in the future to give to another coach like the Badminton coach or someoone like that.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
dude, we got scammed a few times much worse than haywood. what our former AD did with stallings and the search firm was downright criminal. What nordy did with giving Pederson 2+ million, full well knowing he was going to be fired, was downright criminal.

We cant do anything about those two situations, we aren't going to do anything with hiring freddy Krueger.

had on a crappy sweatshirt the other day as I headed out to the grocery store and my son (University of Pittsburgh class of 2020) asked me to put on something decent as he said I looked like Paul Chryst..
That's a perfect opportunity to educate junior about estate planning. Or, more specifically, wills.

yes, no offense as age plays strange tricks on the way everyone views time. You never had a reference point of Whisky suckiness and that is all I knew. Ditto for Oregon. ..When I graduated high school in 83' it had been 19 years since the Beatles came to America. It might have been the same as Columbus coming to America as it seemed like an eternity ago in the past. Nowadays, Seinfeld ended 20 years ago and it seems like it has been off the air for 5 or 6 seasons...
83, you're a pup. 1970 here, 2 years in the Army then at PITT for the Majors era. Great time to be a PITT fan..…...Then along came Bozik.

dude, we got scammed a few times much worse than haywood. what our former AD did with stallings and the search firm was downright criminal. What nordy did with giving Pederson 2+ million, full well knowing he was going to be fired, was downright criminal.

We cant do anything about those two situations, we aren't going to do anything with hiring freddy Krueger.
Special prosecutor??? Chucky
chucky-8.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT