ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone attempting a home haircut yet?

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
I'm much too vain and have only resorted to cutting my bangs.

But we all decided Mr. Pitt-girl needed some work since he is video conferencing all day/everyday. We found a pair of shears in an unused bathroom drawer. What's funny is that they had a set of dog prints on the one side. (We don't own any dogs so I have no idea of their origin.:rolleyes:)

We set him up in the garage and after watching a few YouTubes, our eldest felt like a pro. It went well albeit he now looks like Robert Duvall from Apocalypse Now. Looking at all the tufts of hair on and around him we naturally took out the leaf blower to clean him up.

Voila. Pandemic living.

I started to use more jel to minimize the growth and now am looking at the comeback of the "Mullet". It's not as bad as I remember.

Yes. I have a home clipper set and have trimmed the sides and back twice. Haven’t touched the top yet but have to believe it’s just a matter of time. I got my set at Walgreens. If you can find a kit, it can come in handy.

Reactions: Elsalvador
Yes. I have a home clipper set and have trimmed the sides and back twice. Haven’t touched the top yet but have to believe it’s just a matter of time. I got my set at Walgreens. If you can find a kit, it can come in handy.
Ha... bought mine a Walgreens, too, a day after they shut down non-essentials... it cost about the same I pay for one cut, so I figured, why not? Did 90% myself and had my daughter blend the sides and trim all edges of neck/ears. It surprisingly looks pretty good... my expectations were pretty low though.

I’ve had home clippers for quite awhile. The prior kit had just outlived it’s usefulness and I was ready for a new one. The current one I got probably a year ago. My problem is that I prefer the sides and back tighter than the top, otherwise it looks too round, and frequently I’d like a little trim before I really need a full cut. Just taking maybe a half inch off the sides is all I want and the home clippers do an adequate job for that.

I’m normally clean shaven and a short haircut guy, but now going for the Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting look, messy longer hair and beard.

A few more weeks and mine will be as long as it was while attending PITT, although it is now totally grey.

Just get some clippers and throw on a short guard and buzz it all the same length. My 11 year old did mine:)

Funny stuff, I am retired so I don’t have to do video conferences. Also sometimes going to the store with old man wild hair works in your favor. It causes people to obey the 6 foot rule. They seem to be afraid of you because of the unkept mess you have growing.

I might go for the short grab pony tail in another month. That might garner some respect. Like I am scholarly

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I usually don't get a haircut in the winter, so I was getting shaggy. So 3 weeks ago I broke out the clippers, did the sides with 1/2", the top with 5/8" guards. Not bad, still too long. Got greedy. Went with 1/4" on the sides, 3/8" on top. Straight on in the mirror looks good. Get another mirror and check the sides, looks like I trimmed my hair with a hatchet. Thank God its starting to grow out again.

But we all decided Mr. Pitt-girl needed some work since he is video conferencing all day/everyday. We found a pair of shears in an unused bathroom drawer. What's funny is that they had a set of dog prints on the one side. (We don't own any dogs so I have no idea of their origin.:rolleyes:)

We set him up in the garage and after watching a few YouTubes, our eldest felt like a pro. It went well albeit he now looks like Robert Duvall from Apocalypse Now. Looking at all the tufts of hair on and around him we naturally took out the leaf blower to clean him up.

Voila. Pandemic living.
Flobee haircut system. They will deliver

Reactions: rockypanther
I look like one of The Beatles from the early years right now. I bought a trimmer and have only been brave enough to trim up the sideburns so far. But I won't be able to see my ears pretty soon.

Voila. Pandemic living.
My Mom used to cut mine.It looks as if she will be called back into action.

I cut my hair weekly with a Wahl clipper, and have been doing that for many years.

I like my hair to be very short. Not buzz cut short, but it's so thin that with any length at all it goes everywhere with the first gust of wind.

I also don't have much at all on top, so I don't have to worry about parting it, or sculpting it from top to sides. Think "Kevin Stallings" haircut.

One of the main benefits of using the clippers is that I can trim my eyebrows weekly, so I don't look like I have a caterpillar over my eyes.

iu

Reactions: rockypanther
It's the John Belushi animal house look and going with it.
Last time my wife cut my hair I almost needed a stitch in my ear.
I told her it's a before cocktails activity which starts around noon these days.

I’m normally clean shaven and a short haircut guy, but now going for the Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting look, messy longer hair and beard.
Sorry.....Cary Grant would hate the Jeremiah Johnson look. I hate the Don Johnson look.

My wife gave me a "trim" around ears, back of neck etc. She does a reasonable clean up. I'll be glad to get back to my regular barber, however. She also did a decent cut for our 13 year old granddaughter who is staying with us. Can't figure if lawn care is considered an essential service why isn't hair care?

My wife gave me a "trim" around ears, back of neck etc. She does a reasonable clean up. I'll be glad to get back to my regular barber, however. She also did a decent cut for our 13 year old granddaughter who is staying with us. Can't figure if lawn care is considered an essential service why isn't hair care?

Well, hard to give a haircut from six feet away!

I'd gladly have our hair cutter come to our house to cut both our hair but we misplaced her number and she moved in the interim.

She's our regular hair cutter at a shop but does extra hair cutting on the side for extra money.

I'd gladly have our hair cutter come to our house to cut both our hair but we misplaced her number and she moved in the interim.

She's our regular hair cutter at a shop but does extra hair cutting on the side for extra money.
Same here but not having luck convincing her. I also proposed meeting with my trainer in a large outdoor location properly spaced apart and I'd self pay, but no luck with that either. I'm doing the best I can with what I have at home, but my workouts have clearly suffered.

Unfortunately I think gyms will be among the last businesses to resume full operations.

If I read correctly they risk losing their license if they were to do this.

I can understand if they attempted to continue covert activities in their place of business, but who cares if they come into your home especially masked, gloved, etc. JMO.

I can understand if they attempted to continue covert activities in their place of business, but who cares if they come into your home especially masked, gloved, etc. JMO.

Not disagreeing I just think they aren't allowed to do it.

Same here but not having luck convincing her. I also proposed meeting with my trainer in a large outdoor location properly spaced apart and I'd self pay, but no luck with that either. I'm doing the best I can with what I have at home, but my workouts have clearly suffered.

Unfortunately I think gyms will be among the last businesses to resume full operations.

I miss the gym as much as just about anyone. Any regular Joe anyway. The gym benefits me mentally as much as physically. Like you I’m doing what I can with what I have at home - which isn’t much. But other than a mass gathering that’ll be the last place I go back to until there’s a treatment/cure/vaccine etc.

Even if salons/barbershops are permitted to reopen, there is no guarantee they will right away. Would you want to cut a stranger’s hair?

I cut my hair weekly with a Wahl clipper, and have been doing that for many years.

I like my hair to be very short. Not buzz cut short, but it's so thin that with any length at all it goes everywhere with the first gust of wind.

I also don't have much at all on top, so I don't have to worry about parting it, or sculpting it from top to sides. Think "Kevin Stallings" haircut.

One of the main benefits of using the clippers is that I can trim my eyebrows weekly, so I don't look like I have a caterpillar over my eyes.

iu
Don't forget the ear hair:)

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
It would be like anyone else coming to your home to help you out who isn't on official business.
Masked, gloved, not on official business.

All around us contractors are visiting homes , doing maintenance fixing things and installing new stuff.

I dont think her boss the salon owner would care if she found out as long as she isnt representing the salon.

We're selling alot of furniture and had a buyer come yesterday.

The week prior a guy came to our house to upgrade one of my laptops.

Life goes on for some.

No, I’m going to hold off to cut my hair until this is all over and we can do it safely. I’m starting to look a little bit shaggy, but so what?

Reactions: vikings1980
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT