ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Are all of the commits signing on Wednesday?

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Pitt currently stands at 19 commitments for the 2019 class. Do they all plan to sign on Wednesday?

The answer is no.

We know that Brandon Mack is delaying his signing until February while he takes other official visits. But I don't expect the other 18 to sign on Wednesday.

In particular, there are two whose signatures may not come through.

By all accounts, Brima is solid with Pitt. "100%" was the quote I got from someone close to him. But there might be a logistical issue with getting it done on Wednesday. As long as a recruit is under 21, he or she needs a signature from a parent/guardian, and it sounds like there might be a problem with getting that done. I don't have all the details and it appears to be a personal matter, but the relevant point, from what I can gather, is that he is still set on Pitt and nothing is wavering there.

So Brima might not sign on Wednesday, but he'll get the LOI in eventually.

This is one is more complicated. I'm hearing that Malone will not be signing his Letter of Intent on Wednesday, but I can't get a solid read on why he is planning to delay until February. It doesn't seem that any other schools have gotten involved with Malone - that's one potential explanation: that another school convinced him to hold off and take an official visit in January - but I also haven't confirmed that this decision to delay came on a suggestion from Pitt.

What makes the situation more curious is that Malone did not take an official visit to Pitt in December and also that we haven't been able to confirm that Pitt coaches visited him over the last two weeks. In late November, he told me he was planning to set up his official visit "soon;" that didn't happen. Then, on Dec. 2 - the day after the ACC title game when the Pitt coaches were heading out on the road - Malone told me he hadn't heard when the coaches would be visiting him.

That's not to say that Pitt never visited him. I can't say that with 100% certainty, but that was the last contact I had with Malone. I don't want to connect too many dots here because we don't have all of the information, but we do know this: Malone plans to sign in February.

That's pretty notable for the class and how things will shake out on Wednesday. We'll see what other details we can dig up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News