ADVERTISEMENT

Army, Navy, and random college football thoughts

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
- Army and Navy are probably going to play each other 2 weeks in a row. December 7 in the American Athletic Conference Championship and then December 14 in the Army/Navy game. I wonder if they'd just cancel the AAC Championship and make the Army/Navy game on December 14 the championship game. Playing 2 weeks in a row seems stupid. Both teams play ND and while everyone is penciling in Boise for the G5 slot, if Army or Navy goes unbeaten.....or finish with 1 loss and Boise loses another, I think Army or Navy go to the CFP and that would be awesome.

- Oklahoma: they are finished as a program. They are the new Nebraska. Both Oklahoma and Nebraska needed the Big 12 so they can recruit Texas. Neither school has a local recruiting base. With Texas becoming an SEC state, all of a sudden, OU has more competition to recruit there and I dont see them doing any better than Texas A&M, Arkansas, Mississippi, etc. I think OU is done.

- Somebody check on Stanford. They don't seem too interested in football. Need a new coach to reinvigorate that program. There werent 5000 people at their game vs SMU.

- Speaking of SMU, maybe its just me but I've always thought the SMU uniforms remind me of some fake team from a movie or TV show. Not sure what it is but the Mustang helmet kinda looks generic and maybe its because I've probably watched almost no SMU football in my life. They've always been in a league that I had no interest in and they never played those Tue/Wed night games which are great for TV. Watched a lot of UTEP this year because they are a Wednesday special.

- So much stadium constuction going on where almost entire sides of stadiums are being ripped out and replaced: Army, Vandy, SJSU, FSU, Oregon St, Memphis, etc. Some interesting visuals.

- With the shift to putting better games on ACCN and SECN, the ESPN2 and ESPNU games now are bad. Its like an AAC, Sun Belt, and FCS fiesta. I remember back in the day if we could get ESPN2, it was a big deal. Now North Dakota State is playing South Dakota State on ESPN2 primetime.

- What would possess Arch Manning to volunteer to ride the bench for 2 years? If his life's goal was to be QB1 @ Texas, why not go play for Arkansas or someone like that for 2 years and then transfer? It never ceases to amaze me how willing guys are to sit the bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: USN_Panther
Oklahoma wasn’t going to recruit Texas any better in a second rate Big 12.

Recruiting Texas with A&M and UT in the SEC and them not, would have been impossible.

The SEC was the best they were going to be able to do. But I agree. The landscape of college football is leaving them behind. To difficult to go as far away as they need to go to recruit, to maintain an elite program when those bases are dominated by local machines.

They also aren’t serious about truly winning. The stories that OU insiders talk about in terms of compliance enforcement is just not something you’d ever hear coming out of Ohio State or SEC schools. OU has always been the least dirty of the major schools, and it holds them back relative to the others.

Oklahoma wasn’t going to recruit Texas any better in a second rate Big 12.

Recruiting Texas with A&M and UT in the SEC and them not, would have been impossible.

The SEC was the best they were going to be able to do. But I agree. The landscape of college football is leaving them behind. To difficult to go as far away as they need to go to recruit, to maintain an elite program when those bases are dominated by local machines.

They also aren’t serious about truly winning. The stories that OU insiders talk about in terms of compliance enforcement is just not something you’d ever hear coming out of Ohio State or SEC schools. OU has always been the least dirty of the major schools, and it holds them back relative to the others.

I didn't mean to suggest they should have turned down an SEC invite. I just meant they needed the B12 to stay intact. They are just an also-ran in the SEC. Basically they will be Auburn. 8-4, 7-5. Maybe once a decade they can have a really good team. They remind me a little of when Syracuse hoops left the Big East. Syracuse lost that I95 corridor recruiting base and all of a sudden started losing recruits to Nova, Prov, SHU, PSU, Rut, etc. Surprised to hear they are strict with compliance. Not sure I believe that.

- Army and Navy are probably going to play each other 2 weeks in a row. December 7 in the American Athletic Conference Championship and then December 14 in the Army/Navy game. I wonder if they'd just cancel the AAC Championship and make the Army/Navy game on December 14 the championship game. Playing 2 weeks in a row seems stupid. Both teams play ND and while everyone is penciling in Boise for the G5 slot, if Army or Navy goes unbeaten.....or finish with 1 loss and Boise loses another, I think Army or Navy go to the CFP and that would be awesome.
The AAC Championship Game is contracted to ESPN/ABC and the Army-Navy Game is contracted to CBS, so the chances of canceling the AAC Championship are zero.

Reactions: cashisking884
The AAC Championship Game is contracted to ESPN/ABC and the Army-Navy Game is contracted to CBS, so the chances of canceling the AAC Championship are zero.
Well there is also the fact that top 5 ranked conference champions make the playoff. So a lot could be riding on that AAC Championship game. If anything, they would cancel the Dec. 14 game.

Reactions: cashisking884
I admit, I have no idea what you are talking about.

I do, however, know that there is no chance that they are cancelling either the AAC championship game or the Army-Navy game.

There is a 0% chance that the Army/Navy game gets canceled. However, there is a very small chance that an American Athletic Conference Championship game between Army and Navy gets canceled. The AAC did this in 2020 when Cincy and Tulsa would have played 2 in a row. Of course, that was the Covid year so it made more sense then but its not unprecedented. I get that Disney owns the rights to the AAC Championship and I'm sure they'd love to televise and Army/Navy Championship game. That said, everything has a price. If Army & Navy don't want to play 2 in a row, I'm sure those 2 programs plus the AAC office could reach a financial settlement with Disney to not play it.

- Oklahoma: they are finished as a program. They are the new Nebraska. Both Oklahoma and Nebraska needed the Big 12 so they can recruit Texas. Neither school has a local recruiting base. With Texas becoming an SEC state, all of a sudden, OU has more competition to recruit there and I dont see them doing any better than Texas A&M, Arkansas, Mississippi, etc. I think OU is done.

- Somebody check on Stanford. They don't seem too interested in football. Need a new coach to reinvigorate that program. There werent 5000 people at their game vs SMU.

- Speaking of SMU, maybe its just me but I've always thought the SMU uniforms remind me of some fake team from a movie or TV show. Not sure what it is but the Mustang helmet kinda looks generic and maybe its because I've probably watched almost no SMU football in my life. They've always been in a league that I had no interest in and they never played those Tue/Wed night games which are great for TV. Watched a lot of UTEP this year because they are a Wednesday special.

- So much stadium constuction going on where almost entire sides of stadiums are being ripped out and replaced: Army, Vandy, SJSU, FSU, Oregon St, Memphis, etc. Some interesting visuals.

- With the shift to putting better games on ACCN and SECN, the ESPN2 and ESPNU games now are bad. Its like an AAC, Sun Belt, and FCS fiesta. I remember back in the day if we could get ESPN2, it was a big deal. Now North Dakota State is playing South Dakota State on ESPN2 primetime.

- What would possess Arch Manning to volunteer to ride the bench for 2 years? If his life's goal was to be QB1 @ Texas, why not go play for Arkansas or someone like that for 2 years and then transfer? It never ceases to amaze me how willing guys are to sit the bench.
I agree 100% with Oklahoma. Makes zero sense why their coach left to go to USC unless he knew about the SEC merger, only get to caught up in going from being one of 2-3 relevant teams to the Big Ten.
Same with Texas. Georgia has won more national titles in the last 3 years than Texas has since 1970.

There is a 0% chance that the Army/Navy game gets canceled. However, there is a very small chance that an American Athletic Conference Championship game between Army and Navy gets canceled. The AAC did this in 2020 when Cincy and Tulsa would have played 2 in a row. Of course, that was the Covid year so it made more sense then but its not unprecedented. I get that Disney owns the rights to the AAC Championship and I'm sure they'd love to televise and Army/Navy Championship game. That said, everything has a price. If Army & Navy don't want to play 2 in a row, I'm sure those 2 programs plus the AAC office could reach a financial settlement with Disney to not play it.

The only thing that Army would like better than beating Navy is beating Navy twice. The only thing that Navy would like better than to beat Army would be to beat Army twice.

I agree 100% with Oklahoma. Makes zero sense why their coach left to go to USC unless he knew about the SEC merger, only get to caught up in going from being one of 2-3 relevant teams to the Big Ten.
Same with Texas. Georgia has won more national titles in the last 3 years than Texas has since 1970.

Texas can be a top SEC program forever as long as they have the right coach. Everything is in place there. Just need a coach. Sark may or may not be the guy.

The only thing that Army would like better than beating Navy is beating Navy twice. The only thing that Navy would like better than to beat Army would be to beat Army twice.

Its not that simple. Lets say both are 10-1 with a loss to ND and due to other happenings in the G5, a 1 loss Army/Navy team is all but assured of a CFP bid. Why play 2 so that Army wins in Week 1 and Navy wins in Week 2 and they knock each other out and send Boise/UNLV? Having Army or Navy in the CFP would be simply awesome and there'd be no reason to play 2 weeks in a row if doing so can ruin that.

Its not that simple. Lets say both are 10-1 with a loss to ND and due to other happenings in the G5, a 1 loss Army/Navy team is all but assured of a CFP bid. Why play 2 so that Army wins in Week 1 and Navy wins in Week 2 and they knock each other out and send Boise/UNLV? Having Army or Navy in the CFP would be simply awesome and there'd be no reason to play 2 weeks in a row if doing so can ruin that.

Because the college football playoff teams will be picked before the potential second Army - Navy game. So it will actually have absolutely nothing at all to do with either team making the playoff or not.

You'd think a "knowledgeable" poster such as yourself would know that. Guess not.

Because the college football playoff teams will be picked before the potential second Army - Navy game. So it will actually have absolutely nothing at all to do with either team making the playoff or not.

You'd think a "knowledgeable" poster such as yourself would know that. Guess not.

Actually, I heard an announcer say last week during a game I was watching that they'd wait until after the Dec 14 Army/Navy game to announce the field in the event that that game decided a bid. Like if Army would be in with a win but Boise in with an Army loss. Not sure if that's true. I kinda doubt it but that's what this guy said.

Also, even if the field has to be picked before that game, they could easily pick 2 brackets. If they feel that the Dec 14 winner gets in with a win, make a bracket for that contingency. If they feel that if a certain team loses on Dec 14, make a bracket for that. Its pretty likely that the G5 rep would be the 12 seed anyway so it would be pretty easy to set this up:

#5 Texas hosts #12 Army if they beat Navy on Dec 14. If Army loses to Navy, then Texas will host #12 Boise State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT