ADVERTISEMENT

Article about terrible bowl attendance

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
https://937thefan.radio.com/article...diums-wont-stop-number-of-bowls-from-going-up

You want my idea?

Mini-tournaments similar to the NIT

For example: Lets say it was Pitt @ Indiana and Iowa State @ Cincy. Games would be pre-Christmas. Winners play at the Gator Bowl or whatever.

Inotherwords, have a playoff to earn a berth in the following respected non-NY6 bowls

Gator
Citrus
Outback
Music City
Alamo
Holiday
Belk
Russell Athletic

Matchups would be determined by merit, geography, and rivalry. Like maybe one year, Pitt, WVU, Temple, and PSU play for a spot in the Russell Athletic Bowl.

"At the stadium, the Cotton Bowl between Penn State and Memphis drew 54,828, the smallest crowd since 1948."

They are!

Reactions: Pittnerski
https://937thefan.radio.com/article...diums-wont-stop-number-of-bowls-from-going-up

You want my idea?

For example: Lets say it was Pitt @ Indiana and Iowa State @ Cincy. Games would be pre-Christmas. Winners play at the Gator Bowl or whatever.

Inotherwords, have a playoff to earn a berth in the following respected non-NY6 bowls

Gator
Citrus
Outback
Music City
Alamo
Holiday
Belk
Russell Athletic

Matchups would be determined by merit, geography, and rivalry. Like maybe one year, Pitt, WVU, Temple, and PSU play for a spot in the Russell Athletic Bowl.

It's cute that you think the bowls get real bent out of shape about attendance. Yeah, it helps and they like a good number but the real revenue comes from TV. The host city/municipality is the only one who worries about attendance.

Also, if you think attendance is bad for a minor bowl game, do you think injecting one more meaningless game into the mix is going to help?

Reactions: ThePanthers
Why not have a 16 team playoff, and a 24 team NIT? 40 of 130 teams could go to the post season, even crappy programs like Pitt would make it SOMETIMES.

It's cute that you think the bowls get real bent out of shape about attendance. Yeah, it helps and they like a good number but the real revenue comes from TV. The host city/municipality is the only one who worries about attendance.

Also, if you think attendance is bad for a minor bowl game, do you think injecting one more meaningless game into the mix is going to help?

You think I dont know that? Of course I know most of their revenue comes from their TV revenue. ESPN doesn't own 14 bowl games to sell tickets. They own them to sell commercials to companies who want 1 million people to see their ad.

That said, Wright Waters has at least acknowledged that dismal bowl attendance is an issue. My genius idea allows for "NIT teams" to get 1 more home game in mid-December against a rival or an interesting opponent for a chance to win their way to a decent bowl game. That bowl would have 2 teams coming off nice wins which would help attendance.

Cool. Who is paying for it?
TV Networks I suppose. It would be more interesting than the bowl games. How many bowl games did you watch? I watched the Quicklane Bowl.... THE END. Oh, I watched a quarter here, ten minutes there of other games, but really Pitt's game is the only one I watched from beginning to end. Do you actually watch a lot of these games?

You want my idea?

Gator
Citrus
Outback
Music City
Alamo
Holiday
Belk
Russell Athletic

Do you think there'd be more than 20,000 people at Heinz Field on a Saturday in December for Pitt vs. Indiana, ISU or Cincy? It's a busy time of year for most people along with no one caring about the bowls you listed above. The only bowls that matter are the Rose and whatever bowls are hosting the playoff games and what use is a regular season if there's a tourney at the end of the year for a trip to Charlotte, NC and that's a product of the Playoff.

Also if Pitt would have beaten Miami and BC they would have gone to the Music City or Belk and if they added a VT win along with those other two they would have been in the Orange or Russell Athletic.

You think I dont know that? Of course I know most of their revenue comes from their TV revenue. ESPN doesn't own 14 bowl games to sell tickets. They own them to sell commercials to companies who want 1 million people to see their ad.

That said, Wright Waters has at least acknowledged that dismal bowl attendance is an issue. My genius idea allows for "NIT teams" to get 1 more home game in mid-December against a rival or an interesting opponent for a chance to win their way to a decent bowl game. That bowl would have 2 teams coming off nice wins which would help attendance.
There’s only one big problem, these little mini tournaments you’re proposing will do nothing to increase interest or ‘move the needle’. Only thing that will do that in any meaningful way is to increase the CFB playoff pool.

TV Networks I suppose. It would be more interesting than the bowl games. How many bowl games did you watch? I watched the Quicklane Bowl.... THE END. Oh, I watched a quarter here, ten minutes there of other games, but really Pitt's game is the only one I watched from beginning to end. Do you actually watch a lot of these games?

I always watch The U's bowl games. It's fun watching them lose.

Make the playoffs the top 12 including all of the P5 division winners. Top 4 get a bye the next 8 play in. 7 games total.

Discontinued all of the "bowl" games. They are already meaningless.

Dump the "commitee" in exchange for a formula that benefits playing other good P5 teams OOC. The formula for seeding needs stated in advance to allow teams to adjust their scheduling.

None of this is rocket science.

Make the playoffs the top 12 including all of the P5 division winners. Top 4 get a bye the next 8 play in. 7 games total.

Dump the "commitee" in exchange for a formula that benefits playing other good P5 teams OOC. The formula for seeding needs stated in advance to allow teams to adjust their scheduling.

Division or conference champs is what should be in it, a school should be able to play their way into a playoff. And if the subjectively identified best teams don't make it, screw them, if they are so BEST, win the games that put you in the tourney, and if you lose THAT game, and win the other 12, well.... TUFF CRAP.

Do you think there'd be more than 20,000 people at Heinz Field on a Saturday in December for Pitt vs. Indiana, ISU or Cincy? It's a busy time of year for most people along with no one caring about the bowls you listed above. The only bowls that matter are the Rose and whatever bowls are hosting the playoff games and what use is a regular season if there's a tourney at the end of the year for a trip to Charlotte, NC and that's a product of the Playoff.

Also if Pitt would have beaten Miami and BC they would have gone to the Music City or Belk and if they added a VT win along with those other two they would have been in the Orange or Russell Athletic.

At Pitt? No. And that's why they wouldn't host games like that very often. On the flipside, how many tickets would be sold for Pitt @ PSU or WVU @ Pitt or Texas @ Texas A&M?

How might a mini-tournament of say Texas vs A&M, Indiana @ Louisville done? Winners play at Alamo Bowl lets say

In other words, make the college post season as close to the NFL's as possible.

I'm not saying your suggestion wouldn't be better, but I doubt college football fans would want to get rid of the tradition of bowls.

Last edited:

No TV money, no tournament. That's how it works as much as we'd prefer it to happen.

I watch some. Always Pitt and Air Force. I watched PSU and the two CFP games so far. Couple of minutes here and there of a couple others.

For every game that the playoffs increases at at the end of the season, the NCAA needs to reduce the number of regular season games for all teams.

National champ teams are up to 15 games already...that’s a 25% increase over what it was just 20 years ago for some of these “students”.

Who can afford a 16 team playoff? Do you expect the fanbase to get to every game? It's hard enough getting time off on such short notice. Imagine trying to juggle schedule each week waiting to see if and when your team would play next

Reactions: pittdan77
Who can afford a 16 team playoff? Do you expect the fanbase to get to every game? It's hard enough getting time off on such short notice. Imagine trying to juggle schedule each week waiting to see if and when your team would play next

You'd have to play at the higher seed's stadium for at least the first two rounds.

Why not have a 16 team playoff, and a 24 team NIT? 40 of 130 teams could go to the post season, even crappy programs like Pitt would make it SOMETIMES.
Pitt is not a crappy program. Hope you feel better

No matter what is proposed, it doesn’t change the fact that there are too many bowl games. I can’t imagine that enough people actually watched on tv to make some of these bowl games worth it. Maybe I’m wrong but we certainly need a different system than rewarding six win teams.

You’re going to see the 16 team playoff eventually. No NIT though, and traditional bowl games will die off as well. Increasing amounts of players sitting out what amounts to meaningless games will be their death knell.

All kind of weird.
QuickLane Bowl had 3.05 m viewers.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

The TV viewership for the QuickLane Bowl is very interesting.

Bowl games the day after Xmas are hard for fans to attend (I know QuickLane Bowl set attendance record this year) but it looks like those games are good for TV viewership.

College football fans must have been jonesing after only 1 bowl game on Xmas Eve and no games on Xmas Day.

I always wondered why there were bowl games the day after Xmas. Now I know.

Alternatively may be Pitt fans are bad for showing up for games but good for watching games on TV. Just kidding.

FTP
NGF

You want my idea?

Gator
Citrus
Outback
Music City
Alamo
Holiday
Belk
Russell Athletic

Sorry, hate to say this, but another stupid post.

Hate to tell you, but other than the CFP and Rose Bowl, the other games DON'T MATTER.

This is all ESPN's fault for wanting more live programming. The game's don't matter, and some of the teams that play in the games don't care.
Miami this year and Georgia last year come to mind.
Also the bigger problem I have is traveling to the games. How much does it cost to attend these games? Airplane tickets, hotel, game tickets, time off work.....

Yes SMF, that is pure genius. They should definitely force more games on players without compensation.l while everyone else makes money. And I'm not one of those pay the player advocates either and I realize how unfair your proposal is to them.

Attendance at bowl games is simply an extension of lower attendance throughout CFB all season.

Nothing new here.

Who travels over the holidays other than to the Caymans, Bon Aire, Key West, Aruba, or some other nice place.

Site all the bowl games on great beaches and attendance goes up!

Attendance doesn't matter TV revenue does.

32 team playoff with sites spread all over the place like NCAA basketball with the final 4 and final at one location with access to a nice resort beach area!

If I had my way with it, I would scrap every bowl besides the NY6 and maybe some of the big second tiers (Camping World, Alamo, etc.) and replace them with a week 13 game that teams can schedule with whoever.

Pitt could play WVU, Missouri and Kansas could resume the Border War, etc.

No matter what is proposed, it doesn’t change the fact that there are too many bowl games. I can’t imagine that enough people actually watched on tv to make some of these bowl games worth it. Maybe I’m wrong but we certainly need a different system than rewarding six win teams.

I actually like the bowl games. Although, they shouldn’t play any non Playoff now games after the Net Year.

If I had my way with it, I would scrap every bowl besides the NY6 and maybe some of the big second tiers (Camping World, Alamo, etc.) and replace them with a week 13 game that teams can schedule with whoever.

Pitt could play WVU, Missouri and Kansas could resume the Border War, etc.

I'd be for this also. Not as good as my NIT-like 4 team mini-tournaments for a spot in a 2nd tier bowl game but not bad. After your season ends, each program can contract with another program, whoever they want, to play a 13th game.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Hate to tell you, but other than the CFP and Rose Bowl, the other games DON'T MATTER.

Actually, for me, the only postseason game that matters in college football, is whatever Bowl Pitt is in- it's the only one I watched from beginning to end, then watched the DVR a 2nd time, the CFP and tonight's final DON'T MATTER, but I am DVRing the condensed 2 hour replay on ESPNU and might watch it later if it's a great game.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Almost nobody involved dislikes these games. Coaches like the extra practice and the kids enjoy the perks (even crummy bowl games have a lot of free stuff). TV likes them because they fill up time when nobody is really watching anyway. A crummy bowl game is still going to do better than most of the alternatives.

You'd have to play at the higher seed's stadium for at least the first two rounds.

Easier said than done. There would have to be a pretty significant payday to make it worth it to a host school.

Almost nobody involved dislikes these games. Coaches like the extra practice and the kids enjoy the perks (even crummy bowl games have a lot of free stuff). TV likes them because they fill up time when nobody is really watching anyway. A crummy bowl game is still going to do better than most of the alternatives.

Easier said than done. There would have to be a pretty significant payday to make it worth it to a host school.

You dont think #1 LSU hosting #16 Memphis makes LSU and the CFP money? How much money is made from NOT playing that game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT