ADVERTISEMENT

Article on ACC Network prep

According to one of the related articles, Pitt is spending $8million. More than FSU ($7million) and Clemson ($6.2million) and the same as Louisville. Those are all big sports revenue programs and it puts Pitt in the upper echelon in terms of $$$ commitment in the ACC based on the numbers reported. It's good to see that kind of investment on an athletics-related project on Pitt's part.

As had been previously reported, Pitt's studios will be located in the Pete. They are scheduled to open this October. Also as had been reported earlier, Pitt is working to create a broadcast curriculum for students. All pretty encouraging stuff.

I heard about a year ago that there would be a large in-kind contribution to Pitt's ACCN facilities from one or more of the local network affiliates. There are multiple Pitt-friendly connections at the networks. The only specifics I heard were that some free design work could be provided. I believe that each school was given basic guidelines for set design but where still given leeway to personalize. There is quite a bit to the science of set design. It is important that when the network goes live and that all these locations hit the air that Pitt is seen to be at the forefront. Another good sign from the Pitt admin.

With cord cutting becoming more and more mainstream and the Raycom deal ending, I hope this means no more games on AT&T Sportsnet.

With cord cutting becoming more and more mainstream and the Raycom deal ending, I hope this means no more games on AT&T Sportsnet.

This is correct. The 18-19 season will be the last year that the ACC syndicates its games through Raycom (to over the air station) and Fox Sports South (to RSN's). Next year, if its not on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or CBS (bball only), then it will be on ACCN. If not ACCN, then ACC Network Extra through the ESPN app. But definitely no more ATTSN, WTAE, or thisTV. If there is a downside to this, its that out of footprint fans that may have gotten random syndicated Pitt games will not get them anymore if their provider doesnt have ACCN. For example, some Cali stations buy those ACC packages but they wont be able to next year. So if you live in Cali, better hope your provider adds ACCN to some tier or you are out of luck.

According to one of the related articles, Pitt is spending $8million. More than FSU ($7million) and Clemson ($6.2million) and the same as Louisville. Those are all big sports revenue programs and it puts Pitt in the upper echelon in terms of $$$ commitment in the ACC based on the numbers reported. It's good to see that kind of investment on an athletics-related project on Pitt's part.

As had been previously reported, Pitt's studios will be located in the Pete. They are scheduled to open this October. Also as had been reported earlier, Pitt is working to create a broadcast curriculum for students. All pretty encouraging stuff.

The only thing to caution on actual spend, some schools were further along prior to the announcement in their studio and capabilities. I think FSU had a streaming channel of some sort (although low level), but the foundation was there.

But yeah, Pitt is going all in, as promised by all ACC schools to make this channel, and it's streaming counterpart a full go from launch at a quality ESPN requires.

As mentioned in the article, the SEC schools have done this piecemeal and wish the upfront investment and committment was there from day one instead of a work in progress they are still going through.

Reactions: DiehardPanther

Any word on if Pitt is bringing back Lothrop What What?

That is largely because we were so far behind in the already available departments/facilities.

Until Pitt makes this kind of commitment across the board , and they seem to be , we swim upstream. All the past administration's did for the most part , relating to sports, window dress.

Until Pitt makes this kind of commitment across the board , and they seem to be , we swim upstream. All the past administration's did for the most part , relating to sports, window dress.

The past administration didn’t have ACC distribution revenues. The difference in financial investment in athletics, thus far, has 100% come from the increase in Pitt’s conference payouts, and the current administration has the past to thank for that.

Pitt is now more able to investments across the board, and is doing so, but it is still woefully behind in donations and gate receipts. There is a ton of work to do.

Reactions: ThePanthers

Broadcasting curriculum. Hallelujah hallelujah. It’s about damn time.

Wow!! Pitt's Leadership is finally getting their heads out of their asses? Amazing. The Philosophy Team must be getting ready to riot.

I haven't really followed this network upcoming much but any word on what streaming channels may be on? I have 2 I follow now, Sling for the ESPN channels and FuboTV for the local NFL games. ACC extra is in Sling at the moment so hoping the ACC network is as well...anyone read anything?

Its going to be on the same tier with SEC Network , almost guaranteed. They are all in partnership with ESPN. Otherwords, if you get SEC Network now , you will get ACC .
Will be better than searching a thousands channels to find a early season PItt game.

I haven't really followed this network upcoming much but any word on what streaming channels may be on? I have 2 I follow now, Sling for the ESPN channels and FuboTV for the local NFL games. ACC extra is in Sling at the moment so hoping the ACC network is as well...anyone read anything?
Acc network will replace acc extra. You'll be good

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT