ADVERTISEMENT

Awful Friendly Performance

121rum

Sophomore
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2019
That was shocking and embarrassing. I've never seen our midfield that terrible. We are not a team that can build from the back.

That was shocking and embarrassing. I've never seen our midfield that terrible. We are not a team that can build from the back.
I missed it because I was working. I can’t comment but did see that Zimmerman and Long had a hard time connecting.

Missed sitter early that could have changed the match?

Missed sitter early that could have changed the match?

Yeah have to imagine sargent, pefok or even pepi buries and the match would've been way different. Pretty much nothing went right in the game, besides turner looking really good. I blame it mostly on the system, but Long, Zimm, Adams, Mckennie, and De La Torre all had horrible games

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Get ready for disappointing November and December.

That is a pathetic miss by Ferreira. Don't worry Derp, you don't need Pefok in for this window to mesh with a possible WC squad.

I think it's 50/50 this piece of trash nepotism hire brings him to Qatar.

Get ready for disappointing November and December.

That is a pathetic miss by Ferreira. Don't worry Derp, you don't need Pefok in for this window to mesh with a possible WC squad.

I think it's 50/50 this piece of trash nepotism hire brings him to Qatar.
We could be England.

In a World Cup, missed opportunities and easy goals send you home. Anyone still think this team will advance?

I was going to complain about how stupid it was to play the game in the middle of a Friday afternoon in Germany, so it started at 8:25 am in the eastern United States, but after this performance maybe the people scheduling the game had the right idea.

Anyone still think this team will advance?

As long as they have a coach more interested in pounding square pegs into round holes rather than simply getting his best players on the field they are going to be in trouble.

He's one of these coaches who thinks that they have figured out the one, correct way to play the game and they aren't changing what they do no matter what. Right up until he gets fired shortly after the World Cup.

It's like he thinks he still coaching at a club where he and team management have control over what types of players are on the team, rather than coaching a national team where you have the players you have and you have to adapt to what is on hand, because you can't just sign a player to play a role that you are missing with the guys you have.

As long as they have a coach more interested in pounding square pegs into round holes rather than simply getting his best players on the field they are going to be in trouble.

He's one of these coaches who thinks that they have figured out the one, correct way to play the game and they aren't changing what they do no matter what. Right up until he gets fired shortly after the World Cup.

It's like he thinks he still coaching at a club where he and team management have control over what types of players are on the team, rather than coaching a national team where you have the players you have and you have to adapt to what is on hand, because you can't just sign a player to play a role that you are missing with the guys you have.
I think he should have been fired as soon as they officially qualified, but he absolutely should be canned like tuna after the world cup. But then again, do we as National Team fans, have any faith that the USSF will conduct a legitimate coaching search that yield's a good manager? I don't.

USSF is full of incompetent buffoons that refuse to tackle the basic and simple tasks with how to grow the federation and national teams. It's nothing but a club.

I'll be honest, I wish Hope Solo or Eric Wynalda woulda won the USSF presidency. They might be quite out there, but they know the game.

Reactions: mike412
Kick the ball. I don't care if soccer has overtaken hockey. USA Hockey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> USA Soccer. In fact, if the USA hockey team is walking in a room, the USA soccer team should be forced turn around and face the wall because they are unworthy of looking at them. USA Soccer is, was and will always be, LOSERS.

Kick the ball. I don't care if soccer has overtaken hockey. USA Hockey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> USA Soccer. In fact, if the USA hockey team is walking in a room, the USA soccer team should be forced turn around and face the wall because they are unworthy of looking at them. USA Soccer is, was and will always be, LOSERS.
Lol. I think both statements harsh. I don’t think soccer has overtaken hockey by any means and it really shouldn’t matter even if it did. We like what we like. The fact is that is that in some pockets of this country, hockey is a way of life. I don’t know if soccer can say that.

as far as the second statement, it’s easy to forget that this country was essentially a World Cup semifinalist only a couple WC cycles ago if there was VAR then, and who knows what would have happened if they were in the semi or even made the final. But that team played a certain way. They weren’t as talented as the big boys so their identity was playing strong, physical, gritty and tough to play against. Right now we have way more talent than we did then and we are stuck in the middle, knowing we have the talent and are better than 90% of the countries on this earth but probably not enough talent to be a WC contender. So we are stuck wondering what our identity should be.

then there’s Italy who failed to qualify for the WC again, and England who was just relegated to Europes 2nd tier of football with the Grenadas and Trinidad and Tobagos of Europe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 121rum

With the major difference being, of course, that USA hockey should never, ever actually be worse than the third best country in the world, and USA soccer doesn't have that luxury and almost certainly never will.

Reactions: 121rum and Fk_Pitt
With the major difference being, of course, that USA hockey should never, ever actually be worse than the third best country in the world, and USA soccer doesn't have that luxury and almost certainly never will.
I mean, hockey requires a temperature controlled arena with ice, or a frozen pond. A good chunk of the globe doesn’t have the luxury. With soccer you don’t need anything but a ball and dirt, and some countries they use fruit or other stuff taped together. Us Hockey, Canada, Russia, Scandinavian countries all very good in hockey because they have the right weather and arenas. So not too hard to be top in the world. Maybe 5 legit countries that can have hockey. Nearly 200 countries in the world and pretty much all have soccer. We cannot compete with that when we don’t have the history, tradition, clubs, or structure others have. Not to mention we have every sport in this country, many others have just a few sports and it’s typically soccer as top sports.

I mean, hockey requires a temperature controlled arena with ice, or a frozen pond. A good chunk of the globe doesn’t have the luxury. With soccer you don’t need anything but a ball and dirt, and some countries they use fruit or other stuff taped together. Us Hockey, Canada, Russia, Scandinavian countries all very good in hockey because they have the right weather and arenas. So not too hard to be top in the world. Maybe 5 legit countries that can have hockey. Nearly 200 countries in the world and pretty much all have soccer. We cannot compete with that when we don’t have the history, tradition, clubs, or structure others have. Not to mention we have every sport in this country, many others have just a few sports and it’s typically soccer as top sports.
His post just seemed angry and defensive for some reason. Maybe it was meant to be funny but it didn’t come off that way. I had to double check the time stamp because it struck me as a 2am post and not an 8am post.

I bet you enjoy Mark Madden.

Some would argue that that shows that you simply can't roll out the same gameplan all the time, that you need to be able to adjust your plan based on the personnel available.

On the other hand, Berhalter was quoted the other day as saying that all the injuries that they've had is why the team has to play exactly the same way all the time, because you never really know who is going to be available in a given window.

Another crap-tacular performance today. There are some guys on that team today that simply do not belong playing at this level. And there is one guy coaching that team today that does not belong at this level.

Another crap-tacular performance today. There are some guys on that team today that simply do not belong playing at this level. And there is one guy coaching that team today that does not belong at this level.
My prediction- They will come out of their group.

they had moments today. They could have won 2-0. They could have lost 2-0. Sometimes thats soccer. I’d have not felt any better if they had won.

My prediction- They will come out of their group.

they had moments today. They could have won 2-0. They could have lost 2-0. Sometimes thats soccer. I’d have not felt any better if they had won.

Well they SHOULD come out of their group. I am probably less optimistic of that than at any time since the draw.

There were a couple bright-ish spots today. I thought Turner was OK. Scally did some good things in his time on the field. Adams played reasonably well. And, ah, well, um, hmmm.

They desperately need to find someone to put the ball in the net. And Ferreira and Pepi simply don't seem to be up to the task right now. Unless FIFA does us a solid and kicks England out of the tournament and replaces them with Grenada.

Well they SHOULD come out of their group. I am probably less optimistic of that than at any time since the draw.

There were a couple bright-ish spots today. I thought Turner was OK. Scally did some good things in his time on the field. Adams played reasonably well. And, ah, well, um, hmmm.

They desperately need to find someone to put the ball in the net. And Ferreira and Pepi simply don't seem to be up to the task right now. Unless FIFA does us a solid and kicks England out of the tournament and replaces them with Grenada.
Yeah Pepi started and let’s be real, he better not even sniff the field, let alone make the roster.

Well, I didnt watch it because of "the YouTube TV USMNT problem." I love YTTV and all but for whatever reason, even though I have all USMNT set to record, it doesn't record some. I cant figure it out why because this doesn't happen for Pitt games and other teams I have set to record. I thought maybe some games were categorized by YTTV as "CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers" or "FIFA International Friendly." So I set ALL those to record and yet somehow, it decides not to record random games. So I'm like, fine, ok, no problem, I'll just go to the Fox Sports app on my Roku and watch it. It makes me sign in and enter a code on my phone but when I went to foxsports.com to enter the code, bam on the first screen it says KSA 0 USA 0. Thanks.

I questioned at the time playing these teams. I realize we arent in UEFA yet so we have to play down to JV level by playing Asia teams....but in empty stadiums like its Covid 2020? Is that a way to prepare for the intensity of a World Cup?

Zero goals against Japan and Saudi Arabia. And the guy who had the 2nd most goals for the Bundesliga leaders couldn't even manage to get called in.

Ferreira scores goals vs the Colorado Rapids though

Well, I didnt watch it because of "the YouTube TV USMNT problem." I love YTTV and all but for whatever reason, even though I have all USMNT set to record, it doesn't record some. I cant figure it out why because this doesn't happen for Pitt games and other teams I have set to record. I thought maybe some games were categorized by YTTV as "CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers" or "FIFA International Friendly." So I set ALL those to record and yet somehow, it decides not to record random games. So I'm like, fine, ok, no problem, I'll just go to the Fox Sports app on my Roku and watch it. It makes me sign in and enter a code on my phone but when I went to foxsports.com to enter the code, bam on the first screen it says KSA 0 USA 0. Thanks.

I questioned at the time playing these teams. I realize we arent in UEFA yet so we have to play down to JV level by playing Asia teams....but in empty stadiums like its Covid 2020? Is that a way to prepare for the intensity of a World Cup?

Zero goals against Japan and Saudi Arabia. And the guy who had the 2nd most goals for the Bundesliga leaders couldn't even manage to get called in.
I had same issue with recordings. I do get some games on Spanish channel to record, but you are correct about YTTV. There has to be something in the name not being recognized with recording.
But honestly, are we really missing much? I caught some when it looked like it got replayed. But wife decided Dahmer was more exciting and she took over the remote.

I had same issue with recordings. I do get some games on Spanish channel to record, but you are correct about YTTV. There has to be something in the name not being recognized with recording.
But honestly, are we really missing much? I caught some when it looked like it got replayed. But wife decided Dahmer was more exciting and she took over the remote.
The weird thing is this only happens to USMNT games. I have several other teams I record in different sports and it records all their games. You would also have thought it would have recorded it since I have all "FIFA International Friendlies" set to record.

The Dahmer show. I thought about watching that but I'm not big on shows where I already know what happened.

Once, again I really struggle to find fault in a lot of the players for the performance. The system is setting up no one for success. Obviously a few guys had to play that shouldn't be much more then depth, but had to do to injuries. Our cb's cannot handle the ball and pass under pressure, yet Gregg insists on building from the back. On a positive note, I think Dest and Scally both looked really good.

Once, again I really struggle to find fault in a lot of the players for the performance. The system is setting up no one for success. Obviously a few guys had to play that shouldn't be much more then depth, but had to do to injuries. Our cb's cannot handle the ball and pass under pressure, yet Gregg insists on building from the back. On a positive note, I think Dest and Scally both looked really good.
What happened to Chris Richards? Why Aaron Long?

Richards has minor injury that kept him out of camp. Our starting CB's should ream/brooks and richards.

The "funny" thing about the centerbacks is that the coach desperately wants this team to play out of the back, and Ream is a much better passer than either Zimmerman or especially Long, and yet Ream doesn't even get a look and at this point I think the only way that Long doesn't play is if he kills Burphalter mom.

And even then he'd probably still use him off the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT