ADVERTISEMENT

Wake Forest ACC Tournament Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Focus Panther Fans! On this wonderful Pitt Hoops day, I ask for our collective focus on the game and the team we watched today.

** For the moment, let’s move past our collective Lunardi induced haze to grasp and appreciate these 40 minutes in the Nation’s Capital, filled with fullest multitudes of toughness.

** Last night, my Kid home from spring break asked me to go through the history of Pitt Basketball during their lifetime and offer my memories of some of the greatest games during that time.

** Today, we all watched a game that could live among them in the lore of Panther fan memories for decades to come.

** Beyond that, we watched a performance by Mr. Ish that could also live among those legendary performances to speak of decades from now.

** We all remember Sam’s 31 against #1 UConn, or DeJuan’s Thabeet-tossing 22 and 23 in Storrs. Maybe you are fond, as am I, of Brandin’s 20 point, 14 assist outing in the Big East Tournament in Miami in 2002. A look back a little further takes us to Jerome’s 29 and 15 in the Dome at the last regular season game of 1988.

** Ish’s outing today should be right up there with any of them.

** In many ways, one could even put Ish in a class above all of them. This was an individual performance on both ends of the court grounded in a level of toughness above skill among the best I’ve ever seen. It was the performance of Ish’s lifetime on a day when it was needed most by his team.

** How many times did you watch Ish find a way to finish among bigger and stronger men at the basket? How many times did we watch Ish battle for a ball at the glass or to gather a steal on defense? It was nothing short of amazing to watch.

** Still, to look upon only Ish as the only reason for this extraordinarily tough win misses the bigger picture. This was a tremendous team win at the time when contributions were needed from many.

** From the opening tip, we can certainly say our Panthers brought a perfect collective focus, moving and scrapping on defense and on the glass the best we have seen this entire season.

** Against Wake, the Panthers timed their defensive double teams in the post often to perfection, while following the pass back out to the perimeter with expert rotations against the next three passes. It was textbook at times.

** So this leads us to a look at who should be seen as the Panthers unsung hero this day … Bub Carrington.

** I’m not sure we watched Bub beaten once on defense, while rotating and helping in the paint.

** And while we already know about Ish’s 5 steals, this game gave a better look at Jaland’s improvement on the defensive end.

** I’m not sure I’d call him an unsung hero, but a shout to Guillermo’s toughness in the paint is also in order. We’ve seen him overwhelmed by stronger post men this season, and this wasn’t the case at all today. He was a big time battler in fact.

** Still, allow me to use to GDiaz to frame my second favorite moment of the game which most clearly showed the fine spacing of Coach Capels’ offense when it’s working well. A pass out to GDG left him guarded at the three point line. But 8 feet to GDG’s left was a wide open Blake leaving the defender to make a choice. GDG’s defender went to Blake instead and the G-man drained the wide open three to push the Panther 1st half lead to 12.

** But my favorite moment I watched today was a defensive play from our leading scorer which may have been the biggest play of the game. As Wake was mounting their run, they were posed to make a layup to cut the lead to 6. Instead, Blake came over and helped to block the shot which led to a layup to push the lead back to 10.

** This was the biggest defensive play of Blake’s Pitt career.

** We’ve all seen the impact to the Panther’s collective psyche when Blake cans his first three. But he was equally the leader on the other end too.

** So throwing out metrics, and Kenpom, and Jerry Palm, and Joe Lunardi, we can all feel confident knowing that at the moment, the eye test says this is certainly a NCAA Tournament caliber team.

** In fact, this team who is now 12-3 in their last 15, is clearly to me currently among the top 30 teams in the country. Going 5-10 spots higher than that wouldn’t be exaggeration.

** And whether or not we ultimately end up in the Big Dance, how this team turned around their season has been extremely special to watch and experience.

** So now, I can’t wait to watch tomorrow night. The team we watched play today has a legit chance to take the Tar Heels. And allow me to recommend our focus on that outcome instead of projections of the bracketologists and tournament committee members.

** Congratulations to our Panthers. You have become such an amazing pleasure to watch!

Love your insights as always.

I shared the comment about the request for Pitt history from your kid, with my wife. Now she’s just as big of a fan as we are, but she doesn’t read the Dribbles (or any social media for that matter), but she knows who you are. Her comment was “wait, that little kid we use to see him with at the games is in college?” I had to remind her that we’ve been going to games for a long time.

** Focus Panther Fans! On this wonderful Pitt Hoops day, I ask for our collective focus on the game and the team we watched today.

** For the moment, let’s move past our collective Lunardi induced haze to grasp and appreciate these 40 minutes in the Nation’s Capital, filled with fullest multitudes of toughness.

** Last night, my Kid home from spring break asked me to go through the history of Pitt Basketball during their lifetime and offer my memories of some of the greatest games during that time.

** Today, we all watched a game that could live among them in the lore of Panther fans memories for decades to come.

** Beyond that, we watched a performance by Mr. Ish that could also live among those legendary performances to speak of decades from now.

** We all remember Sam’s 31 against #1 UConn, or DeJuan’s Thabeet-tossing 22 and 23 in Storrs. Maybe you are fond, as am I, of Brandin’s 20 point, 14 assist outing in the Big East Tournament in Miami in 2002. A look back a little further takes us to Jerome’s 29 and 15 in the Dome at the last regular season game of 1988.

** In many ways, one could even put Ish in a class above all of them. This was an individual performance on both ends of the court grounded in a level of toughness above skill among the best I’ve ever seen. It was the performance of Ish’s lifetime on a day when it was needed most by his team.

** How many times did you watch Ish find a way to finish among bigger and stronger men at the basket? How many times did we watch Ish battle for a ball at the glass or to gather a steal on defense? It was nothing short of amazing to watch.

** Still, to look upon only Ish as the only reason for this extraordinarily tough win misses the bigger picture. This was a tremendous team win at the time when contributions were needed from many.

** From the opening tip, we can certainly say our Panthers brought a perfect collective focus, moving and scrapping on defense and on the glass the best we have seen this entire season.

** Against Wake, the Panthers timed their defensive double teams in the post often to perfection, while following the pass back out to the perimeter with expert rotations against the next three passes. It was textbook at times.

** So this leads us to a look at who should be seen as the Panthers unsung hero this day … Bub Carrington.

** I’m not sure we watched Bub beaten once on defense, while rotating and helping in the paint.

** And while we already know about Ish’s 5 steals, this game gave a better look at Jaland’s improvement on the defensive end.

** I’m not sure I’d call him an unsung hero, but a shout to Guillermo’s toughness in the paint is also in order. We’ve seen him overwhelmed by stronger post men this season, and this wasn’t the case at all today. He was a big time battler in fact.

** Still, allow me to use to GDiaz to frame my second favorite moment of the game which most clearly showed the fine spacing of Coach Capels’ offense when it’s working well. A pass out to GDG left him guarded at the three point line. But 8 feet to GDG’s left was a wide open Blake leaving the defender to make a choice. GDG’s defender went to Blake instead and the G-man drained the wide open three to push the Panther 1st half lead to 12.

** But my favorite moment I watched today was a defensive play from our leading scorer which may have been the biggest play of the game. As Wake was mounting their run, they were posed to make a layup to cut the lead to 6. Instead, Blake came over and helped to block the shot which led to a layup to push the lead back to 10.

** We’ve all seen the impact to the Panther’s collective psyche when Blake cans his first three. But he was equally the leader on the other end too.

** So throwing out metrics, and Kenpom, and Jerry Palm, and Joe Lunardi, we can all feel confident knowing that at the moment, the eye test says this is certainly a NCAA Tournament caliber team.

** In fact, this team who is now 12-3 in their last 15, is clearly to me currently among the top 30 teams in the country. Going 5-10 spots higher than that wouldn’t be exaggeration.

** And whether or not we ultimately end up in the Big Dance, how this team turned around their season has been extremely special to watch and experience.

** So now, I can’t wait to watch tomorrow night. The team we watched play today has a legit chance to take the Tar Heels. And allow me to recommend our focus on that outcome instead of projections of the bracketologists and tournament committee members.

** Congratulations to our Panthers. You have become such an amazing pleasure to watch!
Awesome commentary. I thought it was interesting that Bub was out with Hinson in the post-game conference. Although not stated by Capel, Bub's defense was outstanding today. We keep Bub, Lowe, Ish next year, and we have a special team. Heck, I look forward to seeing them win tomorrow too.

Reactions: mo cheeks
I’m not sure I’d call him an unsung hero, but a shout to Guillermo’s toughness in the paint is also in order. We’ve seen him overwhelmed by stronger post men this season, and this wasn’t the case at all today. He was a big time battler in fact.
I agree about the "toughness" he's showing lately. He still get bodied up inside, but he's
fighting like hell in there. There's no quit in him.

Love your insights as always.

I shared the comment about the request for Pitt history from your kid, with my wife. Now she’s just as big of a fan as we are, but she doesn’t read the Dribbles (or any social media for that matter), but she knows who you are. Her comment was “wait, that little kid we use to see him with at the games is in college?” I had to remind her that we’ve been going to games for a long time.
Goes by in a blink, doesn't it?

** Today, we all watched a game that could live among them in the lore of Panther fan memories for decades to come.

DT. Aside from the obvious accolades for Ish, you captured the unsung items that don't show up in box scores always that I did with some friends.

** I’m not sure we watched Bub beaten once on defense, while rotating and helping in the paint

Agree with just about everything you say about today's game, DT, great Dribbles as usual ...... big win for Pitt ...... but I'd like to give a little more mention to Jaland Lowe ....... I understand he wasn't the star of the game but his improvement from game 1 to game 32 this season has been huge to our success ...... his handling of the basketball for a true freshman is amazing ..... he played 39 minutes today, scored 11 points including clutch FT shooting (7-8), had 5 of our 11 assists and only 1 of the teams 11 turnovers, 4 rebounds and his defense has improved a lot over the year and was very good today ....... he has solidified the PG position ......also he has become a pretty consistent player as his performance doesn't vary a great deal from game to game ....... the team started out slowly this season as did Lowe but as Lowe got better so did the team, I don't think that was a coincidence.

DT,

From out west…I think my TV was off, as I thought the first half was a rugby game with no fouls, while the new second half refs (didn’t hear on my TV, who the new refs were) called almost every touch.

Just a great W!

Hail to PITT!
-al-

With their backs up against the wall the Panthers and Mr Ish really came through .

The gains this team has made on the defensive end of the court is remarkable. A shame they just don’t have coaches that know anything !! If they had a little more muscle inside on D this would be as a good as any of the JD teams .

Yesterday I thought when GDG caught the ball he showed no hesitation if he was open to shoot . His offense opens things up .

This is a top 20 team the way they’re playing , unless they’re overwhelmed today I can’t see how they’re not in .

A Panther going for 20 use to be a special night , Blake makes it seem routine . He’s truly having one of the best if not the best seasons I can ever remember a Panther having .

If Pitt beats UNC and goes on to win the ACC tourney how is JC not in serious consideration for national COY .

Last edited:

**Wake should not be allowed to wear those light beige unis as the road team...too hard to differentiate from the white for old folks like me..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT