ADVERTISEMENT

Backyard Brawl Ticket sales

PittGuy00

Scholarship
Jan 24, 2008
According to Pitt Ticket website, there are hundreds of seats still available. Pretty surprising though Friday at 7P is probably not a great time slot. Most seats available are in the upper sections but some are available in the lower baseline/corner. Lowers are listed for $95. Seems way too high to me. Does Pitt expect people to purchase them at that price?

Single game tickets at that prices is asinine

I don’t understand why we do this and leave so many unsold. Just makes for less people at the game/worse atmosphere and less future buyers.

Wouldn’t it make sense to sell the lower levels at say $60 and upper end zones at say $30 and sell out or come close to it?

I don’t understand why we do this and leave so many unsold. Just makes for less people at the game/worse atmosphere and less future buyers.

Wouldn’t it make sense to sell the lower levels at say $60 and upper end zones at say $30 and sell out or come close to it?

They only have 14 lowers left. However, looks like they sold very few uppers. If appears 75% of the upper deck is available. And at the prices of $50, $65, and $80, its easy to see why. I have been saying for years that Pitt prices its tickets too high.

They only have 14 lowers left. However, looks like they sold very few uppers. If appears 75% of the upper deck is available. And at the prices of $50, $65, and $80, its easy to see why. I have been saying for years that Pitt prices its tickets too high.

I just don’t get the reasoning. What do they gain by just eating those seats for Friday?

Just let as many students in that want to go

This is what they should do because the upper deck will be mostly empty. Have the students sit up there.

In contrast, upper deck tickets for Villanova @ Ohio State tonight are $14 and they still cant sell them all. Since Dixon II, ticket prices for Pitt basketball have been outrageously overpriced. Selling an $80 upper deck ticket for a November Pitt/WVU game is insane.

I guess they are hoping Pitt fans spend a couple extra bucks to help the program, and prevent Hoopies from showing up.

Or perhaps they would just rather the seats go empty than have WVU fans in them. If they made the tickets $25-$30 and sold it out with WVU fans, that wouldn't have been a good look either. Surely, they knew no Pitt fans would be buying single game upper deck tickets at those prices.

Sports events are just like golf courses. I've been debating golf course managers for years.

These are fixed cost events. If you have 1 person or 1 million people the same amount of money will be spent to run the sporting event or keep a golf course open for a day.

If PITT lowers the ticket prices, sells out, they add no costs. Without getting deep in the finance weeds that means for the most part its a fixed cost event.

The key is to fill seats, get people on the course or in the case of a sports event in the seats to generate revenue, not to keep pricing high and chase people away.

Just like a golf course get them to the course they buy balls, tee's, apparel, food, drinks, etc. All of which is incremental revenue, contribution margin which offsets the fixed cost of the event.
The same holds for sporting events.

I asked our local golf club GM on a day when the course was near empty how much cost would you add if you had another 200 golfers today. He said Zero. I said your pricing is to high. Lower the greens fee and get them on the course.
The same example holds for a sporting event, concert, and other similar events.

Product quality comes into play when it comes to pricing so if you offer a poor product you're pricing should be lower until product quality improves.

And guess what they might like it and become a return customer.

Last edited:
This is what they should do because the upper deck will be mostly empty. Have the students sit up there.

In contrast, upper deck tickets for Villanova @ Ohio State tonight are $14 and they still cant sell them all. Since Dixon II, ticket prices for Pitt basketball have been outrageously overpriced. Selling an $80 upper deck ticket for a November Pitt/WVU game is insane.

PNC Park ticket prices has gotten everyone spoiled.

I spend hundreds of dollars in donations on top of my season ticket price to sit in 118. If Pitt was selling those seats at a lower price, what does that say to me? why wouldn't i just keep my donations and season tickets and just buy the single games.

credit to Pitt for keeping some value to the tickets in the lower bowl (and elsewhere) and keeping an incentive for people to donate/buy season tickets for good seats. i don't mean to come off as a douche, but there are few marquee games at home and Pitt needs to do this to add value to the season ticket packages.

at a minimum, if you bought a mini ticket plan, you'd get a price break on the single game ticket prices.

According to Pitt Ticket website, there are hundreds of seats still available. Pretty surprising though Friday at 7P is probably not a great time slot. Most seats available are in the upper sections but some are available in the lower baseline/corner. Lowers are listed for $95. Seems way too high to me. Does Pitt expect people to purchase them at that price?

Reactions: Saboteur
I spend hundreds of dollars in donations on top of my season ticket price to sit in 118. If Pitt was selling those seats at a lower price, what does that say to me? why wouldn't i just keep my donations and season tickets and just buy the single games.

credit to Pitt for keeping some value to the tickets in the lower bowl (and elsewhere) and keeping an incentive for people to donate/buy season tickets for good seats. i don't mean to come off as a douche, but there are few marquee games at home and Pitt needs to do this to add value to the season ticket packages.

at a minimum, if you bought a mini ticket plan, you'd get a price break on the single game ticket prices.

That's the main reason they do this. Pitt's ticketing model is designed to sell season tickets above all else, to the point they don't even attempt to sell single game tickets. Season tickets are overpriced and thus, single game tickets are overpriced.

For years, I have said Pitt has some of the most expensive tickets in college basketball and showed evidence of that. They came back to the pack a little bit but are still more expensive than 75% of P5 schools.

These guys must want a senior citizen discount too.

Reactions: GenesPlace
Pitt administration thinks people are just dying to see a team play that has won 3 acc games in two years.

On a semi-related note, they had signs at the bottom of the escalators offering a discount to UPMC employees on season tickets after the SRU and FSU games (I was away for Nicholls St). I think it was 20%. My wife works for UPMC, but I bought my season tickets months ago. It feels like a slap in the face for donating and buying tickets early.

Reactions: Saboteur and Chaos
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT