ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL - 4/2/2016 - PITT pounds #17 Clemson to even series

California Panther

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Pitt hammers #17 Clemson at Clemson 15-5 to even the series at one game apiece, rubber game tomorrow.

Pitt now 13-10, 5-6 in the ACC. Clemson is now 20-7, 6-5 in the ACC.

This is Pitt's 3rd win over a ranked ACC team this year, previously beating #6 at the time UNC on the road and #11 at the time FSU at home.

The victory by Pitt ends Clemson's 13-game home winning streak.

We got some good pitching from Zeuch and Chentouf (in relief) today and some great hitting ...... would be really good if we could pull the game tomorrow out and win the series.

Reactions: PittEngineer12
We got some good pitching from Zeuch and Chentouf (in relief) today and some great hitting ...... would be really good if we could pull the game tomorrow out and win the series.
I watched parts of the game on the Clemson video feed today, we got a lot of clutch 2-out hitting. Wonder when the last time we scored 15 runs on the road against a Top 20 team? Maybe never?

Could a win today and then against PSU start getting us some points in the national polls?

I watched parts of the game on the Clemson video feed today, we got a lot of clutch 2-out hitting. Wonder when the last time we scored 15 runs on the road against a Top 20 team? Maybe never?

Yeah, I watched a lot of the game on that Clemson live video feed and Pitt definitely had some clutch 2 out hitting .... especially Leblanc who was 4-5 with 6 RBI and also some nice hitting by Kowalczyk 2-6 with 4 RBI and Johnson 2-5 with 2 RBI..... I think Pitt had 18 hits...... Zeuch gave up 3 runs in the 1st inning then 2 runs in the next 5 innings and Chentouf pitched 3 scoreless innings in relief .... we still made 2 errors in the field, have to shore up that defense ..... Maldonado did make a really nice catch in RF.

Last edited:
Could a win today and then against PSU start getting us some points in the national polls?

Not sure, maybe some "others receiving votes" but not "top 25" ...... our overall record isn't too good.

Well I was looking at the national ESPN poll and saw coastal Carolina receiving a few votes. They have beat some nice teams I.e., Virginia, Ohio state but have generally beaten the weaker teams as they should to build up their record. We have a few nice wins as well but have to beat these weaker teams on the schedule. I see PSUS and WVU coming up - gotta pull these out.

On a different note, my daughter plays on Pitt's women's Lacrosse club team and they beat #1 Michigan on Friday and will play OSU this morning. Previously had beating #1 Texas in March. We should be in great shape heading into Regionals in two weeks.

Well I was looking at the national ESPN poll and saw coastal Carolina receiving a few votes. They have beat some nice teams I.e., Virginia, Ohio state but have generally beaten the weaker teams as they should to build up their record. We have a few nice wins as well but have to beat these weaker teams on the schedule. I see PSUS and WVU coming up - gotta pull these out.

On a different note, my daughter plays on Pitt's women's Lacrosse club team and they beat #1 Michigan on Friday and will play OSU this morning. Previously had beating #1 Texas in March. We should be in great shape heading into Regionals in two weeks.

GOOD LUCK to your daughter and the Pitt Women's LAX Club team !!

At least a bit of national recognition may help in recruiting.

It would help in recruiting ..... also, Pitt has been better in ACC games since Zeuch came back from his injury and started pitching again ..... he is good enough that Pitt has a chance to beat anyone when he is pitching.

Not sure, maybe some "others receiving votes" but not "top 25" ...... our overall record isn't too good.
Can't believe our baseball RPI was something like 27 the other day. That is quite a feat in itself. Yesterday's win was over the #7 RPI team in Clemson on their own field breaking a 13-game home winning streak, maybe now we're even higher, so despite the record, that RPI might help us gets some votes.

We even got a mention about our "strangely high RPI", which BTW is now 19 after that win. Check out this article where we even got a mention, slide down and you'll see Pittsburgh Power http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/ten-thoughts-saturday-april-2/

Can't believe our baseball RPI was something like 27 the other day. That is quite a feat in itself. Yesterday's win was over the #7 RPI team in Clemson on their own field breaking a 13-game home winning streak, maybe now we're even higher, so despite the record, that RPI might help us gets some votes.

We even got a mention about our "strangely high RPI", which BTW is now 19 after that win. Check out this article where we even got a mention, slide down and you'll see Pittsburgh Power http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/ten-thoughts-saturday-april-2/

I guess if you think about it, we have played a tough schedule so far especially the ACC schedule where we have been playing a lot of highly ranked teams early in the season ..... it would be interesting to see what the RPI rankings are for all the ACC teams.

I guess if you think about it, we have played a tough schedule so far especially the ACC schedule where we have been playing a lot of highly ranked teams early in the season ..... it would be interesting to see what the RPI rankings are for all the ACC teams.
ACC has 4 of the Top 6,
5 of the Top 9,
and 6 of the Top 11 in baseball RPI.
3-Miami
4-FSU
5-UNC
6-UL
9-Clemson
11-Ga T
19-PITT
31-NCSU
40-UVA
70-WF
72-ND
79-BC
81-Duke
193-VT
**SU doesn't play baseball

ACC has 4 of the Top 6,
5 of the Top 9,
and 6 of the Top 11 in baseball RPI.
3-Miami
4-FSU
5-UNC
6-UL
9-Clemson
11-Ga T
19-PITT
31-NCSU
40-UVA
70-WF
72-ND
79-BC
81-Duke
193-VT
**SU doesn't play baseball

Thanks for the info ..... we've played FSU/UNC/Clemson/BC, so a tough schedule so far and I think we are holding our own ..... if we can beat Clemson today and thus win the series, we may open some eyes !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT