• Dion Lewis (09-10)

• James Conner (13-16)

Results are only viewable after voting.

PittSqueak

Scholarship
Dec 1, 2004
Please consider:
1) Skill & ability at Pitt, not in the NFL
2) Skill & ability over production, since so much of production can be tied to the rest of the team (see also: Curtis Martin)
3) How long each was a good-to-great RB, not simply their peak (ex: Conner had 1 amazing season, 1 decent, and 1 as a good platoon -- similarly I left Ray Graham out since he never had a great season)

He's not even listed.

Charles Gladman.

F'ed await his career after his soph yr but dude was best runner I ever saw at Pitt save for the great Tony Dorsett.

Last edited:
Martin probably is #1 but there will never be another shady at Pitt....

Sadly, Brian Davis may have given Shady a run for the money on the first two criteria.

Last edited:
Reactions: paulbl99
Sadly, Brian Davis may have give Shady a run for the money on the first two criteria.
Heard him interviewed a few yrs ago surpringly....

Actually turned out OK and is a supervisor for UPS, believe it was in MD ....married w 3 girls.

Pretty much admitted didn't have the dedication to make big time college FBwork and didn't like school.

Heard him interviewed a few yrs ago surpringly....

Actually turned out OK and is a supervisor for UPS, believe it was in MD ....married w 3 girls.

Pretty much admitted didn't have the dedication to make big time college FBwork and didn't like school.

Lots of people say he was best HS running back they ever saw.
Hands down.

McCoy with JC #2.
If production isn't a priority its pretty easily Curtis Martin. Guy never stayed healthy in college but he was special and it showed with him ending up in Canton. McCoy still has some work to do to get there but to me is number 3. Conner might be 4 but curvin richards was really good college player.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
If production isn't a priority its pretty easily Curtis Martin. Guy never stayed healthy in college but he was special and it showed with him ending up in Canton. McCoy still has some work to do to get there but to me is number 3. Conner might be 4 but curvin richards was really good college player.
The game Martin played against Texas was unbelievable. The biggest question for me is are we talking career production or the baddest cat to play RB?

Not saying he's the answer to the question, but ray Graham deserves mentioning.

Just looked it up, over 1100 yards from scrimmage in 86, better than I thought. 361 receiving yards that year.

And in 87 was a couple yards short of 2,000

Reactions: paulbl99
Shady had the most talent of any player at Pitt the last 30 years other than Fitz. His skill set is at a level we are not accustomed to seeing.

Dion Lewis' 2009 season and Conner's 2014 season were incredible.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
I used to think Curtis Martin but the more I consider it, I think Shady accomplished more with less around him. QB and OL were not as good. Some of those games he was literally all of the offense. He came up huge in big games too ... ND, WVU.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Yeah, was thinking that when the tv crew was slobbering over the penn state backs.

Pitt has had way better running backs. As others said, Gladman, West, Barlow, Richards, McCall, Graham, Bryan Thomas, Stephens-Howling, Adam Walker (was very good before injury), Randy McMillian, Miree, were all very good backs that got NFL time.

In 1985 I believe Pitt had 4 Parade All American running backs: on the roster l

* Charles Gladman
* Zeke Gadson
* AB Brown
* Brian Davis

Since people are just throwing nonsense out there, might I suggest Billy West or Nick Goings....

In reality, nobody, and I mean nobody, does the dead leg as well as Shady. McCoy is a 9 million per year stud.

Barlow deserves to be on the list somewhere. Not the best, but he had some huge games and a good career.

Barlow deserves to be on the list somewhere. Not the best, but he had some huge games and a good career.
Good call. Barlow's 2000 game against WVU at Three Rivers was the second-highest rushing total in school history as I recall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT