ADVERTISEMENT

Best single rivalry in all of sports played again today

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
USA-Canada Women's Hockey. I mean those two teams are on just another level. Another epic Gold Medal game. Another brutal one goal loss. I don't think these teams ever play to more an a single goal differential they are so even.

USA-Canada Women's Hockey. I mean those two teams are on just another level. Another epic Gold Medal game. Another brutal one goal loss. I don't think these teams ever play to more an a single goal differential they are so even.
Us lost?

Rangers/Celtic is so great because of the religious/cultural differences in the same city.

Rangers = protestant/pro-UK
Celtic = Catholic/Scots of Irish descent/pro-Ireland

That's a good point. And there certainly isn't any religious or cultural differences between Jews and Arabs, and Jews and Arabs don't really live in the same cities as each other. Good call.

🤪

That's a good point. And there certainly isn't any religious or cultural differences between Jews and Arabs, and Jews and Arabs don't really live in the same cities as each other. Good call.

🤪
Jews and Arabs dont play each other in sports. That's why I mentioned the religious aspect of the Old Firm derby.

Of course USA and Canada would be among the only countries good at women's hockey. Most countries in the world don't even try to play men's hockey.

Jews and Arabs dont play each other in sports. That's why I mentioned the religious aspect of the Old Firm derby.
Yeah SMF, I’ll defend you. You specific said sports in the OP and I strayed. My bad.

Yeah SMF, I’ll defend you. You specific said sports in the OP and I strayed. My bad.
Don't they some game where they kick a goat's head around. On that note, who in the hell in their right minds would want to be a Muslim? Especially a fundamentalist one in the MidEast?

Don't they some game where they kick a goat's head around. On that note, who in the hell in their right minds would want to be a Muslim? Especially a fundamentalist one in the MidEast?
Dude that’s too deep for me on a day that my club sacked their Manager. I’ll get back to you. Lol.

Rangers/Celtic is so great because of the religious/cultural differences in the same city.

Rangers = protestant/pro-UK
Celtic = Catholic/Scots of Irish descent/pro-Ireland

Celtic Rangers is just beyond anything you see in the US. It's not the type of rivalry you see here where the fans shake hands after the game and agree to be friends. They tried to hold a Rangers Celtic game at Fenway years ago but canceled it. If they hadn't, fans would have come over just to do prohibited chants and stab each other.

I will push back a little on the Catholic Prostestant thing. I doubt Rangers have many Catholic fans because they had a pretty explicit no Catholic player policy for a number of years and have generally been hostile to Catholics.

Celtic have a large Catholic/Irish element but also have a large Protestant following (not surprising in a majority Protestant country) and have always had Protestant players and coaches. For our Celtic Rangers game watch last week, I met a die hard long time Celtic fan from the UK who was Prostestant and thought nothing of it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT