ADVERTISEMENT

Bigger Rival - PSU or WVU

Bigger Rival - PSU or WVU

• Penn State

Votes: 59 52.7%
  • West Virginia

Votes: 53 47.3%

• Total voters
If you are around 50, then it’s still Ped St for most. Pretty much anyone that attended games from the 1950’s to the 1990’s.
im in my late 40s, an absolute ton of meaningful backyard brawls in my memory, very few actual meaningful psu - pitt games.

Of course 2016 which was nice, and the game at Three rivers on 2020. but really, not many more after that. A few in the mid / late 80s but again, i can count on one hand, pitt - psu meaningful games where the backyard brawl was about 5 times that, in my lifetime..

i'll admit, i was too young to remember those Dan marino early 80's games.. if you are 50, you were 8 years old in 1982, 6 in 1980. i dont know too many 6 year olds sitting on the edge of their seats for a meaningful pitt - psu game.

Reactions: ThePanthers
what high stakes games do you speak of? and no, 13-9 does not count because 28 point spread games are never considered "high stakes" going in and akin to 1 foot putts...
Well yes it does. It prevented them from going to a National Title game. Not to mention the Hoopies preventing us from winning the Big East. How many of those PSU games even mattered over 35 years? Don't say 12-0, because those were two mediocre football teams.

I gotta go with WVU. Being from WV myself and a Gen Z’er, WVU has always been the big one. Now for OG Yinzers, I understand if Penn State

This is an absolute horseshit statement. We can rip all day on the quality of a WVU education, but there are plenty of successful WVU folks in “white collar” jobs. I work with quite a few. A lot of them are damn good at what they do.

The person matters a shitload more than the degree.

Of course the skill level of the person matters more than the degree but WVU's problem is that their admission stats regarding SAT score, class rank, and GPA, are as bad or lower than PSAC schools. Those kids can still certainly do well in college and get great jobs but they simply arent going to have the number of successful graduates as a school like Pitt or Penn State. That's part of why I say WVU grads dont work white-collar jobs. Sure, some do, as I am exaggerating but its not as many as you think since WVU grads curiously fill your workplace.

Why ask a question you know the answer to? I don't think you are curious, just bored. I'm guessing 90% here rooted for wvu over penn state a couple weeks ago . There's your answer.
Exactly right and if you didn’t you’re no Pitt fan.

Well yes it does. It prevented them from going to a National Title game. Not to mention the Hoopies preventing us from winning the Big East. How many of those PSU games even mattered over 35 years? Don't say 12-0, because those were two mediocre football teams.
Pitt's win of Penn State in 2016 ultimately prevented them from going into the playoffs for the national title. If they beat Pitt that year, they are in. No doubt about it....seems kind of big to me from a "mattering" standpoint. What say you?... btw, if you don't think any Pitt win over Joepa did not matter (12-0 game or otherwise) you might want to seek help...

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Curious to hear your thoughts. Bigger rival, PSU or WVU?
another solid indication sans silly vote is just look at it in here today...like a graveyard on a Thursday....sure as hell would not be the case with the nits coming to town on Saturday...

PSU has no rival currently and that’s after being in the Big 10 for 30 years. The league tried to manufacture a rivalry with Michigan State but it just didn’t materialize. No real hatred for each other. Ohio State and Michigan is a true rivalry with no room for PSU. Indiana and Purdue is a true rivalry. So is Wisconsin and Minnesota. Maybe PSU could develop a rivalry with Maryland but now that the Big 10 has 18 teams they have some scheduling issues and only a handful of matchups are going to be played every year like Ohio State versus Michigan. I can’t see Penn State starting a rivalry with the west coast schools or Nebraska.

Of course the skill level of the person matters more than the degree but WVU's problem is that their admission stats regarding SAT score, class rank, and GPA, are as bad or lower than PSAC schools. Those kids can still certainly do well in college and get great jobs but they simply arent going to have the number of successful graduates as a school like Pitt or Penn State. That's part of why I say WVU grads dont work white-collar jobs. Sure, some do, as I am exaggerating but its not as many as you think since WVU grads curiously fill your workplace.
Give me break I am the Senior Privacy Official for a USG three letter Agency and an SES 3 level employee... with 2 WVU degrees... my HS GPA has zero to do with my education at WVU or my current job.... my predecessor was a Pitt grad ... her predecessor was an Ivy grad and my current Deputy is an Ivy League grad (Cornell)... I have a Cal grad, a Texas grad, a Notre Dame grad and a Colorado grad who work for me....

Pitt's win of Penn State in 2016 ultimately prevented them from going into the playoffs for the national title. If they beat Pitt that year, they are in. No doubt about it....seems kind of big to me from a "mattering" standpoint. What say you?... btw, if you don't think any Pitt win over Joepa did not matter (12-0 game or otherwise) you might want to seek help...
Is that the first game you think of when Pitt prevented a rival from playing in the National Championship?

Is that the first game you think of when Pitt prevented a rival from playing in the National Championship?
No, is there a point to that question? I thought it was in response to the 13-9 wvu game and the untrue assertion that there was no recent relevance to the PSU games. Pretty self- evident, eh?

Last edited:
I76 kind of does a big 45 degree diagonal through Western PA. I mean New Castle is South of I76, so is Beaver Falls. So is Wexford. I don't think that is WVU country.
Not for nothing - new castle is definitely north of 76
Can confirm that PSU is most Popular with pitt very close .
Cant recall seeing wvu hats or shirts

Give me break I am the Senior Privacy Official for a USG three letter Agency and an SES 3 level employee... with 2 WVU degrees... my HS GPA has zero to do with my education at WVU or my current job.... my predecessor was a Pitt grad ... her predecessor was an Ivy grad and my current Deputy is an Ivy League grad (Cornell)... I have a Cal grad, a Texas grad, a Notre Dame grad and a Colorado grad who work for me....

As I was saying

PSU has no rival currently and that’s after being in the Big 10 for 30 years. The league tried to manufacture a rivalry with Michigan State but it just didn’t materialize. No real hatred for each other. Ohio State and Michigan is a true rivalry with no room for PSU. Indiana and Purdue is a true rivalry. So is Wisconsin and Minnesota. Maybe PSU could develop a rivalry with Maryland but now that the Big 10 has 18 teams they have some scheduling issues and only a handful of matchups are going to be played every year like Ohio State versus Michigan. I can’t see Penn State starting a rivalry with the west coast schools or Nebraska.
They aren't playing Maryland every year. Each school could have selected up to 3 permanent games (at least when ony USC/UCLA were coming in) and State Penn chose no protected game.

Like you say, after 30 years they are still a bit of an outsider in a Midwestern conference. Now there are just a lot more outsiders. The West Coast schools have natural rivalries though. If the Big 10 had added Pitt, that would have been a natural.

I don't know if anything coming close to a rivalry will ever develop between Rutgers -- UMD -- State Penn.

I have a long lived (53 years to be exact) and deeply held hatred of those condescending, arrogant, putrescent PSU bastards. I wish them never-ending failure and ignominy in any and all athletic endeavors.

But - they aren’t our rivals. They don’t deserve that much respect.

WVU is fun to laugh at, fun to play, and has more history. I hate them - but it’s a “F you! No, F YOU” sort of hatred. They’re fun. And we take turns ripping the heart out of each other, year to year. That’s a rivalry.

So, yeah - WVU is our best rival.

Snakes/Hoopies - whatever your generation calls them - let’s whip some Mountaineer @$$ on Saturday!

Reactions: Parkview57
I want pitt to win every game but I want psu to lose every game. Don't care about wvu when they aren't playing us. I actually root for them. So yeah, psu by far

This is being 100% honest. I don't know anyone that would put wvu in the same category as psu. I think this is a ridiculous question. Seriously, who cares about wvu?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT