ADVERTISEMENT

Bizarre BYU recruit

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Out of nowhere, BYU landed a Russian from Real Madrid who is supposed to be a lottery pick next year. NCPitt says foreign kids cant make NIL and I have repeatedly said that they sure can, just not "real NIL" which nobody gets anyway. They can still get pay for play NIL. I wonder if you will start to see a trend of those Euro pros coming to college for a year or 2 before the NBA because they can make more in the NCAA than in college. Could Victor Wembayana made more in college 1 for 1 year than his last year in the French League?

The NIL package this kid wanted was reportedly scaring off most schools. Most don’t turn to Euro recruits until the portal starts to dry up so scarcity coupled with the exotic nature of European kids is resulting in some big numbers

I get it and it's an interesting question. What did Wemby make his last year?
He signed a four year $55.2MM with a 2024 salary of $12.16MM. No one in college hoops is paying that kind of cheese.

The NIL package this kid wanted was reportedly scaring off most schools. Most don’t turn to Euro recruits until the portal starts to dry up so scarcity coupled with the exotic nature of European kids is resulting in some big numbers

Aren't there like a ton of solid players still in the portal? Unless most have committed pretty recently, I guess.

Rumor is 600k for real madrid and 1.4 mil for the recruit. Euro players started coming last year with guys like matas buzelis, keyshawn george, zvonimir ivisic and a few others. For wemby, his metropolitan 92 contract details werent released anywhere that i can find.

Rumor is 600k for real madrid and 1.4 mil for the recruit. Euro players started coming last year with guys like matas buzelis, keyshawn george, zvonimir ivisic and a few others. For wemby, his metropolitan 92 contract details werent released anywhere that i can find.
How did we land Zavackas in the late 90’s?

In the past, those kids would make good money as pros as teenagers in Europe and then declare for the draft. Now, the trend will be to play college ball in the US for a higher salary than they can make in the Europe. I was wondering though, did the NCAA drop that rule that former pros are ineligible to play in college? I mean, clearly, the Delalic kid was a pro. Doesnt mean he was making much. He probably wasnt but he was a pro. So is this Real Madrid kid. Is that still a rule and they just look the other way or did they take that rule out?

How did we land Zavackas in the late 90’s?
Donatus was a high school recruit. He went to high school in Ohio. Same high school as Lebron and Jerome Lane. Also played at a High School in New Jersey.

Reactions: TreesHero
Out of nowhere, BYU landed a Russian from Real Madrid who is supposed to be a lottery pick next year. NCPitt says foreign kids cant make NIL and I have repeatedly said that they sure can, just not "real NIL" which nobody gets anyway. They can still get pay for play NIL. I wonder if you will start to see a trend of those Euro pros coming to college for a year or 2 before the NBA because they can make more in the NCAA than in college. Could Victor Wembayana made more in college 1 for 1 year than his last year in the French League?
Let's be honest, the only reason this thread was created was to use the term "pay for play".

In the past, those kids would make good money as pros as teenagers in Europe and then declare for the draft. Now, the trend will be to play college ball in the US for a higher salary than they can make in the Europe. I was wondering though, did the NCAA drop that rule that former pros are ineligible to play in college? I mean, clearly, the Delalic kid was a pro. Doesnt mean he was making much. He probably wasnt but he was a pro. So is this Real Madrid kid. Is that still a rule and they just look the other way or did they take that rule out?
So then soon, guys could leave or get cut from NBA or G-League and go back to college?

Wemby would never have taken NIL money and deviated from his plan. Everything the kid did was geared towards preparing him for the NBA in the exact manner they wanted.

To be clear, I stated that it is illegal for them to get traditional NIL, not that they can't make it other ways.

$1.5 million. This is definitely not pay for play.

What's funny is a few years back, people on the football board were so sure Jared Wayne couldn't make any NIL because he was Canadien.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT