ADVERTISEMENT

Black athlete at qb

Off the top of my head I would say I prefer Harris as well, but when you look at the numbers it’s not even close. Pat White was a much better passer and runner than Major Harris.
pat white couldnt throw it 7 yards past the line of scrimmage. 95% of his passes were bubble screens..

pat white couldnt throw it 7 yards past the line of scrimmage. 95% of his passes were bubble screens..
Fair enough, but Harris struggled somewhat to even complete those.

Maybe I’m waxing nostalgic as I remember Harris as a dynamic leader and player, but the numbers just aren’t that great. White maybe a slightly better passer but a much better runner.

Im thinking my opinion of Harris was somewhat skewed as he was one of the first guys to really play that type of game.

Amazing when you see those contracts and all those guys (with the exception of Watson so far) took too many hits and saw their production go way down. It’s not the one big hit or devastating injury that knocks these guys out, just an accumulation over time that has them getting injured more and more frequently.

In the end Jackson will realize that he made a mistake turning down that offer.
Actually Murray never was any good, Jackson will never be an elite passer, and imo Wilson was a game manager on a team with an awesome defense.

You would think Jackson made a mistake, but with the way these owners are throwing around money he probably will get a similar offer in the offseason

Fair enough, but Harris struggled somewhat to even complete those.

Maybe I’m waxing nostalgic as I remember Harris as a dynamic leader and player, but the numbers just aren’t that great. White maybe a slightly better passer but a much better runner.

Im thinking my opinion of Harris was somewhat skewed as he was one of the first guys to really play that type of game.
maybe, the numbers were different back then. i remember darnell dickerson being so good passing too and you look up his passing stats and they are cringeworthy. his one year he played all year, he threw for 1600 yards with more interceptions than TDs..

Throwing for 2k yards in the late 80s vs now is night and day

Last edited:
Actually Murray never was any good, Jackson will never be an elite passer, and imo Wilson was a game manager on a team with an awesome defense.

You would think Jackson made a mistake, but with the way these owners are throwing around money he probably will get a similar offer in the offseason
Disagree on Murray, imo his attitude issues rather than talent are a big reason for his regression on the field.

The Ravens have crafted their roster to fit Jackson’s skills and it’s too late for them to change now. I don’t see any other team ready to make that kind of commitment at that level for a guy that is clearly slipping and having increasing trouble staying healthy. In the end I don’t think either he or the Ravens will have much choice other than to stay together.

Reactions: Pitt8189
maybe, the numbers were different back then. i remember darnell dickerson being so good passing too and you look up his passing stats and they are cringeworthy. his one year he played all year, he threw for 1600 yards with more interceptions than TDs..

Throwing for 1k yards in the late 80s vs now is night and day
I felt the same way about Dickerson as well. When his name was brought up on here a while back I looked up his numbers and couldn’t believe how much worse they were than I remembered. Maybe we all just remember the Ohio St game so fondly we forgot the guy literally couldn’t pass at all.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Paul Chryst recruited a black athlete to play qb. He never made it to campus due to domestic violence issues.

Paul Chryst recruited a black athlete to play qb. He never made it to campus due to domestic violence issues.
He never would’ve seen the field at QB for Pitt. Transferred to Akron and was a career 40% passer and eventually converted to WR. Saw him try and play QB a couple times and he literally had no clue where the ball was going when he threw it, he was awful.

Narduzzi needs to stop bringing in statues. Yarnell, Browne, Slovis. Those guys hold you back if they can't process the game at a very high level.
You've got that right. Quarterbacks have to make plays out of structure and that was something they were missing this year and something we can hopefully see with Jurkovec.
Russell Wilson - 5 year contract $242 million
Kyler Murray - 5 year contract $230 million
Deshawn Watson - 5 year contract $230 million

Lamar Jackson turned down a 5 year $250 million dollar offer from Baltimore.

In 2023 this is a non issue. 25 years ago guys like Kordell Stewart had to deal with some serious bs but those days are over.
All of those contracts are looking pretty bad right now.

Reactions: Pitt8189
You've got that right. Quarterbacks have to make plays out of structure and that was something they were missing this year and something we can hopefully see with Jurkovec.

All of those contracts are looking pretty bad right now.
At least Murray and Jackson are home grown guys. The Broncos and Browns both mortgaged their futures to acquire Wilson and Watson, those franchises are screwed for the foreseeable future.

At least Murray and Jackson are home grown guys. The Broncos and Browns both mortgaged their futures to acquire Wilson and Watson, those franchises are screwed for the foreseeable future.
Watson was a risk given his time away. At his age, Wilson's contract was substantial, but you figured he was going to bounce back and make the Broncos a contender. His fall off has been steep and I do hope he bounces back next year.

The Cards seemed to be trending in the right direction, but the contract was a fiasco from the start with the study time clause and now his locker room presence/not getting along with the coach.

Jackson's situation is curious because teams and good, young QBs never get this far along without a long-term contract extension.

He never would’ve seen the field at QB for Pitt. Transferred to Akron and was a career 40% passer and eventually converted to WR. Saw him try and play QB a couple times and he literally had no clue where the ball was going when he threw it, he was awful.
Yeah he was awful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT