ADVERTISEMENT

Black athlete at qb

Brian Brush Fan

Redshirt
Mar 21, 2021
Not to sound like Paul Hornung, but who is the last black qb at Pitt to complete a pass? Greg Cross? Watching Michael Pennix makes me wish Pitt had a player like him.

Not to sound like Paul Hornung, but who is the last black qb at Pitt to complete a pass? Greg Cross? Watching Michael Pennix makes me wish Pitt had a player like him.
189028672-256-k992456.jpg

Reactions: pittdan77
Find the players who give us the best chance to win. I don’t care if they are local, from Fl, from Canada or Alaska. Could give a crap what what their race is. But since it’s important to the OP we have offered several black QB’s for next year including this kid who is trained by former Panther Rod Rutherford…

Pitt has also offered Penn Hills QB Julian Dugger who also happens to be black

Reactions: jctrack
Penix is a pretty good college QB but can be hit or miss at times. Was very streaky at IU, but transferred to a real good spot for his skills at Washington. Kalen DeBoer has done a real nice job there.

OP obviously said QB, so Wayne, Aaron Mathews, etc. don't count.

Anyway, these dual-threat (not going to say "black," because that isn't a prerequisite, believe it or not) quarterbacks always look great to fans of other teams who only see their highlights. But, like pocket passers and anyone else, these guys can also be frustrating.

Were you impressed with D'Eriq King at Miami? I wasn't.

How about Adrian Martinez?

And that dude from Kansas looked pretty good this year... until they started playing some teams with a pulse (not even saying he was their biggest problem).

I'm not saying I want a statue or anything. And if a guy can run AND throw, of course that's ideal. Just saying.... throwing will always be the most important part of the position.

I think you are forgetting about Bill Stull who quietly had a nice career at PITT and helped lead us to one of our better seasons in the past 20 years.
He wasnt black though, that's just how white dudes from dormont look

Im kidding im kidding.. for the record, i live in south hills and hung out with white guys from dormont so im allowed to say that.

OP obviously said QB, so Wayne, Aaron Mathews, etc. don't count.

Anyway, these dual-threat (not going to say "black," because that isn't a prerequisite, believe it or not) quarterbacks always look great to fans of other teams who only see their highlights. But, like pocket passers and anyone else, these guys can also be frustrating.

Were you impressed with D'Eriq King at Miami? I wasn't.

How about Adrian Martinez?

And that dude from Kansas looked pretty good this year... until they started playing some teams with a pulse (not even saying he was their biggest problem).

I'm not saying I want a statue or anything. And if a guy can run AND throw, of course that's ideal. Just saying.... throwing will always be the most important part of the position.
Good defensive coordinators can typically shut down the dual threat QBs. There are some obvious exceptions. Not to stereotype a player but most of these dual threat QBs do not make great reads and receiver progressions.

i've said this a few times but we all want elite dual threat qbs, the vince young, mike vick, RG 3 types. who wouldnt want them. the problem is we cherry pick the elite to say why we want the dual threat but in reality, we'd most likely get an avg dual threat type.

We arent getting Vince Young when we recruit Dual Threat qbs, we are getting Chad Voytik..

Good defensive coordinators can typically shut down the dual threat QBs. There are some obvious exceptions. Not to stereotype a player but most of these dual threat QBs do not make great reads and receiver progressions.

That was probably more true in the past than present day, as it's becoming more of a thing.

I have to imagine running all over the field and getting lit up all day has some effect on throwing performance, though.

i've said this a few times but we all want elite dual threat qbs, the vince young, mike vick, RG 3 types. who wouldnt want them. the problem is we cherry pick the elite to say why we want the dual threat but in reality, we'd most likely get an avg dual threat type.

We arent getting Vince Young when we recruit Dual Threat qbs, we are getting Chad Voytik..

Exactly. Of course we'd take Pat White, Dennis Dixon, etc. But what if we get Garret Schrader?

And I have to think that if we've had a bunch of dual threats over the years the fans would be pining for a pocket passer who can "make all the throws."

I always have said, "I don't necessarily want a Kyler Murray or Pat White at QB, but I want a guy who can make plays with his legs and turn a 3rd and 6 into a 1st down with an 8 yard scramble".

Kenny was that type of QB.

Yeah, I think that's the ideal guy this day and age (well, I guess technically the ideal QB can both run and throw like a Greek God, but you know what I mean). A guy who is always looking to throw first but can certainly take off if he needs to. And who can also extend plays and dodge pocket pressure, etc. Just give me a gamer, like a Max Duggan this year or something.

I always have said, "I don't necessarily want a Kyler Murray or Pat White at QB, but I want a guy who can make plays with his legs and turn a 3rd and 6 into a 1st down with an 8 yard scramble".

I heard Kordell on the radio yesterday and he said that people don’t understand the value of a QB who can role out and tuck the ball away when no one is open and pick up the 7-8 yards. Like Kenny. When a QB does that 3-4 times early, it changes everything a defense does and can open up so much down field.

I heard Kordell on the radio yesterday and he said that people don’t understand the value of a QB who can role out and tuck the ball away when no one is open and pick up the 7-8 yards. Like Kenny. When a QB does that 3-4 times early, it changes everything a defense does and can open up so much down field.
Kordell is really good on those weekly bits on the Fan.

Yep!

Duke QB, Riley Leonard, has that kind of game, too. He nearly beat Pitt, by himself, with his arm and legs.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Why does it matter? When was the last time Pitt's leading scorer in basketball was a white guy? Damn I wish we had a guy like Aaron Gray again! Is that OK? Or is it only OK if you're wishing for a black guy? I'm so sick of the race obsession.

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
Apparently it does, because you never seem to see QBs like Josh Allen or Trevor Lawrence or even Kenny Pickett referred to as "athletes".
Josh Allen especially is as good a running QB as any black QB, even a power runner who can run through people.

Which people is he talking about? All coaches want quarterbacks who are mobile in 2023:

ETA well maybe Narduzzi is stuck in 1970 but he is an outlier

Narduzzi needs to stop bringing in statues. Yarnell, Browne, Slovis. Those guys hold you back if they can't process the game at a very high level.

Russell Wilson - 5 year contract $242 million
Kyler Murray - 5 year contract $230 million
Deshawn Watson - 5 year contract $230 million

Lamar Jackson turned down a 5 year $250 million dollar offer from Baltimore.

In 2023 this is a non issue. 25 years ago guys like Kordell Stewart had to deal with some serious bs but those days are over.

Narduzzi needs to stop bringing in statues. Yarnell, Browne, Slovis. Those guys hold you back if they can't process the game at a very high level.
Add Beville to that list as well, he was literally rooted in place.

Russell Wilson - 5 year contract $242 million
Kyler Murray - 5 year contract $230 million
Deshawn Watson - 5 year contract $230 million

Lamar Jackson turned down a 5 year $250 million dollar offer from Baltimore.

In 2023 this is a non issue. 25 years ago guys like Kordell Stewart had to deal with some serious bs but those days are over.
Amazing when you see those contracts and all those guys (with the exception of Watson so far) took too many hits and saw their production go way down. It’s not the one big hit or devastating injury that knocks these guys out, just an accumulation over time that has them getting injured more and more frequently.

In the end Jackson will realize that he made a mistake turning down that offer.

Exactly. Of course we'd take Pat White, Dennis Dixon, etc. But what if we get Garret Schrader?

And I have to think that if we've had a bunch of dual threats over the years the fans would be pining for a pocket passer who can "make all the throws."
Dennis Dixon was soo good at Oregon, i was soo pissed when he got hurt for us. i can honestly say, i'd want zero parts of Pat White in college, he was an awful thrower. RichRod made it work in that bubble screen U offense where he didnt have to throw it down field but man, just not a good qb..

if im taking a dual threat QB wvu former qb, it's major harris every day of the week.

Dennis Dixon was soo good at Oregon, i was soo pissed when he got hurt for us. i can honestly say, i'd want zero parts of Pat White in college, he was an awful thrower. RichRod made it work in that bubble screen U offense where he didnt have to throw it down field but man, just not a good qb..

if im taking a dual threat QB wvu former qb, it's major harris every day of the week.
Off the top of my head I would say I prefer Harris as well, but when you look at the numbers it’s not even close. Pat White was a much better passer and runner than Major Harris.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT