ADVERTISEMENT

Blake was invisible and that

And he had 27 in December and they lost by 9 at home. Missing FT’s didn’t help.

He didn’t have a shot the last 13 minutes. 4 assists for the team the whole game. Lowe didn’t play the last 4 minutes of the game. The 5’s stunk as usual. Terrible offensive performance overall.

He thought about pulling a deep three near the end, I forget exactly how much time was on the clock. I wish he would have just gone for it. I would have liked his chances as opposed to 3s that say Carrington or Austin shot later.

He thought about pulling a deep three near the end, I forget exactly how much time was on the clock. I wish he would have just gone for it. I would have liked his chances as opposed to 3s that say Carrington or Austin shot later.
Have to either give Clemson a lot of credit or blame Pitt for not doing more to get Hinson any decent looks because there were few if any good 3 opportunities for him the whole game, not even the quick catch n shoot ones. I’ll lean more towards giving the Clemson D some credit.

Not sure why you mentioned Carrington, he’s not a good 3-pt shooter but the two he made down the stretch, on consecutive possessions if I’m remembering correctly, are the only thing that kept us in striking distance at the end.

That was for the tie and I was hoping he was going to pull that. He wasnt having a good night but I'll take a Blake 30 footer for the tie at Clemson over a semi-off balance Carrington 3.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
Maybe he meant FT in the December game when we were 12-22?
Well there is a lot more to it than just citing the overall FT % for the game. Yeah that was good but you can’t discount the misses at critical times when you’re trying to claw back and having a hard time making any baskets. Two misses by GDG and Blake’s miss on the front end of the 1-n-1 really hurt.

Performances like last night and his little stretch in January are why we can’t be infuriated if he doesn’t make first team all-ACC. Still a great player, just a bit inconsistent this year.

It happens though. Sallis for Wake could get the nod over him and he was bad for them last night in their loss to ND. 7 pts and 2/11 from the field.

I mean, I don't really put that loss on Hinson. They devoted quite a bit of their game plan to stopping him. It gave us plenty of other open looks, and we didn't make them.

I can't wait until our guards develop more of a Jamarius Burton mindset and don't worry about being selfish sometimes. It feels as though they're keeping Hinson in the corner of their eye and almost feel guilty if he's not getting an adequate numbers of touches.

We shot 75% from the line for the game and 78.6% in the second half.

Foul shots were not the problem.

Definitely can't argue the overall numbers, but it felt like there was a time when they were costing us. I believe GDG and Hinson both had 0-2 trips to the line, so I'm wondering if we weren't like 7-12 or something before finishing strong.

Well there is a lot more to it than just citing the overall FT % for the game. Yeah that was good but you can’t discount the misses at critical times when you’re trying to claw back and having a hard time making any baskets. Two misses by GDG and Blake’s miss on the front end of the 1-n-1 really hurt.
Missing the front end of a 1-1 is basically a turnover..

Performances like last night and his little stretch in January are why we can’t be infuriated if he doesn’t make first team all-ACC. Still a great player, just a bit inconsistent this year.

It happens though. Sallis for Wake could get the nod over him and he was bad for them last night in their loss to ND. 7 pts and 2/11 from the field.
Great shooter. Not a great player.

Yes I meant the front ends. Not awful as a team, but Hinson needed that front end particularly when he wasn’t giving them much else.

Great shooter. Not a great player.
I get the argument. I think he’s improved his inside game a bit this year from last, but as an all around player he has too many limitations that will likely prevent him from having any NBA career.

Also on the shooting aspect - I am really curious if there is anyone else in the country shooting at least 40% from 3 who can’t hit at least 70% from the FT line. It’s been frustrating.

I mean, I don't really put that loss on Hinson. They devoted quite a bit of their game plan to stopping him. It gave us plenty of other open looks, and we didn't make them.

I can't wait until our guards develop more of a Jamarius Burton mindset and don't worry about being selfish sometimes. It feels as though they're keeping Hinson in the corner of their eye and almost feel guilty if he's not getting an adequate numbers of touches.
Yep. And as they begin scoring, that will pull the defense away from focusing so much on Blake. Then he can get open. Balance is key. Call it Miyagi ball, if you wish. 🙃

Yep. And as they begin scoring, that will pull the defense away from focusing so much on Blake. Then he can get open. Balance is key. Call it Miyagi ball, if you wish. 🙃
Good comments. Its kind of a shame for Blake that the team as currently constructed pretty much lives and dies with his performance. The true frosh are just that and are going to be inconsistent as well as lack the physical strength to compete at a high level in these high stakes games. This has been beaten to death but this is where having a solid big who can score inside would have really complimented Blake. I get that GDG and Fede are limited but its mind boggling that they have developed zero and I mean zero near basket moves. IMO thats coaching or lack of. Not saying they should be putting up big numbers but at least being a reasonable threat to score within 5 feet of the basket would make a huge difference. They often catch the ball in that region and immediately look to kick it back out.

Reactions: BPKY
Good comments. Its kind of a shame for Blake that the team as currently constructed pretty much lives and dies with his performance. The true frosh are just that and are going to be inconsistent as well as lack the physical strength to compete at a high level in these high stakes games. This has been beaten to death but this is where having a solid big who can score inside would have really complimented Blake. I get that GDG and Fede are limited but its mind boggling that they have developed zero and I mean zero near basket moves. IMO thats coaching or lack of. Not saying they should be putting up big numbers but at least being a reasonable threat to score within 5 feet of the basket would make a huge difference. They often catch the ball in that region and immediately look to kick it back out.
I realize they've no beef yet, but at 7 foot why not perfect a quick jump hook shot? I don't understand either, but, sigh, we are not privy to practices.

Definitely can't argue the overall numbers, but it felt like there was a time when they were costing us. I believe GDG and Hinson both had 0-2 trips to the line, so I'm wondering if we weren't like 7-12 or something before finishing strong.

Before Hinson missed the front end of the one and one with 6-1/2 minutes left in the game we were 9-11 from the line. After that Carrington hit both twice in a row, and then split the pair on his third set, and Austin split a pair with 23 seconds left when we were down 6.

4-6 in the first half, 11-14 in the second. On a day when we shot 36% on twos and 28% on threes, making "only" 75% of our ones was not the problem. Not even a little problem, unless someone thinks that you should make them all.

Before Hinson missed the front end of the one and one with 6-1/2 minutes left in the game we were 9-11 from the line. After that Carrington hit both twice in a row, and then split the pair on his third set, and Austin split a pair with 23 seconds left when we were down 6.

4-6 in the first half, 11-14 in the second. On a day when we shot 36% on twos and 28% on threes, making "only" 75% of our ones was not the problem. Not even a little problem, unless someone thinks that you should make them all.
I’d say that the 2 missed dunks were more costly than the missed free throws. Those should be close to 100%.

I’d say that the 2 missed dunks were more costly than the missed free throws. Those should be close to 100%.
Yes, missed dunks and something like 5-for-15 on layups and yet people are focusing on the 75% free throw shooting as our glaring "weakness." Like, if Hinson had just hit the front end of that one-and-one then everything would be different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT