ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Knight enters the portal….

Love him or hate him, or both, he's a true legend.

Seeing what has happened to the game over the past 10 years probably hastened his demise by a decade.

I'll take the game the way it was when Bobby was prowling the sideline at IU over this bag of $hit we have now 110 times out of 100.

Reactions: Panther Holla
I always thought he would be done in by a widow maker heart attack by 60. I had a shop teacher in junior high who looked and acted just like him. One of the greatest teachers that I ever had. He just died a month ago in his mid 80's. Maybe there's something to not putting up with one ounce of crap from anyone and being way over the top about it. It will be very interesting to see how today's feminized men fare over the long term.

The best player that Bobby Knight ever had was Larry Bird and he quit rather than play for that jagoff.

The best player that Bobby Knight ever had was Larry Bird and he quit rather than play for that jagoff.
Do you have any article to support it? I heard he didn’t like the big campus and was home sick was the biggest reason.

Do you have any article to support it? I heard he didn’t like the big campus and was home sick was the biggest reason.
Larry looked up and saw Knight walking toward them. He stiffened and readied himself to speak to his head coach for the first time since arriving on campus. Knight walked toward Bird; Bird said hello-and Knight blew by without saying a word..."Larry was used to people being a lot nicer to him. He didn't like Coach Knight's personality." Knight would later regret treating Bird so coldly. "Larry Bird is one of my great mistakes," he said...

The final straw came in late September when Larry received a bill for sixty dollars to cover the fee for a bowling class...after being made to wait for what felt like a long time, he told assistant coach Bob Weltilch about the bill. Weltlich, in a manner that Larry considered abrupt, told Larry that it was his responsibility. End of meeting.
That was it. Larry immediately went back to his room and asked Georgia if she would come pick him up...Larry headed out to Highway 37 and stuck his thumb in the air. Eventually, a man in a pickup truck pulled over to give him a lift out of town.

RIP - I was always a fan, even if I didn't agree with some of his actions. A genuine guy, no BS, and you knew exactly what he was thinking.
Indeed. Many years ago,I read a book that John Feinstein wrote on Coach Knight. A great read that gives unique insight into the man and his life. I came away with a great appreciation for the man, not just as a coach but, as a person.

Is it normal to punch and choke players? Go after coaches from other teams? Officials? I mean, that's not normal in any era.
Don’t forget administrators and staff in this own athletic department.
Or that the FBI had to get involved after multiple instances of groping women at a security conference that he spoke at.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT