ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl games and a spring football season

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
The idea came to me during the podcast last night and I discussed it there a bit, but I thought I would put it on the board and see what others think.

There has been some talk about a spring football season, maybe February-May or something like that. One big logistical issue, to me, would be bowl games; how do you reschedule those for late May/early June? My thought was, what if you still held the bowl games as planned and made them preseason exhibition games?

Obviously there are a million questions there - a big one being the fact that it has to be safe for people to attend bowl games in December, and before that, it needs to be safe for the teams to practice in November. But if it could happen, would you consider going? I think it would be interesting: you could take all of the bowl-eligible teams from last year and have the bowls and the conferences work out bowl invites so you would fill all the slots.

I actually think people might buy tickets to see their teams play, even in a meaningless preseason exhibition. It would be the first time they could see their teams since the end of last season and they would be playing against another FBS team.

The more I think about it, the more I kind of like this idea. I have no clue if it could actually happen, but it could be pretty cool if they found a way to pull it off. What do you think?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News