ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl games in the future

USAF Phantom

Scholarship
Sep 22, 2016
Here’s the way I see it—the opt out is creating chaos. I understand that the opt out was always there but it seems to becoming more popular. I saw the OSU game trying to win with a 3rd string QB and there was FSU and their defense non existent (not that would have stopped Georgia). With the playoffs going to 12 teams I can envision maybe 30% of the players opting out—the games will remind me of NFL preseason exhibition games. NCAA Football is in a pivotal period—Portal, no sit out when transferring, NIL etc.

Here’s the way I see it—the opt out is creating chaos. I understand that the opt out was always there but it seems to becoming more popular. I saw the OSU game trying to win with a 3rd string QB and there was FSU and their defense non existent (not that would have stopped Georgia). With the playoffs going to 12 teams I can envision maybe 30% of the players opting out—the games will remind me of NFL preseason exhibition games. NCAA Football is in a pivotal period—Portal, no sit out when transferring, NIL etc.

There's no solution as long as people keep watching this crap and they will. Fans hate it, coaches hate it. But we cant stop watching. As I said in an earlier post, 3 million people watched Duke vs Troy. 1.59 million people watch the average NBA regular season game. College football is an addiction in this country.

Like every other sport in the United States, college football will now have an actual playoff where you can qualify by winning all your games if you are a division one team. Even the undefeated group of five teams will make it. The bowl games that aren't playoff games are going to be real (not just glorified) exhibition games next year. That or they can go away. Who cares about them moving forward? If companies want to pay millions to sponsor an exhibition game and teams/players want to play and bettors want to bet more power to them but there is no reason for them to exist.

The bowl games that aren't part of the playoffs are now pointless. Kind of sad but then again some of these games would never select Pitt unless they had no choice. So screw them, especially the Gator. They need to figure out a way to tie players to a program for longer than one year. Like maybe you commit for three years out of high school (unless dropping down a level) and then you can enter the portal and make a two year commitment after those first three years.

There's no solution as long as people keep watching this crap and they will. Fans hate it, coaches hate it. But we cant stop watching. As I said in an earlier post, 3 million people watched Duke vs Troy. 1.59 million people watch the average NBA regular season game. College football is an addiction in this country.
Add to it that even though you might see all of these empty seats in the stadium (Fiesta bowl and the one in Tampa today seemed especially bare) the bowls force the participating schools to purchase the tix and then resell them. So the bowls always make money. The gig that SMF network should do is become a bowl committee official. They travel to posh locations to "brainstorm" have 6-7 figure salaries and really work on autopilot for most of the year.

The bowls games that aren't part of the playoffs are now pointless. They need to figure out a way to tie players to a program for longer than one year. Like maybe you commit for three years out of high school (unless dropping down a level) and then you can enter the portal and make a two year commitment after those first three years.
That requires some type of oversight by the NCAA (never will happen), the conferences themselves (will never happen) or these NIL alliances paying kids to play in the bowl games.

The bowl games that aren't part of the playoffs are now pointless. Kind of sad but then again some of these games would never select Pitt unless they had no choice. So screw them, especially the Gator. They need to figure out a way to tie players to a program for longer than one year. Like maybe you commit for three years out of high school (unless dropping down a level) and then you can enter the portal and make a two year commitment after those first three years.
Nope

They’ll just keep expanding the number of teams

Pop Tart Bowl will be part of the BCS playoff

Just wait folks

Add to it that even though you might see all of these empty seats in the stadium (Fiesta bowl and the one in Tampa today seemed especially bare) the bowls force the participating schools to purchase the tix and then resell them. So the bowls always make money. The gig that SMF network should do is become a bowl committee official. They travel to posh locations to "brainstorm" have 6-7 figure salaries and really work on autopilot for most of the year.

I would love to own a bowl game. Best 10 hour/year for 6 figure job in America.

Reactions: USN_Panther

When real pay for play starts in about 10 years, there will be contracts, so a recruit may sign for 3 years for 100K/year or something like that. No transfer allowed until after year 3.

This is why college football is a complete joke now. No matter who the NC is, it will be illegitimate. Who cares at this point?

This is why college football is a complete joke now. No matter who the NC is, it will be illegitimate. Who cares at this point?
Because players don't play in meaningless bowl games? That is why a 12 team playoff makes sense. It makes more late season games meaningful and it should eliminate useless exhibition bowl games. I'd actually expand it to 16 like the FCS has.

Shorten regular season and expand playoffs to 32 teams. Home games for first round then for next 8 games use the lower bowls like pinstripe, gator, sun, and then for next 6 games (elite 8 and final 4) use the major fiesta, cotton, rose, sugar, orange, peach. NC is then at the highest ranked surviving home teams stadium. That way, no transfers or opt outs for top 32 teams in country.

Because players don't play in meaningless bowl games? That is why a 12 team playoff makes sense. It makes more late season games meaningful and it should eliminate useless exhibition bowl games. I'd actually expand it to 16 like the FCS has.

They're all meaningless. With NIL and these players being professionals now, it's a joke. Who cares about a 12 team playoff? It's still a joke. I don't think I'll be watching too much college football any longer until they get back to sanity and quit paying these players.

How are they doing it next year?

1st Round on campus sites

Quarterinals at Rose, Sugar, Peach, Fiesta

Semifinals at Orange, Cotton

Final somewhere else

I think this is right. Might be wrong on which bowls host which round.

What they need to do is eliminate the bowl tie-ins altogether. Should be 1st 2 rounds on campus then a Final Four at one location

Final somewhere else

What they need to do is eliminate the bowl tie-ins altogether. Should be 1st 2 rounds on campus then a Final Four at one location
Keep in mind top 4 I believe get a bye

Final somewhere else

Yeah, I think anything other that the top 6 bowls will never host playoff game. More expanded teams will result in more home sites. And it will essentially be a bunch of SEC and Big Ten teams, and a couple of others.

Keep in mind top 4 I believe get a bye

Right so the Top 4 get a bye to a quarterfinal bowl game. I think the the Top 4 seeds have to be conference champs which is stupid. You could have like 10-3 Kansas State and 11-2 Cryinoles as the 3 and 4 seeds next year

Right so the Top 4 get a bye to a quarterfinal bowl game. I think the the Top 4 seeds have to be conference champs which is stupid. You could have like 10-3 Kansas State and 11-2 Cryinoles as the 3 and 4 seeds next year
Is that a bad thing? What is wrong with a 10-3 Kansas state playing for a national title? That is exactly how all sports in the United States work.

Is that a bad thing? What is wrong with a 10-3 Kansas state playing for a national title? That is exactly how all sports in the United States work.

They shouldn't get a bye and a 4 seed. They should be like the 11 seed and playing at 6 10-2 Tennessee

They're all meaningless. With NIL and these players being professionals now, it's a joke. Who cares about a 12 team playoff? It's still a joke. I don't think I'll be watching too much college football any longer until they get back to sanity and quit paying these players.
Do you not watch any other sport? They all pay the players.

They shouldn't get a bye and a 4 seed. They should be like the 11 seed and playing at 6 10-2 Tennessee
I don't disagree with that. The system is still flawed because people refuse to let college football function like all other professional sports.

The counter argument is that if you want to get paid an extra $40M per team like the BIG and SEC will (and have boosters with bigger NIL pockets) then you get penalized in the playoff. It is still better than the current system. Because you have every other advantage, you get penalized a bit by having to play at the lesser team's stadium. You should still win with all the additional resources.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Shorten regular season and expand playoffs to 32 teams. Home games for first round then for next 8 games use the lower bowls like pinstripe, gator, sun, and then for next 6 games (elite 8 and final 4) use the major fiesta, cotton, rose, sugar, orange, peach. NC is then at the highest ranked surviving home teams stadium. That way, no transfers or opt outs for top 32 teams in country.
That would be horrible and put many athletic departments so far into the red they would not be able to continue. Like it or not, football pays the bills and they need the regular season games (those who do not make it into the top 32). Second, not many fan bases will be able to travel to three consecutive bowl games as part of a playoff, especially northern and western teams. The playoff bowl games would be largely empty in that scenario.

That would be horrible and put many athletic departments so far into the red they would not be able to continue. Like it or not, football pays the bills and they need the regular season games (those who do not make it into the top 32). Second, not many fan bases will be able to travel to three consecutive bowl games as part of a playoff, especially northern and western teams. The playoff bowl games would be largely empty in that scenario.
You could still split the money like they do for bowl games. It would only shorten the regular season by 2 games vs the current set up. You could also have an NIT like tournament to supplement the revenue for the other 32ish teams that don't make it. It isn't like Pitt being a 4 seed in the NIT equivalent would draw less than the BC game this year which would have been a 4 vs. 5 game in the future NIT tournament.

I do agree that they shouldn't have anything prior to the final four on a neutral site. Play the rounds of 32, 16 & 8 at the higher seed.

Reactions: Burgh15
I do agree that they shouldn't have anything prior to the final four on a neutral site. Play the rounds of 32, 16 & 8 at the higher seed.
I'd go even further and say no neutral site until the championship game.

I'd go even further and say no neutral site until the championship game.

The bowl officials pay too many bribes to keep their games a part of this. The idea of winning the Rose Bowl to go play in the Peach Bowl to advance to the championship game in Vegas is stupid. Should be home field until the Final 4. Final Four.

1st Round should be Dec 21 at home sites
Quarterfinals should be Dec 28 at home sites
Jan 1 you can still have Orange, Cotton, Rose, and Sugar between teams who don't make it
Jan 4-11 Final Four all at one venue. Games at 1PM and 8PM on Jan 4

If the bowls are worried about the empty seat look on TV then the bowl in question should offer the players a cut of the TV money to not opt out. The opt outs have become the story in college ball.

If the bowls are worried about the empty seat look on TV then the bowl in question should offer the players a cut of the TV money to not opt out. The opt outs have become the story in college ball.

They are not worried at all about how it looks on TV. The ESPN check still cashes and they forced both teams to buy up a bunch of tickets at high prices and those teams couldn't give them away

Reactions: cashisking884
Dont give Heather any ideas because she would gladly schedule 2 losses with say, Florida with our home game being played in Auckland.
If this happens, it will be glorious. My property in Southland will be like Woodstock. I will quit my job and brew beer continuously until the game. We will all tailgate the entire week. Then we will conduct a dual aerial and amphibious assault on Eden Park via charter aircraft and yachts. I will lead this all as a cult leader, and prior US Naval Officer.

Reactions: ratking17
The bowl officials pay too many bribes to keep their games a part of this. The idea of winning the Rose Bowl to go play in the Peach Bowl to advance to the championship game in Vegas is stupid. Should be home field until the Final 4. Final Four.

1st Round should be Dec 21 at home sites
Quarterfinals should be Dec 28 at home sites
Jan 1 you can still have Orange, Cotton, Rose, and Sugar between teams who don't make it
Jan 4-11 Final Four all at one venue. Games at 1PM and 8PM on Jan 4
The ratings will tank if those Jan. 1 bowls are non-playoff games, the NFL might move in and run a slate of games similar to what they ran on Xmas. No one wants to watch an Iowa vs. Oregon State exhibition game, no matter what stadium it's in and what parade is before it.

The ratings next year for the triple header of playoff games on NYD is going to be huge.

Last edited:
The ratings will tank if those Jan. 1 bowls are non-playoff games, the NFL might move in and run a slate of games similar to what they ran on Xmas. No one wants to watch an Iowa vs. Oregon State exhibition game, no matter what stadium it's in and what parade is before it.

The ratings next year for the triple header of playoff games on NYD is going to be huge.

#13 Iowa vs #14 Oregon State in a Jan 1 Rose Bowl will certainly be lower than 1 Mich vs 4 Bama in a CFP game but its still going to get several million viewers. Its tradition and there's nothing else on. No, the NFL isnt going to play a midweek game on Jan 1. They already play on Sun, Jan 1. Maybe they take over Sat, Jan 1 or Mon, Jan 1 but so what. I have no allegiance to bowl games and neither should the Power 4 conferences who run the CFP. If the Rose Bowl cannot pay its bills hosting 2 Top 20ish teams, it can go away for all I care.

#13 Iowa vs #14 Oregon State in a Jan 1 Rose Bowl will certainly be lower than 1 Mich vs 4 Bama in a CFP game but its still going to get several million viewers. Its tradition and there's nothing else on. No, the NFL isnt going to play a midweek game on Jan 1. They already play on Sun, Jan 1. Maybe they take over Sat, Jan 1 or Mon, Jan 1 but so what. I have no allegiance to bowl games and neither should the Power 4 conferences who run the CFP. If the Rose Bowl cannot pay its bills hosting 2 Top 20ish teams, it can go away for all I care.
Good points-but what if say a 2 top five teams end up with a 30% opt out group

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT