ADVERTISEMENT

Break out player candidates

Usuallyunusual

Scholarship
Aug 30, 2018
I realize pickings are slim around this time of year for football message boards so I figured I bring up a topic I've been pondering. If you could only pick one offensive and one defensive candidate to have a breakout year next fall who would they be and why? At this point I should mention I personally think anyone is a potential candidate because I wouldn't consider anyone currently on the roster as already having one. I'm particularly interested in the why more than the who on this one so I hope someone can think of some good rationale behind their selection.

Reactions: Goldenpanthers
I'm on record here picking Cam Bright (Defense) and Todd Sibley (Offense) as my breakout players. If I have to choose only one, then I'll say Cam Bright because he is going to get his opportunity sooner in the season than Todd will.

Reactions: Usuallyunusual
Offense - Pickett, I think he's better than he showed last year and Whipple will be a big help getting the most out of his ability.

Defense - Weaver, he's gotten better each year and showed he could dominate at certain times last year. I think he puts together a big year.

More wishful than anything. But...

Offense: Pickett at quarterback. We'll never truly have a real QB competition, Narduzzi loves him too much. So he'll start. I choose to push the enormous doubts on him back down my gullet, and predict that the whole problem was really Watson after all, and Whipple will be able to tap into the potential we saw in the 2017 Miami game (and not the 2018 Miami game).

Defense: Pine. I think there is still potential there. Maybe I just want to believe, like above.

Fantasy (as if the first two aren't): Paris Ford ... as H-back. :D

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

Offense: Pickett at quarterback. We'll never truly have a real QB competition, Narduzzi loves him too much. So he'll start. I choose to push the enormous doubts on him back down my gullet, and predict that the whole problem was really Watson after all, and Whipple will be able to tap into the potential we saw in the 2017 Miami game (and not the 2018 Miami game).

Defense: Pine. I think there is still potential there. Maybe I just want to believe, like above.

Wishful is good. Pine performing as a breakout somewhere (DE or OLB) would help this team a lot. I'm not sure I see it though.

I'm on record here picking Cam Bright (Defense) and Todd Sibley (Offense) as my breakout players. If I have to choose only one, then I'll say Cam Bright because he is going to get his opportunity sooner in the season than Todd will.
Well you actually can pick one offense and one defense. I'm curious why Sibley especially coming off the injury. I'm not disagreeing just wondering what makes you feel that way? Cam is a great pick on defense. I didn't even think of him.

Good picks. I honestly think the truth about Pickett lies somewhere between Watson, inexperience, and poor pass blocking last year. Hope your right about him.

Well you actually can pick one offense and one defense. I'm curious why Sibley especially coming off the injury. I'm not disagreeing just wondering what makes you feel that way? Cam is a great pick on defense. I didn't even think of him.
1. Can run between the tackles.
2. Runs low to the ground, not offering much of a target to hit.
3. Strong, can bounce off tacklers, high yards after contact.
4. Deceptive speed.
5. Impeccable intangibles - positive attitude, takes nothing for granted, appreciates teammates, 2-time State Champion.

On defense, I’m thinking a breakout season by Patrick Jones. Hopefully he played enough last season to learn to keep himself under control better and minimize the penalties. Like his size, energy, and nasty attitude though...

Honorable mention on defense goes to Jaylen Twyman. Looks like a beast. Great body for a defensive tackle. Has some experience now. Will be disruptive.

On offense, I go with Aaron Mathews. Has the size and can be coached to run crisp routes now that we have a new WR Coach. Looked good on slants the few times we tried them. Whipple/Beatty should be able to find a way to take advantage of his height.

Honorable mention to Shocky Jacques Louis. Again, I expect the new coaches to make good use of his excellent speed. Shocky was quite raw as a freshman, but he has tools and now he knows better what to expect...

Go Pitt.

I actually like Pinnock for defense. I think our scheme highlights his talents perfectly. Thought he played as good as anyone down the stretch.

Reactions: FireballZ
Maurice French is the best player on the roster. Need to find creative ways to get him the ball. Without some explosive plays the offense will not move forward.

Ffrench is really good but my pick for best player would be Dane Jackson.

My picks

Pickett on offense... he was a good QB playing in a garbage offense / OC.

Jason Pinnock on Defense... he is a great player with size and ability to be a shut down CB.

1. Can run between the tackles.
2. Runs low to the ground, not offering much of a target to hit.
3. Strong, can bounce off tacklers, high yards after contact.
4. Deceptive speed.
5. Impeccable intangibles - positive attitude, takes nothing for granted, appreciates teammates, 2-time State Champion.
I had big hopes for Sibley as well, hopefully he has the chance to live up

Reactions: HOF Coach
I had big hopes for Sibley as well, hopefully he has the chance to live up
I know, right?

It should be noted that I am assuming that he is fully recovered from his injury when I picked him as my breakout choice. His tweets lead me to believe that he is.

I love seeing all the picks of Pickett. I hope you are all right....but me? I wouldn't put much of a wager on him.

My picks:
Offense = Salahuddin. I think Davis is terrible and Sibley can't stay healthy.
Defense = Jones. Was in the backfield all year, but made stupid penalties, or let tackles slip through his hands.

I really think Mathis is gonna step up next year and lock down the spot opposite of Jackson next year also. He's like a blanket out there on the plays I pay attention to him.

My pick is Carter on offense. Watson's inability to use his talents border on being almost criminal last season. Whipple will find a way to get the ball into his hands as often as possible IMO.---On defense Patrick Jones has the potential to be a big time impact player.

The running back situation is very interesting, I hope one of them has a huge break-out, got to agree that Davis hasn't looked the part, but I recall not being too impressed early on with D. Hall, and now I think he could be a great UFA for someone in the league.

The problem with picking Mack or any other receiver is that you desperately need Pickett to be a breakout guy first. My picking him was more wishful as i definitely said. If Pickett doesn't, Mack will likely not be on the radar either. We'll revisit this thread in Dec and say the breakout guy was Salahuddin or Sibley ... only because they might have gotten a lot of yards, but like this past season, it'll mainly be due to having no passing game again. :(

The problem with picking Mack or any other receiver is that you desperately need Pickett to be a breakout guy first. My picking him was more wishful as i definitely said. If Pickett doesn't, Mack will likely not be on the radar either. We'll revisit this thread in Dec and say the breakout guy was Salahuddin or Sibley ... only because they might have gotten a lot of yards, but like this past season, it'll mainly be due to having no passing game again. :(
There will be a passing game with Whipple in charge of the O. But Pickett may not be leading the charge on that front if he don't improve dramatically over the coming next 6 months.

I will go with Pickett. Was at aPitt gathering last week and spoke to someone close to the football team. He stated Pickett is/was much better than he showed last year. He said a big problem was OC who just did not use Pikett’s sthrengths ie. there were no screen passes in the playbook because the OC “did not know screen passes”. He said Pikett should do much better this year with new OC.

I will go with Pickett. Was at aPitt gathering last week and spoke to someone close to the football team. He stated Pickett is/was much better than he showed last year. He said a big problem was OC who just did not use Pikett’s sthrengths ie. there were no screen passes in the playbook because the OC “did not know screen passes”. He said Pikett should do much better this year with new OC.

I'm somewhere between, Pickett isn't really that good of a QB or Narduzzi isn't really that good of a HC. If what you're saying is true, there should have been changes sooner than there were.

I'm somewhere between, Pickett isn't really that good of a QB or Narduzzi isn't really that good of a HC. If what you're saying is true, there should have been changes sooner than there were.
Yea I think Duzz is loyal to a fault and to be honest with you I've been saying for a few years the wr coach sucks can't develop talent and needed to go. He waited waaay to long to can him. Players forced his hand with impending transfers if changes weren't made.

I love seeing all the picks of Pickett. I hope you are all right....but me? I wouldn't put much of a wager on him.

My picks:
Offense = Salahuddin. I think Davis is terrible and Sibley can't stay healthy.
Defense = Jones. Was in the backfield all year, but made stupid penalties, or let tackles slip through his hands.

I really think Mathis is gonna step up next year and lock down the spot opposite of Jackson next year also. He's like a blanket out there on the plays I pay attention to him.
Gotta agree with the bigbird. Not sure pickett is the answer, inconsistant with the deep ball, misses open receivers with some regularity and waits too long to get rid of ball. Whipple can help some with that with some timing passes and hitting receivers on the break. I think the other 2 qbs are more accurate with the deep ball and field vision but dont see either getting any pt this year.

At running back, Vincent has got my attention. Reminds mr somewhat of Dion Lewis but dont see him losing a red shirt with the backs in front of him. My pick is Salahuddin because of his combo of speed and power but I could say the same for Sibley.

On defense my breakout player is Jones. Weaver is my guy but I dont consider him a breakout player.

Pickett - we need a breakout QB
Mack- the breakout QB needs someone to throw to who can catch
Sibley- the guy who can catch the breakout QB's passes needs a star RB to loosen up the game passing game. PITT needs an exciting RB who will bust some long runs and long runs for TD's

Jeff George. Has more poise and composure in the pocket than Kenny and has a cannon. More of a pocket passer, if the new OC decides against using the spread I could see Jeff George getting the job and slinging the ball all over the field

There is a lot of reasoning that Watson was the reason for the struggles of the passing game last year, and thus addition by subtraction, the real Pickett will stand up this fall.

I'm sure Watson didn't help, but my concern is that a lot of the time it just didn't look like Pickett saw the field that well or was slow in doing so. Porous pass blocking was a big factor as he was sometimes forced to pulled it down to run for a short gain or take a sack. But there were too many times that he was late on throws when he did get a receiver open. The GT game stands out as there were a couple of deep balls that would have been TDs had he gotten it out faster. Once was the pick when the TE got mugged.

Reactions: docden
There is a lot of reasoning that Watson was the reason for the struggles of the passing game last year, and thus addition by subtraction, the real Pickett will stand up this fall.

I'm sure Watson didn't help, but my concern is that a lot of the time it just didn't look like Pickett saw the field that well or was slow in doing so. Porous pass blocking was a big factor as he was sometimes forced to pulled it down to run for a short gain or take a sack. But there were too many times that he was late on throws when he did get a receiver open. The GT game stands out as there were a couple of deep balls that would have been TDs had he gotten it out faster. Once was the pick when the TE got mugged.
Indeed. It's mostly all wishful thinking for all who picked him, including me. Because short of injury I don't see Duz ever letting him leave the field, so we need him to do even just ok.

Reactions: Usuallyunusual
Jeff George. Has more poise and composure in the pocket than Kenny and has a cannon. More of a pocket passer, if the new OC decides against using the spread I could see Jeff George getting the job and slinging the ball all over the field

You must not have watched him play at Illinois.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT