ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING NEWS: Tony Bennett retiring

Let's call a spade a spade here. Ski doesn't like Bennett because he's a man of faith.

There are some very insightful thoughts from Bennett in this article. This was clearly not a decision made on a whim.

CBS SPORTS
lol. Don’t hurt yourself reaching there. Had no clue about Bennett’s religious beliefs.

I think he’s going out like a baby. Ain’t deeper than that.

None of the older established coaches signed up for the current state of D1 athletics , and it’s understandable if some of them are having a difficult time with it . These guys have been paid handsomely and are all multimillionaires , why go to work in an environment that you can’t stomach ?

His timing sucks unless he wanted his assistant to be guaranteed the job .

Ps …. It’s ok if coaches make millions and can walk out on guaranteed contracts guess it’s not ok for the players to maximize their financial potential.

Reactions: TD_6082
lol. Don’t hurt yourself reaching there. Had no clue about Bennett’s religious beliefs.

I think he’s going out like a baby. Ain’t deeper than that.

I mean the guy doesn't want to be a pro basketball coach. He likes college basketball. That sport doesn't exist anymore. What's wrong with that?

I mean the guy doesn't want to be a pro basketball coach. He likes college basketball. That sport doesn't exist anymore. What's wrong with that?
Don’t quit a week before the season.

Frankly, I find all these coaches whining about NIL and quitting to be babies. You make millions off the backs of unpaid labor. You yourself can leave and take a new job whenever you want. But the minute your players get a little agency it becomes oh so hard.

He’s a chump.

It sounds from what he said that he has been disgusted with the state of college basketball for a while. He let this known last Fall and at other times, I'm sure. He knows that college basketball is now just a semi-pro league for players who think they can make it to the NBA while getting paid to play for a college team and taking courses like Underwater Lesbian Basket Weaving. This is what is left of college basketball and he didn't like it. He had enough and I don't blame him.

Don't take it for granted that this came out of the blue. Yes, he signed a contract extension. But contracts in college sports aren't worth the paper they're written on. We know that. He did what he felt was best for his family and was honest with himself. He's probably the last of a dying breed: a real college coach. He liked the college game. It's gone now and he didn't see a reason to stick around for the debacle that is college basketball now.

• Haha
Reactions: Ski11585
Don’t quit a week before the season.

Frankly, I find all these coaches whining about NIL and quitting to be babies. You make millions off the backs of unpaid labor. You yourself can leave and take a new job whenever you want. But the minute your players get a little agency it becomes oh so hard.

He’s a chump.

So you like the way things currently are with NIL & transfer rules?

From a UVA perspective, given the current transfer rules, his timing is exactly what is in the best interest of the program. If he had waited until the end of the season, things would probably have gotten really chaotic almost immediately after announcing.

From a UVA perspective, given the current transfer rules, his timing is exactly what is in the best interest of the program. If he had waited until the end of the season, things would probably have gotten really chaotic almost immediately after announcing.

Good point. Because it's not like he would have been allowed to tell his employer that he was going to leave at the end of the season well ahead of time so they would have time to start lining up a replacement before this season even ended.

I think that would have clearly been some kind of NCAA violation.

Good point. Because it's not like he would have been allowed to tell his employer that he was going to leave at the end of the season well ahead of time so they would have time to start lining up a replacement before this season even ended.

I think that would have clearly been some kind of NCAA violation.

No. The biggest concern is a mass player exodus. They would be much more apt to jump in the portal now as opposed to after the season. And Sanchez was very influential in getting most of the current roster to Charlottesville.

If his former employer wants to find someone other than Ron Sanchez to lead the program today, there is nothing stopping them.

No. The biggest concern is a mass player exodus. They would be much more apt to jump in the portal now as opposed to after the season. And Sanchez was very influential in getting most of the current roster to Charlottesville.

If his former employer wants to find someone other than Ron Sanchez to lead the program today, there is nothing stopping them.

If they wanted to play this season they couldn't leave now. And in any event they would be much more likely to stick around and play if their head coach didn't bail out on them. Obviously.

Exactly. They can't leave now. That's why it's better for Tony to leave now than at the end of the season. Same reason football coaches wait until after signing day to make many of their staff changes.

Exactly. They can't leave now. That's why it's better for Tony to leave now than at the end of the season. Same reason football coaches wait until after signing day to make many of their staff changes.

I mean if you goal is to screw over the players you could look at it that way. I just can't imagine why someone would cheer on something like that. But you do you.

Speaking of Virginia.

They got blown right out of the gym today by VCU. Team still can't score and lost by 22 points. They wont be stealing anyone's bid this year

Speaking of Virginia.

They got blown right out of the gym today by VCU. Team still can't score and lost by 22 points. They wont be stealing anyone's bid this year

Because we all know a roster full of newcomers should gel by October 20th.
Not to mention, 3 guards didn't even play, including McKneely.

You can't steal a bid. You're either invited or your not.

Last edited:
Tony made his decision. Players actually do have an open 30 day window and are free to transfer now if they want to.

Yes, he decided to screw over his players. His players can transfer but they cannot play.

For some reason, you applaud him screwing over the players. It's a really odd phenomena when people stick up for the millionaires when they screw over the regular people, and yet people do it all the time.

Speaking of Virginia.

Horrible horrible team to watch play basketball. Bennett is a magician to win games and steal Pitt's bid with a bunch of YMCA dudes.

Yes, he decided to screw over his players. His players can transfer but they cannot play.

For some reason, you applaud him screwing over the players. It's a really odd phenomena when people stick up for the millionaires when they screw over the regular people, and yet people do it all the time.
Specifically, how is he screwing over the players? Their NLI was signed with UVA. Their NIL money is still going to be paid.
There's nothing to stick up for because he did nothing wrong. People are free to quit their job whenever they feel like it.

Specifically, how is he screwing over the players? Their NLI was signed with UVA. Their NIL money is still going to be paid.
There's nothing to stick up for because he did nothing wrong. People are free to quit their job whenever they feel like it.

You know, you may just be dumb enough to not understand this.

It's almost as if you believe the old NCAA line of BS that players sign with schools, not with coaches. That those players would go to those schools even if you or I were the head coach there. It's so ridiculous that I didn't think that anyone ever believed that. But we may have found the one.

Eh. Yes and no. I don’t like that the NCAA has passed the buck and forced fans to pony up money. I think players should be recognized as employees and they should collectively bargain.

But broadly speaking, I am 100% pro paying players and pro player movement.

A
You know, you may just be dumb enough to not understand this.

It's almost as if you believe the old NCAA line of BS that players sign with schools, not with coaches. That those players would go to those schools even if you or I were the head coach there. It's so ridiculous that I didn't think that anyone ever believed that. But we may have found the one.
Again, you speak of things of which you know nothing about. But if you believe the players signed with UVA because of Tony Bennett, and Tony Bennett feels he isn't up to the job, I assume you think playing for his hand-picked successor who recruited the bulk of this year's team to Virginia is the next best thing. Sanchez was the point man recruiting this past year's portal class. He was personally assuring recruits that UVA was going to push temporary more because he was taking over the reigns of the offense.

I believe most recruiting is transactional today. Best offers will usually get the player.

Coming from you, that's rich.
You seem to have more insight on how UVA's players feel about the change than most that cover the program.

If a coach obviously isn't up to the job, doesn't wat to be there and just hang on, you say they are stealing a paycheck. If they actually get out of the game, you say they quit on their team. Very strange, imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT