ADVERTISEMENT

Brett McMurphy’ Bowl Predictions

He predicts…. The Cheez-It Bowl for Pitt against Kansas State…

THE CHEEZ-IT BOWL?!?!?!
Even though it's a cheesy sponsor, it's still a good bowl due to the location(Orlando) and game date(December 29).

If Pitt doesn't win the conference they'll be shipped off to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego, the Cheez-IT & Gator will want southern schools and the ACC schools from the old Confederacy don't want to goto California.

Even though it's a cheesy sponsor, it's still a good bowl due to the location(Orlando) and game date(December 29).

If Pitt doesn't win the conference they'll be shipped off to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego, the Cheez-IT & Gator will want southern schools and the ACC schools from the old Confederacy don't want to goto California.

Correct. Pitt will never be selected for a southern bowl game over a southern team. Its either NY6, San Diego, El Paso, or NYC. If Pitt doesn't win the ACC, Clem, NC State, UNC, UVa, or Miami will be going to the bowl games in Orlando, Jacksonville, and Charlotte.

Don’t we have to win out and finish higher than wake to get it,if we win out but wake is ranked higher than us they get it correct?

Don’t we have to win out and finish higher than wake to get it,if we win out but wake is ranked higher than us they get it correct?
ACCCG winner will be higher ranked. Pitt needs to beat:
UVA
SU
-then-
ACCCG opponent (still TBD: could be WF;NCSU or Clemson)

Right now they peg wake as the team to beat In The acc since they are technically undefeated in conference . The unc loss was non conference .
Sure. And that makes sense since WF only has 1 loss and they’re ranked higher in the polls.

Of course, that’s RIGHT NOW. WF has to play @Clemson and @BC.

The pundits have an obligation to provide these guesses weekly. But all that will matter is what happens when the games are actually played.

Reactions: WishfulPanther
But the big follow up question is what bowl is Pickett willing to play in.. is it ny6 or nothing?
LOADS of players will have similar decisions to make. Like Clifford of the nits, for ex. Because they’re already locked in to a completely meaningless bowl.

Brent's rankings and bowl projections have been awful this year. his strength is announcing them once they are official. for one, PSU to the Outback ain't happening. probably Vegas.

the guy to follow is that yellow pad dude from RDU once it gets closer. Joe Giglio I think?

If a 10-3 Pitt team loses in the conference championship, the ACC may go to bat for us and try to convince the Gator Bowl to take us. That's what they did in 2018, when the Sun Bowl didn't really want us.

Now, if Clemson and/or NC State is/are 9-3, they might not hold very much persuasion. But if Pitt is 10-3 and those schools are both 8-4, perhaps they can sway the pendulum.

If we go into the ACC-CG at 10-2 and ranked #15, then lose and don’t get the Gator Bowl….then we might as well quit trying to be a top 25 program. Part of building a program is playing in big bowl games. Obviously CFP and NY6 are the targets, but it’s tough to regularly Winn the conference. If the best we can do in a very good season is the Cheezit Bowl because of politics , then we’ll never get anywhere.

Which of the NY six bowls picks last? That's where Pitt or WF will play unless Cincy loses a game and still qualifies.

If we go into the ACC-CG at 10-2 and ranked #15, then lose and don’t get the Gator Bowl….then we might as well quit trying to be a top 25 program. Part of building a program is playing in big bowl games. Obviously CFP and NY6 are the targets, but it’s tough to regularly Winn the conference. If the best we can do in a very good season is the Cheezit Bowl because of politics , then we’ll never get anywhere.
Isn't the Cheez-It's Bowl better or equal to the Gator? Sure the Gator has a longer history but Jacksonville is a crappy city to visit and it's not even beach weather if you plan on staying further down the coast.

The names of the bowls are meaningless, what matters is the location and when the game is played, while the Gator has a December 31st date the location sucks compared to Orlando or San Diego.

This also applies to a potential NY6 Bowl, the Fiesta is a better location and date compared to the Peach.

Which of the NY six bowls picks last? That's where Pitt or WF will play unless Cincy loses a game and still qualifies.
We are forgetting Picket May be the first Qb drafted in the nfl draft so that should help us a lot

No it won't. Comes down to tickets. The southern schools will sell more tickets to southern bowl games.
We will sell enough tickets have heard this many times before we sell enough tickets the bowel will be fine if it’s a major bowl we’ve heard this before and it’s already been proven wrong.

Last edited:
We will sell enough tickets have heard this many times before we sell enough tickets the bowel will be fine if it’s a major bowl attendance will be fine we’ve heard this before and it’s already been proven wrong

We have sold a lot of tickets to 2 Northern bowl games within reasonable driving distance. A southern bowl game isnt taking a chance on selecting Pitt when it has more of a guarantee with tickets by selecting a southern team.

His best option is to opt out regardless. There is no good reason for him to suit up for a bowl game.
Well that is a different story up to Picket to determine that..... i think Picket would play in a major bowl he is so competive but that’s his decision

Reactions: lilspainishflea
We have sold a lot of tickets to 2 Northern bowl games within reasonable driving distance. A southern bowl game isnt taking a chance on selecting Pitt when it has more of a guarantee with tickets by selecting a southern team.
Only my opinion but a major bowl Game would sell even more tickets

Well that is a different story up to Picket to determine that..... i think Picket would play in a major bowl he is so competive but that’s his decision
Absolutely. Totally his decision. He's the type that seems to love the college experience and he might actually want to play.

I don't think there is such a thing as a major bowl in this day and age outside the playoffs.

Reactions: Black Panther
His best option is to opt out regardless. There is no good reason for him to suit up for a bowl game.
It propobly his best option but I think he plays in a major bowl - only my opinion ok I agree to disagree not worth debating. Well have to see what happens

I can't see KP playing in a bowl game regardless of what bowl Pitt plays in.

Lots of people have him mocked going into the 1st round, don't be stupid and risk losing millions of dollars to play in a exhibition bowl game.

If I was him I wouldn't even play in the Syracuse game if Pitt wins this week.

Update to my earlier rant. Multiple sources stating Cheezit Bowl is ACC best bowl after NY6 and we should be happy to get it we lose ACC-CG. I don’t know , Gator Bowl still sounds better to me 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: pittmeister
Does everyone not realize that Pickett isn't a guaranteed 1st or 2nd overall pick? He might not even be the 1st or 2nd QB picked in the draft. He's going to play in the bowl because a great performance in a bowl game will help his draft status, sitting at home will just bring up questions about "commitment" which is fine for a RB or LB but not a QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT