ADVERTISEMENT

Building through the portal

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
As we all endlessly debate and dissect the staff's approach to recruiting and whether are blowing it by not getting desperate for a high school kid and whether they are placing too much emphasis on the transfer portal, a thought occurred to me:

In some respects, getting transfers might give you a bit more long-term roster stability. Young transfers, at least. What I mean is, a high school recruit can come in, have a less-than-productive freshman season - which is probably to be expected in the territory Pitt could be recruiting for this class - and decide to transfer. Now that piece you were hoping to count on for 3 or 4 years is gone.

However, a freshman or sophomore transfer who comes in is kind of tied to your program a little longer. They already used their one-time "free" transfer to come to your school, and while getting a waiver for a second "free" transfer is not unheard of, it's not a guarantee. You're probably going to have that young transfer for a little while. Think of a guy like Ithiel Horton or Nike Sibande; because they already transferred, they are kind of locked in with Pitt a little more than a freshman might be. Or look at Karim Coulibaly; he transfers after his sophomore year and now he's playing 9 minutes per game at St. Bonaventure. That kind of playing time would seem to make him a candidate to transfer, but since he already did transfer, he's more or less tied to St. Bonaventure for awhile - meaning that staff has some time to develop him before he bolts.

Now, I'm not advocating building a whole roster through the transfer portal. I still think Pitt has to create some kind of foundation with high school guys who develop over time (and, ideally, get to a point where they can bring in impact freshmen). But the current environment can make it tough to keep guys long enough for them to develop, and a lot of players are looking for greener pastures before much time has passed at all. At least with transfers, you've got some restrictions to keep them around for a bit.

I don't know what Pitt will do this offseason. My guess - and I've said this a bunch of times - is two transfers and a high school guy. That's just my guess; no one has told me that explicitly and I don't think Pitt has that set as a concrete plan just yet because they don't know exactly how many spots they will have available. I just thought I'd throw that thought out there as something for the ongoing discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News