ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Cohren?

Here's the deal. In this new age, Pitt is always going to be a bubble team. There's no difference betwee Pitt and 40-50 other teams from the 2 seeds all the way to NIT teams. It just comes down to how the team gels and the luck along the way. Did you beat a couple really good teams? Did you lose a couple really bad games? All the teams are the same now. So I fully expect Pitt to be on the bubble again. And this is a reason the tournament needs expanded. There's no bad teams anymore.
I think you mistyped. I think you meant the tournament needs contracted because there’s no good teams anymore.

I think you mistyped. I think you meant the tournament needs contracted because there’s no good teams anymore.

Depends on how you want to classify it. There cant really be any great teams anymore. Maybe a few like UConn/Purdue because those teams stayed together which doesn't happen anymore. Once you get past that, there's 50 teams that all have basically equal talent. So you may not say they are good since the talent is spread evenly. But I consider them good.

Alabama is shooting 50% from 3 and has made 11 three pointers led by an all american guard. And they are about to be down 20 points to Uconn because they are getting pummeled on the glass.

This is why, again, if we want to contend for something and be much better than a bubble team, we better get a lot tougher on the glass starting in the frontcourt. Im going to say it over and over and over again.

All of our powerhouse teams in the golden era pounded people on the glass. Its time we get back to it.

48 NCAA Tourney
48 NIT for the 50 teams that you say are the same.

You Opt out of NIT, 3 year ban for both.

There's only about 4 elite teams now, maybe not even that many. How bout just a 4 team tournament for the natty and we let the next 64 teams, who are all roughly the same play it out?

I understand that. But NC State was worse than a bubble team. Yet, they've made it to a Final Four and have a chance to win it all still. It runs counter to your statement.

I think my statement still holds true. Semantics aside as to whatever you want to call NC State, they were only in the tourney for shits and giggles. They had no real shot at winning the tournament. It was a great achievement for them just to make it 66.67% of the way through the bracket.

There's only about 4 elite teams now, maybe not even that many. How bout just a 4 team tournament for the natty and we let the next 64 teams, who are all roughly the same play it out?

They aren't roughly the same. That's an exaggeration.

But in the last 10 Tournaments, there have only been 2 winners that weren't a #1 seed. UConn last year as a #4, and UConn as a #7 back in 2014.

Technically anything can happen, but most of the time, there are 6 to 8 teams that are clearly better built than the rest of the field to navigate the 6 game minefield to a championship. UConn & Purdue were the top two this year, with a second tier of Houston, UNC, and Tennessee.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I think my statement still holds true. Semantics aside as to whatever you want to call NC State, they were only in the tourney for shits and giggles. They had no real shot at winning the tournament. It was a great achievement for them just to make it 66.67% of the way through the bracket.
You originally said: "There are zero bubble teams playing this weekend."

That statement was basically incorrect given that NC State was less than a bubble team and was already in the Final Four.

You also said: "Bubble teams aren't winning the tournament."

Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? I wouldn't say impossible. Sh*t - the 8-seeded Butler team we lost to almost won it all.

Reactions: Ski11585

That statement was basically incorrect given that NC State was less than a bubble team and was already in the Final Four.

Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? I wouldn't say impossible. Sh*t - the 8-seeded Butler team we lost to almost won it all.

8 seed - which also happens to be the lowest seed to ever win it all - is far from the bubble, though. I would think it to be unlikely that a bubble team could ever win the title unless they had multiple injuries to some of their better players and didn't get them back until January or something.

That's why I'm not *too* sad we didn't make it. Sweet 16 was probably our ceiling, and even that wouldn't have been easy.

Reactions: TD_6082

I just don't consider automatic qualifiers bubble teams. If you can win a major conference tournament, you earned your way in.

Not impossible. Just highly unlikely. We actually had an 8 vs 7 Championship game back in 2014 when UConn defeated Kentucky for the title.

I just don't consider automatic qualifiers bubble teams. If you can win a major conference tournament, you earned your way in.
But that makes no sense. NC State's resume was worse than ours, fcol. They just got hot at the right time.

But that makes no sense. NC State's resume was worse than ours, fcol. They just got hot at the right time.
Definitely hot at thr right time. Adding wins v. Duke, UVa, UNC on neutral probably made their overall resume slightly better even if they weren't an auto qualifier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT