ADVERTISEMENT

Next year's "replacement" for Blake Hinson

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
This was one of my "Moe-bservations" about last night's game ... and while I didn't want to start a new thread, no one replied, so here goes:

* Last thought - cause I don't want to start a new post - is GDG talented enough to be our starting "4" next year, and become a Blake Hinson "replacement" as our 3-point threat?

My thought is, that in games where both Fede and GDG were in the game at the same time, this provides a definite match-up problem for most teams. GDG is not (what I would call) a center. He sub's for Fede but is not an effective in-the-paint player. He has - at times - shown the ability to shoot the ball well from behind the arc. Maybe not as yet like a Pittsnogle (for those who remember this erstwhile WVU big man), but he could be if he focuses on his shooting, and posting up a smaller 4 from another team

Your thoughts? Or do we have to find a Hinson-like player from the portal? Either way, if Pitt wants to continue being a team that shoots 20+ threes and expects to make 9+ per game, GDG needs to be part of that equation, IMO

GDG was having trouble with the straight on 3 in warmups.

But those corner pocket 3s he was Ramon like swish after swish

Reactions: Chairman Moe
This was one of my "Moe-bservations" about last night's game ... and while I didn't want to start a new thread, no one replied, so here goes:

* Last thought - cause I don't want to start a new post - is GDG talented enough to be our starting "4" next year, and become a Blake Hinson "replacement" as our 3-point threat?

My thought is, that in games where both Fede and GDG were in the game at the same time, this provides a definite match-up problem for most teams. GDG is not (what I would call) a center. He sub's for Fede but is not an effective in-the-paint player. He has - at times - shown the ability to shoot the ball well from behind the arc. Maybe not as yet like a Pittsnogle (for those who remember this erstwhile WVU big man), but he could be if he focuses on his shooting, and posting up a smaller 4 from another team

Your thoughts? Or do we have to find a Hinson-like player from the portal? Either way, if Pitt wants to continue being a team that shoots 20+ threes and expects to make 9+ per game, GDG needs to be part of that equation, IMO
The 7' Pittsnogle killed Pitt (and most other teams) with his 3 point stinger. If GDG could be that guy, watch out!!

What I like about GDG is that, with his height, it’s just about impossible to defend his three-point shot.

I also think Jorge could be effective from 3. He hasn’t gotten to show it yet, but it’s tough to get into any groove when you only get a couple of shots per game…

Go Pitt.

Reactions: Chairman Moe

I've speculated before about the DG's taking over the 4 next year. The contrarians on the board feel their defense would be sub-par there. But I think having 7-footers at that spot could be a considerable advantage for us.

I've speculated before about the DG's taking over the 4 next year. The contrarians on the board feel their defense would be sub-par there. But I think having 7-footers at that spot could be a considerable advantage for us.
Blake's defense comes and goes in spurts, too. Traditionally the 4 has been our spot for defense minded players; Blake is an offensive player first, and our record is pretty good with him scoring over defending

Reactions: Protes
Blake's defense comes and goes in spurts, too. Traditionally the 4 has been our spot for defense minded players; Blake is an offensive player first, and our record is pretty good with him scoring over defending

He did a great job on Baba Miller, not that Miller is some great player but some say he will be a 1st Rounder eventually

He needs to be three, imo. Austin is the four and we need to add a legit five from the portal.

He needs to be three, imo. Austin is the four and we need to add a legit five from the portal.
Austin has had a few good games lately, but he's still just bench fodder in my mind. We need to do better at the #4.

Austin has had a few good games lately, but he's still just bench fodder in my mind. We need to do better at the #4.

Austin is a good bench/energy guy. You cant rely on him to give you starter production. He starts the games now but Leggett is the one playing starters minutes.

I think Austin is next year’s starter at the 4, and I think he can be an all-conference level player at that spot.

• Sad

If we want to compete for an actual conference championship and do some actual damage in the NCAA Tournament next year, then I agree with you.

Duke's frontline is going to run Cooper Flagg, the best high school player in all of high school basketball, and a 7'2 5 star center who is a projected top 5 NBA pick. We aren't competing with that team with Austin and Fede starting in the frontcourt.

The defense and rebounding at forward and center is far too weak the way it is currently and we are way too dependent on our guards to crash the defensive glass which in turn impacts our transition offense.

If Kante heals and if he is as good as I think he is going to be on defense and the glass, then that will be a big lift. I also think Guillermo needs a lot more run at the 4 as a 40% 3 point shooter that struggles on the glass more times than not against good players and teams at center. And I would try to over recruit Fede.

I wouldn’t mind Austin and GDG combined at the 4 rather than GDG and Fede at the 5.
Both Austin and GDg have improved in ACC play:
Austin shooting 20/59 (.34) from 3 and 74% FT
GDG shooting 18/45 (.40) from 3 and 63%FT
Both would be solid players. I mean would we take an average 37% from 3 and 70%FT at that position? It is probably easier to find a 4 than a 5 in the portal though.
Fede has shot .36% FT in ACC play….Pitt needs to do better. 247 says Kante “has become a consistent free throw shooter,” but not sure what that means and would like an upgrade over Fede. Wouldn’t mind Fede back as backup though.

I wouldn’t mind Austin and GDG combined at the 4 rather than GDG and Fede at the 5.
Both Austin and GDg have improved in ACC play:
Austin shooting 20/59 (.34) from 3 and 74% FT
GDG shooting 18/45 (.40) from 3 and 63%FT
Both would be solid players. I mean would we take an average 37% from 3 and 70%FT at that position? It is probably easier to find a 4 than a 5 in the portal though.
Fede has shot .36% FT in ACC play….Pitt needs to do better. 247 says Kante “has become a consistent free throw shooter,” but not sure what that means and would like an upgrade over Fede. Wouldn’t mind Fede back as backup though.

If Zack Austin has found his groove - if this is the Zack Austin that we can get next year - then I think we’ll be okay with him playing 28-30 minutes at the 4 next year. Especially since we’ll ideally have four viable guards to play 1-3, plus whatever you can get out of Barnes potentially at the 3. You put Austin at the 4, put Guillermo and/or Jorge as the backup guys at the 4 with Guillermo rotating in at the 5, and I think you’ve got a strong group that will allow us to devote our resources to retaining the backcourt rather than blowing our NIL wad trying to get a 1:1 replacement for Blake.

I don’t think Guillermo is a 4 outside of a few small matchup circumstances. I think we’ve got three viable 5’s, with one coming off an ACL. If you bring all of those guys back, I think you’ve got a lot of pieces to work with and let the cream rise to the top.

I feel like Fede has peaked though..If he could be more consistent, or even raise his FT to .60 it would be a huge help. It’s basically a turnover if he gets fouled on a 1-1 right now and a liability for the tourney if they hack a fed. Is Barnes expected to be back and do anything? And we assume the other fresh is automatic redshirt?

If Zack Austin has found his groove - if this is the Zack Austin that we can get next year - then I think we’ll be okay with him playing 28-30 minutes at the 4 next year. Especially since we’ll ideally have four viable guards to play 1-3, plus whatever you can get out of Barnes potentially at the 3. You put Austin at the 4, put Guillermo and/or Jorge as the backup guys at the 4 with Guillermo rotating in at the 5, and I think you’ve got a strong group that will allow us to devote our resources to retaining the backcourt rather than blowing our NIL wad trying to get a 1:1 replacement for Blake.

I don’t think Guillermo is a 4 outside of a few small matchup circumstances. I think we’ve got three viable 5’s, with one coming off an ACL. If you bring all of those guys back, I think you’ve got a lot of pieces to work with and let the cream rise to the top.
Providing the players are still locked into a selfless mentality, it seems that it might work for Zack and GDG splitting time as the 4 (being that game's starter, and having more minutes), depending on who we play on any given day. GDG as a 4 vs a team with a much shorter/less physical 4 could be a huge advantage. As you say, a lot of pieces to work with. The point of my post was to say that maybe we don't need to find a Blake "replacement"; we focus on paying the NIL to Bub and J-Lowe for one more season, as I think they both need additional seasoning/maturing before going on to the NBA or G-League

I feel like Fede has peaked though..If he could be more consistent, or even raise his FT to .60 it would be a huge help. It’s basically a turnover if he gets fouled on a 1-1 right now and a liability for the tourney if they hack a fed. Is Barnes expected to be back and do anything? And we assume the other fresh is automatic redshirt?
Interesting comment. He may indeed have peaked, though it would be nice if he could work on building more strength/bulk and work on his catch and shoot from within the paint. Seems that too often he catches the ball down low and then looks to pass it back out, rather than take a 5-6' shot

Reactions: PITT 76
I watched GDG drain about 15 3’s in a row last yr well beyond the arc in a practice . When I watch him shoot in games there’s a slight hesitation which I think throws off his rhythm. He need to shoot with confidence. He also needs to continue to gain strength and work on his athleticism and there will be no lack of effort on his part this off season to improve . We haven’t seen his best yet .

Pitt simply ( haha ) needs to get these guys ( Bub , Jaland , Ish and Austin ) to be more consistent in hitting open threes ( assuming they’re all back ) . They’re not going to find a 6’8” guy who bangs them home from half court !

Duke's frontline is going to run Cooper Flagg, the best high school player in all of high school basketball, and a 7'2 5 star center who is a projected top 5 NBA pick. We aren't competing with that team with Austin and Fede starting in the frontcourt.

We aren't likely to compete with that team no matter who we end up with playing the four and the five.

We aren't likely to compete with that team no matter who we end up with playing the four and the five.

It depends how dominant we are at point guard.

Ill give you an example. If someone asked me what was the best stretch of basketball in a 5 minute stretch was in the last 30 years, my answer would be the final 5 minutes of Brandin Knight destroying Dwayne Wade and single handily erasing a 10 point lead in 4 minutes against Marquette in the Sweet 16 that we lost in the final seconds. Knight took that game over in the last 5 minutes after Zavackas and everyone wanted to quit. That is leadership.

We have good point guard play this year. We are going to have Elite level point guard play in the future. We need a dam center to dominate the block to go with it. If Kante is that guy, watch out.

I never ever ever post on this side and now I see why.

GDG at the 3, are you for real??! Lmao imagine him guarding a 3 in the ACC. So you know when we go 3 guards…yaaaaa imagine him trying to guard Bub, Ish, or Leggett. Yikesssss

It depends how dominant we are at point guard.

Ill give you an example. If someone asked me what was the best stretch of basketball in a 5 minute stretch was in the last 30 years, my answer would be the final 5 minutes of Brandin Knight destroying Dwayne Wade and single handily erasing a 10 point lead in 4 minutes against Marquette in the Sweet 16 that we lost in the final seconds. Knight took that game over in the last 5 minutes after Zavackas and everyone wanted to quit. That is leadership.

We have good point guard play this year. We are going to have Elite level point guard play in the future. We need a dam center to dominate the block to go with it. If Kante is that guy, watch out.

Unfortunately, Brandin never actually "erased" the lead as we were only ever able to cut the lead to 1.

;)

But yes, it was an amazing display of point guard play and leadership -- 6 points and 4 assists in those last four minutes.

I never ever ever post on this side and now I see why.

GDG at the 3, are you for real??! Lmao imagine him guarding a 3 in the ACC. So you know when we go 3 guards…yaaaaa imagine him trying to guard Bub, Ish, or Leggett. Yikesssss
Between he and Austin, he's the three.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT