ADVERTISEMENT

Can the program afford another season of Narduzzi?

sappycrease

Redshirt
Oct 12, 2015
Figuratively and literally.

Leave him go and drop him at the end of the year. The hole he is digging this program into will take years to get back to mediocre if he’s allowed to continue this clown show. Not only can he not coach, he’s an even worse recruiter. At least bring someone on board that can hang their hat on one or other.

It hasn’t been fun for a while being a pitt football fan, but Narduzzi has made me so disgusted that I don’t even want to follow anymore. End this now Heather, please.

He was just extended 7 years. We just dumped a ton of money to fix the stallings mistake. He ain't going anywhere for another 2 or 3 years.

I wouldn't be so sure. If Stallings taught us anything, it is that Pitt won't tolerate its breadbasket sports going over a cliff. It's likely about to get ugly for Narduzzi and Heinz is only going to get brighter and brighter yellow.

Not good timing with Pitt about to launch a major capital campaign and the athletic department initiating a rebrand.

While I think he'll be back for one more season at least, we have no idea how his contract reads regarding buyouts.

Feels a lot like Back to the Future, complete with fonts and colors. I hope not.

Last edited:
Reactions: ratking17
At 2-10, yes he is

I disagree.

Even if they lose out he will be back barring any off the field issues. Not saying that’s a good thing, but he will be back in 2019.

Nope. The awful recruiting class is icing on the cake. There are no signs that there i any benefit to keeping him. Same with Stallings. If Stallings had young talent or a good class coming in, he'd still be here.

Reactions: W1np1tt
He was just extended 7 years.

Something tells me she's not as dumb as her predecessors and guaranteed money is probably minimal... which is why she extended after a 5-win season. She can dump this chump at any time and everyone knows it... including the clown w/ the headset on.

Reactions: W1np1tt
He was just extended 7 years. We just dumped a ton of money to fix the stallings mistake. He ain't going anywhere for another 2 or 3 years.

Which is bordering on insanity to extend a coach seven years who just finished a season that resulted in no bowl appearance. And I don’t want to hear the stability talk - make better decisions from the onset and stability takes care of itself. When does stability become stagnation?

Stability , but if you look at the program , it's getting worse , talent level is dropping every year. Keeping him just to keep him would be worse than changing coaches period.

7 year extension at 3 million per year....chump change in college athletics...plus no ones the actual deal. Maybe they settle for 10 and narduzzi coaches immediately elsewhere. Who knows.

Suppose the bottom falls out and it’s a 3-9 year then why wait? Pull the trigger. I can handle a year or 2 of a team struggling as long as they’re BUILDING towards an ultimate goal while establishing an identity. The team is regressing by the year and has no identity or goal that I can see. In this age of instant gratification as an AD you cannot tolerate 5-7, 3-9 this year? Then allowing a disaster next year as well. Time to move on and find a man to give the program an identity.

He is winning at the same rate as Toad and Chryst did. He's recruiting a bit ahead of Chryst. All of them have been the mediocre, that's exactly where Pitt is at the moment.

Not being able to figure out playing defense in the ACC verses the B1G is primary issue, imo.

Figuratively and literally.

Leave him go and drop him at the end of the year. The hole he is digging this program into will take years to get back to mediocre if he’s allowed to continue this clown show. Not only can he not coach, he’s an even worse recruiter. At least bring someone on board that can hang their hat on one or other.

It hasn’t been fun for a while being a pitt football fan, but Narduzzi has made me so disgusted that I don’t even want to follow anymore. End this now Heather, please.

Reactions: PittFanDan17
Honestly, at this point we have very little to gain or lose but firing him.....or keeping him. It just doesn't matter anymore. We've been through so many coaches that it doesn't register with anyone. Recruits don't care. Alumni don't care. Un-affiliates are all on-board with fun, high quality programs at PSU, WVU, OSU and ND. Pitt doesn't even have 10 percent of the local market and unlike Majors II, recent alumni have no investment in the program and unlike Walt Harris-era, the students aren't into it. This year, our fan base is whittled down to maybe 30K and next year it is certain to be less.

Reactions: Ski
He is winning at the same rate as Toad and Chryst did. He's recruiting a bit ahead of Chryst. All of them have been the mediocre, that's exactly where Pitt is at the moment.

Not being able to figure out playing defense in the ACC verses the B1G is primary issue, imo.

He isn’t going to continue winning at the same rate as Chryst and graham.

Reactions: BFo8
Which is bordering on insanity to extend a coach seven years who just finished a season that resulted in no bowl appearance. And I don’t want to hear the stability talk - make better decisions from the onset and stability takes care of itself. When does stability become stagnation?

Yep. Go back and read the extension thread. Many of us made this point and were attacked.
Pitt was just bidding against itself with the extension. Nobody was coming after Narduzzi after his 3 years at Pitt. So what were we doing with the extension?

At 2-10, yes he is

Funny..... I stated 2 weeks ago that 3-9 , with majors 2-like blowouts at ND, UCF, Miami gets him fired

And you responded with " no.....we just extended him"

This is becoming VERY similar to the stallings situation

Stacking up losses.....no one showing up.

They bought out stallings, and there is nothing in Heather's track record that suggests she will keep him just because he was extended.

Pitt Fb is a mess . They extended a coach who had 5 wins last yr for 7 years . How does that make any sense ? Head coaches that produce 9 or 10 win seasons is the stability your looking for , not 5 W's .They have a roster full of 3* . They have commitments from ....all 3* . They have no appeal to the paying customers and will be playing to an embarrassingly empty stadium the rest of the season .
It doesn't really matter when they change coaches because they need to start over from scratch . It's not like the roster is full of star players being mismanaged. If change doesn't happen next yr it will be the yr after .
The first thing they need to do is find a new coach who can either out scheme the opposing coach or one that can out recruit the other ACC teams and occasionally get a kid from PSU ,ND or OSU . Once the coach is in place they need a 10 yr plan to make Pitt Fb an event that students and college Fb fans don't want to miss . There is no quick fix it's just a matter of time when they start over again because what's going on isn't working .

I normally like to see stability in a program and I liked the Narduzzi hire. The problem is this team is getting worse on the field and recruiting hasn't been stellar. When you also look at player development, where are the playmakers? This team doesn't have a single one. You need to let the season play out, but even the biggest Narduzzi fan has to question the direction of this program right now.

The next 3 games could get ugly. These are three teams that put up a lot of points. So we are looking at potentially a 2-5 start with 3 ugly losses in a row, plus the PSU fiasco. And you are coming back home after ND to face an improved Duke team. Which games are winnable? VT? They are like UNC and now have Narduzzi's number. Maybe Wake.

I'd say 3-9 and the PSU fiasco is enough to make the move. Especially if the next 3 are as ugly as I think they are going to be.

I’m losing faith in Narduzzi, but how much good would canning him do for us? Who out there could we get? I can’t imagine there’s a Capel equivalent (young, prior head coaching experience, good recruiter) out there, and if there is, there’s a number of P5 schools also struggling that would be there to compete with.

Pitt extended Wanny after 3 bad seasons, and they sort of turned it around in 2008 and 2009. I guess they figured the same thing would happen with extending Narduzzi, although his first two seasons were better than Wanny's first two (third season for both were remarkably similar).

Only a big name coach can save Pitt at this point (help with recruiting). I don't know of any that will come to Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT