ADVERTISEMENT

CBI is big time now

Brutal foul disparity in favor of UNR in this game, one of the worst you will ever see.

Been a hell of a 3 games between these two teams though, crowds have been great.

Conversely the Vegas 16 final between 2 better teams than these in Old Dominion and Oakland drew about 200 people for the final. Don't know what they announced, but I was there and 200 may actually be generous.

Conversely the Vegas 16 final between 2 better teams than these in Old Dominion and Oakland drew about 200 people for the final. Don't know what they announced, but I was there and 200 may actually be generous.

Yea I saw that.

First year for the Tournament could've hurt attendance & not getting the full 16 teams as well.

Maybe better advertising could've got more people in, IDK.

What I do know is Kay Felder on Oakland is one heck of a player.

The Vegas 16 is a great idea in that all games are in one place over 4 days so it limits travel. However, an event like this needs to be played in a college sports loving town so people come to the games like Dayton, Omaha, Lincoln, Sioux Falls, places like that. Nobody in Vegas cares about these games.

I dont necessarily like the CBI's pay for play business model but its hard for me to believe there isnt some markey for P5 teams who dont make the NIT because as we know, with 15 or 16 automatic NIT qualifiers, its tough to make the NIT now.

The Vegas 16 is a great idea in that all games are in one place over 4 days so it limits travel. However, an event like this needs to be played in a college sports loving town so people come to the games like Dayton, Omaha, Lincoln, Sioux Falls, places like that. Nobody in Vegas cares about these games.

I dont necessarily like the CBI's pay for play business model but its hard for me to believe there isnt some markey for P5 teams who dont make the NIT because as we know, with 15 or 16 automatic NIT qualifiers, its tough to make the NIT now.

I Agree...

Playing it in more of a college hoops town would draw more people.

I thought that most of the teams in the Vegas 16 were better than the CBI, but attendance was down in the Vegas 16 (8) because it wasn't at any of the teams home court.

Their original plan was to get a couple p5 teams that didn't make the NIT, a couple semi local mid majors, and round out the field with the best smaller conference teams left.

LSU, NC St, and Northwestern choosing to opt out of postseason play altogether pretty much killed the tournament. Stanford was expected to be there, but when they fired Dawkins they decided not to come. Without the p5 teams coming Boise St and Utah St ended up dropping out.

The small conference teams they did get were good, certainly RPI-wise better than the CIT and CBI. To the credit of the organizers rather than really take the dregs they shortened the field.

The crowds for all 3 sessions were amazingly bad. There were some NBA scouts there, some I guess to see Felder, and others since they lived in the area. I saw a few gamblers I knew as well. Other than that it looked to be strictly friends and family only.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT