ADVERTISEMENT

Champagnie Signed With Agent

While I think this most likely means he’s gone, didn’t they change the rule that you can retain an agent to guide you through the process while maintaining eligibility? Or am I wrong?

he can return if he signs with one of two agents at this agency.

the issue is the timing of this. kids usually sign right off the bat.. instead, he waited to get feedback, saw Reid isn't coming, and now signs. Not good.

Agents: The NCAA will allow agents, effective immediately, to represent college players who are both NBA- and NCAA-certified (by no later than August 2020 for the NCAA certification). What NCAA certification means has yet to be shared. Athletes would also need to request an evaluation from the NBA’s Undergraduate Advisory Committee, in which NBA executives tell potential draftees the likelihood of their draft position.

Agents would be allowed to cover only limited expenses such as meals and transportation, and the contract with them would need to be terminated if the athlete went back to college.

Such relationships with agents have traditionally been forbidden for players, an attempt by the NCAA to preserve the concept of amateurism in college athletics. Critics say this has led to a shadowy market springing up in which players receive money from agents under the table.

Whether he gets picked or not, coming back and risking injury wasn’t likely going to elevate his stock to a level where the reward greatly outweighed the risk. If we had a team that looked like it was ready to go on a run and increase his visibility, maybe you can argue it’s worth the chance but given the current state of the program it’s decidedly in his best interest to go pro

He's gone. He's been gone and this just confirms it.

What do you think this agent is going to tell him? Go back to college and risk getting hurt, or go play somewhere and get paid?
Another tweet the agent said Champ's college career is over. So he's gone.

All those NBA teams looking for a 6'6 200 pound power forward are licking their chops.

Actually I think he's capable of being a good NBA player if he puts in the work to develop his perimeter skills to the point where he can play in the backcourt or on the wing, kind of like Dan Majerle did years ago. Went from a 6'6 back to the basket player to one of the better two-way 2/3 men in the NBA.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that played some role in his decision.

Same, I would be surprised if Reid's decision had no bearing on Justin's. I think Justin preferred to go pro, but considered returning if the roster was upgraded. Latter didn't happen so he saw no reason to come back and face double teams all year.

I don't blame him, I think that's the right call.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that played some role in his decision.

it 1000000% did.

look, Capel tries to sell these recruits on being an immediate impact, especially a guy like Reid. What people fail to see is that he's pitching this same idea to the current players, especially Justin.

Efton comes in and it opens the floor for Justin. Justin wouldn't have had to be the inside threat on the team. He could work on the perimeter more and cut off of action with Reid. It would've been an awesome duo to watch, and was a great selling point for Capel.

Instead, Justin would be coming into a season where he's doubled and the lane is totally clogged. No inside presence means he's the interior scorer.. something he can't afford to do if he wants to improve his stock.

Are there still certain posters here that think 2021-22 can/will be an improvement over 2020-21? That it's way too early to predict that the team will suck?

If morale seems bad now, imagine how bad it will be when Hugley inevitably gets the boot.

thumb_thank-vou-sir-may-i-have-another-download-meme-generator-50046232.png

Reactions: levance2 and gary2
Are there still certain posters here that think 2021-22 can/will be an improvement over 2020-21? That it's way too early to predict that the team will suck?

If morale seems bad now, imagine how bad it will be when Hugley inevitably gets the boot.

thumb_thank-vou-sir-may-i-have-another-download-meme-generator-50046232.png
If it’s worse Capel will be on the hot seat and my be gone

I’m willing to wait for the results rather than worry 6 months before the season states

picking your scabs publicly everyday serves no purpose

We now know we have 4 to give, probably 5.

BIG holes to fill. The unwarranted optimism has evaporated.

Get realistic, get working!

Need to see progress and soon.

Last edited:

I’m willing to wait for the results rather than worry 6 months before the season states

I get that you're playing a role right now to try and troll folks, but do a better job. It's pretty obvious Capel's done at Pitt. It's just a matter of when.

I get that you're playing a role right now to try and troll folks, but do a better job. It's pretty obvious Capel's done at Pitt. It's just a matter of when.
Want to reread my posts and see where I suggest Capel is the answer and will remain our coach with a bad season ?
Saying it everyday before the season even starts is only adding to the toxicity

it won’t change a thing until after the season

people want to act like children throwing tantrums everyday - it’s they who are trolling
Calling it for what it is - isn’t

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Sooooo, if he stayed this program isn't a joke???
No? This program has been a complete embarrassment since the day Jamie left, it was a joke with Justin, will be a joke without Justin, my point was that there are still people thinking he may come back here, I just wanted to reiterate how much of a joke this program is and has been, it’s absolutely disgusting

No? This program has been a complete embarrassment since the day Jamie left, it was a joke with Justin, will be a joke without Justin, my point was that there are still people thinking he may come back here, I just wanted to reiterate how much of a joke this program is and has been, it’s absolutely disgusting
Which shouldn’t be a surprise
You lose a great coach you fall hard

we’ve returned to the historic mean as a bottom feeder
We’ll remain there until we catch lightning in a bottle with a great coach .
Until that coach leaves at first opportunity

Still waiting to see what topics of discussion on this board do "serve a purpose" in your estimation.

The purported reason for the existence of this board is to openly discuss all things Pitt basketball. At this point in time, the picture ain't pretty, the news keeps getting worse, and the discussions are going to reflect that.

I wasn't even going to check the boards today, but apparently I'm a glutton for punishment. Pitt basketball is officially a doormat.

Reactions: gary2
Which shouldn’t be a surprise
You lose a great coach you fall hard

we’ve returned to the historic mean as a bottom feeder
We’ll remain there until we catch lightning in a bottle with a great coach .
Until that coach leaves at first opportunity
"Great coach?" Aren't you the guy who's always calling out hyperbole on this board?

Good coach? No argument. Great coach--no. It looked like he was on that path for a few years. Turns out he wasn't.

i know what your response will be to this. Save yourself the keystrokes, everyone knows Pitt basketball would be in much better shape with JD still at the helm. That's not to say it would be in good shape-- but middling and not contending for anything annually but the possible double digit NCAA tournament seed is a lot better than hopeless, which is where we have been since. Nobody wanted this mess.

And I was not one of the posters who was happy to see him go. I was actually taken aback and disappointed by that news to say the least. I tried to view it as an opportunity to breathe some life back into a program that had become stagnant-but then the Stallings hire was announced, and that bubble was burst.

I'd say solidly now reset back to yr 1.
Plus can't confidently say its not a total off the rails shitshow.
It can change quick in bb though.

How can you blame anyone for trying to get paid , but I’m just not sure with his skill set as it is he will be very effective at the next level . Wish him the best of luck though .

Always a good selling point to perspective recruits in having players leaving early to the play professionally , but Pitt needed JC back to have any kind of team next season .

Capel and staff are dead men walking. Next year roster will be the worst in all of P5.

Shame I really liked the hire. However, a blind guy could see he put together a garbage staff. Which will be his un doing

Still waiting to see what topics of discussion on this board do "serve a purpose" in your estimation.

The purported reason for the existence of this board is to openly discuss all things Pitt basketball. At this point in time, the picture ain't pretty, the news keeps getting worse, and the discussions are going to reflect that.
What discussion is actually happening
“Fire the coach he’s a loser “ as a daily mantra isn’t exactly stimulating any discussion.
it’s angst for the sake of angst
If you need the catharsis - perhaps some introspection about the misplaced priority college athletics entertainment is holding in your life

"Great coach?" Aren't you the guy who's always calling out hyperbole on this board?

Good coach? No argument. Great coach--no. It looked like he was on that path for a few years. Turns out he wasn't.

i know what your response will be to this. Save yourself the keystrokes, everyone knows Pitt basketball would be in much better shape with JD still at the helm. That's not to say it would be in good shape-- but middling and not contending for anything annually but the possible double digit NCAA tournament seed is a lot better than hopeless, which is where we have been since. Nobody wanted this mess.

And I was not one of the posters who was happy to see him go. I was actually taken aback and disappointed by that news to say the least. I tried to view it as an opportunity to breathe some life back into a program that had become stagnant-but then the Stallings hire was announced, and that bubble was burst.
Winningest coach in big east history = great coach
Two #1 seeds at Pitt = great coach
13 ncaa tournament appearances in 15 years at Pitt = great coach

go ahead and give me a short list of “good “ coaches who was capable of achieving what Dixon did at Pitt

it won’t be long and will exclusively contain great coaches

Reactions: levance2
What discussion is actually happening
“Fire the coach he’s a loser “ as a daily mantra isn’t exactly stimulating any discussion.
it’s angst for the sake of angst
If you need the catharsis - perhaps some introspection about the misplaced priority college athletics entertainment is holding in your life

alright man. what do you expect? you're on a Pitt board giving us shit because we're upset that a generational center spurned us and our best player declared for the NBA the very next day.. what do you expect?

where do you get off telling us what our priorities should be? gtfo.

alright man. what do you expect? you're on a Pitt board giving us shit because we're upset that a generational center spurned us and our best player declared for the NBA the very next day.. what do you expect?

where do you get off telling us what our priorities should be? gtfo.
I’m holding up a mirror to the anonymous internet bitching
If you don’t like the reflection -don’t blame me

Pitt didn’t land a top recruit ? No shit- what else is new ?
An all American averages a double double for a season - and went pro -
Holy shit - who else could be surprised by this other than anyone with an ounce of common sense ?

so what’s actually changed the last 48 hours ?
Nothing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT