ADVERTISEMENT

Champagnie Signed With Agent

What discussion is actually happening
“Fire the coach he’s a loser “ as a daily mantra isn’t exactly stimulating any discussion.
it’s angst for the sake of angst
If you need the catharsis - perhaps some introspection about the misplaced priority college athletics entertainment is holding in your life
I haven't advocated for firing Capel to this point. I've been pretty consistent that I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him, but the needle is moving the wrong direction on that. I don't think he has shown enough progress to give him much more time. Now this season is shaping up to be his worst yet, and more disconcertingly the program is not stable. In year 4 that's a pretty strong sign that he's not the right guy for this mission. Maybe there truly isn't a coach that could fix this program the honest way, but it certainly doesn't look like this coach can. These are just my own opinions, which I enjoy expressing on this board occasionally in the course of the overall discussion of Pitt basketball, which I have been a fan of for 40 years. This consistent retort of yours that some of us need therapy due to some imagined over-emphasis of college sports in our lives is always your sanctimonious and false fallback stance. There are certainly some posters who are bordeline unhinged and that comes across pretty clearly in their posts, we all know who they are. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not one of them, nor even close to being one of them. I'm also reasonably sure I spend a lot less time on this forum than you do. Kind of hypocritical to accuse others of obsessive behavior and misplaced priorities when you’re on the Lair all day and most of the night.

Last edited:
I think he should have come back. I don't think it makes sense to go now unless he really needed money bad. He could have improved his outside shot and shown he can create his own offense with next year's team. I hope I'm wrong but this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Especially since no one has him being drafted anywhere.

The issue we have with Capel is that he is not a system coach. He can't win by his coaching and/or his system alone. He needs to recruit players that normally wouldn't come to Pitt. And he just hasn't done that for whatever reason. As much as I admire him he needs to figure that out or maybe he is just better as a recruiter assistant at a top program.

Winningest coach in big east history = great coach
Two #1 seeds at Pitt = great coach
13 ncaa tournament appearances in 15 years at Pitt = great coach

go ahead and give me a short list of “good “ coaches who was capable of achieving what Dixon did at Pitt

it won’t be long and will exclusively contain great coaches
He's a good coach that took over a very good situation at Pitt and did a really good job and got good results for 8 years. It was sliding and unless the roster improved in a big way, it was going to crash hard, That's why he bolted, or was nudged out with relative ease. He's also yet to finish above 5th in his current gig, doesn't have an NCAA win to show for it, and he has a 38% conference winning percentage.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
Jamie Dixon was a great coach at Pitt. He took over a good situation but was still making the tournament over 10 years later. I thought he left on his own accord. But it’s obvious now he was nudged out and that should have never happened. Especially without a plan to bring someone in better.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
Jamie Dixon was a great coach at Pitt. He took over a good situation but was still making the tournament over 10 years later. I thought he left on his own accord. But it’s obvious now he was nudged out and that should have never happened. Especially without a plan to bring someone in better.
Maybe so. However, it's quite possible that Jamie and Barnes both knew exactly where things were heading and orchestrated a graceful exit strategy.

Scott Barnes should have begged Jamie Dixon to come back. Whatever it took he should have done it. Instead I think he wanted to make his own lasting impression on the program.

And man did he ever...

Scott Barnes should have begged Jamie Dixon to come back. Whatever it took he should have done it. Instead I think he wanted to make his own lasting impression on the program.

And man did he ever...
Jamie Dixon since he left Pitt:

96-71 overall. 34-54 in conference

Conference finishes - tied for 7th, 5th, tied for 7th, tied for7th and 8th

NIT Champs, NCAA round of 64, NIT Semis, zilch,zilch
That is with a better location to recruit to and zero AD interference.

I haven't advocated for firing Capel to this point. I've been pretty consistent that I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him, but the needle is moving the wrong direction on that. I don't think he has shown enough progress to give him much more time. Now this season is shaping up to be his worst yet, and more disconcertingly the program is not stable. In year 4 that's a pretty strong sign that he's not the right guy for this mission. Maybe there truly isn't a coach that could fix this program the honest way, but it certainly doesn't look like this coach can. These are just my own opinions, which I enjoy expressing on this board occasionally in the course of the overall discussion of Pitt basketball, which I have been a fan of for 40 years. This consistent retort of yours that some of us need therapy due to some imagined over-emphasis of college sports in our lives is always your sanctimonious and false fallback stance. There are certainly some posters who are bordeline unhinged and that comes across pretty clearly in their posts, we all know who they are. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not one of them, nor even close to being one of them. I'm also reasonably sure I spend a lot less time on this forum than you do. Kind of hypocritical to accuse others of obsessive behavior and misplaced priorities when you’re on the Lair all day and most of the night.
Cliff notes ?
Lots of words to say nothing
Hallmark of less than clever people

He's a good coach that took over a very good situation at Pitt and did a really good job and got good results for 8 years. It was sliding and unless the roster improved in a big way, it was going to crash hard, That's why he bolted, or was nudged out with relative ease. He's also yet to finish above 5th in his current gig, doesn't have an NCAA win to show for it, and he has a 38% conference winning percentage.

TCU is booting his ass in a year or so !

Chronic insults on an anonymous message board-hallmark of small, insecure people.
. This consistent retort of yours that some of us need therapy due to some imagined over-emphasis of college sports in our lives is always your sanctimonious and false fallback stance. …. I'm also reasonably sure I spend a lot less time on this forum than you do. Kind of hypocritical to accuse others of obsessive behavior and misplaced priorities when you’re on the Lair all day and most of the night.

And man did he ever...

I disagree. I think Pitt hoops was going to crash in 2017-18 even if he had stayed. The lack of talent on the roster was fairly obvious. At that point, Barnes would be forced to get rid of a popular coach & Jamie would become damaged goods and have considerably more trouble finding a job that pays in the range of what he currently makes. I think its a move that worked out great for Jamie, and for Pitt, the results are probably only slightly worse than they would have been had Jamie stayed.

The reality is that Jamie's departure has cost Pitt a ton of embarrassment, but probably didn't move the needle in terms of NCAA births that would have been produced between April 2016 and now.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
I disagree. I think Pitt hoops was going to crash in 2017-18 even if he had stayed. The lack of talent on the roster was fairly obvious. At that point, Barnes would be forced to get rid of a popular coach & Jamie would become damaged goods and have considerably more trouble finding a job that pays in the range of what he currently makes. I think its a move that worked out great for Jamie, and for Pitt, the results are probably only slightly worse than they would have been had Jamie stayed.

The reality is that Jamie's departure has cost Pitt a ton of embarrassment, but probably didn't move the needle in terms of NCAA births that would have been produced between April 2016 and now.

THIS!

Jamie Dixon is gone.

The Pitt fans who wanted him gone are now enjoying Pitt Basketball without him.

Where are you guys now to support the team.

Get your season tickets.

The Pete is rather empty now for Pitt home basketball games.

No more sellouts.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: H2PisIT

Even if you are right and it crashed they would not (and should not) have let him go. And there is no reason to believe he wouldn't have rebuilt in a year or two to be at least be a tournament team again. It's a lot harder to rebuild with a new head coach and a revolving door of athletic directors. Jamie had his track record and job security at Pitt. He was Pitt basketball at this point. It was ridiculous to force him to leave after making the tournament 11 out of the last 13 years. It made the program look bad to players and potential coaches.

Again, I am not a Jamie Dixon loyalist. I thought he wanted to leave and was OK with it. Knowing what we know now its ridiculous to suggest in anyway letting him go was the right call. Hell Barnes knew he messed up royally its why he jumped at the first opportunity to jump ship.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Even if you are right and it crashed they would not (and should not) have let him go. And there is no reason to believe he wouldn't have rebuilt in a year or two to be at least be a tournament team again. It's a lot harder to rebuild with a new head coach and a revolving door of athletic directors. Jamie had his track record and job security at Pitt. He was Pitt basketball at this point. It was ridiculous to force him to leave after making the tournament 11 out of the last 13 years. It made the program look bad to players and potential coaches.

Again, I am not a Jamie Dixon loyalist. I thought he wanted to leave and was OK with it. Knowing what we know now its ridiculous to suggest in anyway letting him go was the right call. Hell Barnes knew he messed up royally its why he jumped at the first opportunity to jump ship.
If it crashed, how could they not let him go? The product was already stale, attendant dwindling, and recruiting was going nowhere.

I have no idea if he was forced or not, but the jump to TCU was a good move for Dixon.

If Jamie really wanted to go, Barnes should have let oil rich/generally rich TCU pay the buyout price. That was fiscally reckless. Their yearly athletic budget is third in the Big XII, and they have a few large donors who probably would have loved to bring Jamie on regardless of price.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT