ADVERTISEMENT

Cignetti to Indiana

Narduzzi still reviewing tape on Shannahan. Probably too late, now.

Better call Willy Korn before he gets snagged.

My guess is Shanahan would choose IU over Pitt now. Probably more $$$ and more job security. Curt has a minimum of 3 years at IU and probably 4.

Pitt is a step up from Indiana. We should be able to offer more money. But you're right about the job security.

He does realize Indiana University is different than Indiana University of Pennsylvania, right?

Indiana can offer way more money if it chooses. Remember what conference they are in, and how much it pays.

I don't think they can/will. When it comes to football budgets, the money for Pitt isn't going to be far off from the Big. When it comes to buying players, updating facilities, funding other sports, etc is where Pitt will fall further behind.

Indiana can offer way more money if it chooses. Remember what conference they are in, and how much it pays.
According to the report from USA Today for FY 2022, Indiana had $166.8 million in athletic revenues compared to $132.3m in expenses with a $2.7m athletic subsidy from the university's funds. A $34.5m surplus on a $132m budget.

According to the June 30, 2022 Stairs Report, Pitt had $73.3 million in athletic revenue compared to $115.1m in athletic expenses. The subsidy from university funds...subtract $115m from 73m. But that is a $41.8m deficit on a record $115.1m budget.

Now accounting might not be apples to apples, but this is a new world where you start to understand why, when Indiana's athletic revenue is ~2.3X that of Pitt's, especially if players become paid employees, some schools are desperate to get into the B10 or SEC even though everyone's revenues due to conference media payouts are at record levels.

Pitt's budget is in the range of Virginia Tech, Maryland, and even UNC, but with many less sports being sponsored and a much larger school subsidy covering the revenue shortfall. No one should listen to simpletons claiming that Pitt isn't invested in athletics. But no, Pitt cannot compete financially with Indiana as college athletics is currently construed without some significant increase in fan and booster support.

Last edited:
Technically perhaps, but at a certain point there is a reality of the coach level who is willing to accept those jobs.
That's true too. Mississippi State is a prime example. The were locked in on Jeremy Chadwell from the beginning of their search. They offered him as much as $7.5 mil, and recognized life is pretty good in Lynchburg VA making $4 mil without stepping in to that hell hole pressure cooker where you can't win.

Cignetti is 62 and was making roughly $700K. That was a no-brainer.

Reactions: jctrack
My guess is Shanahan would choose IU over Pitt now. Probably more $$$ and more job security. Curt has a minimum of 3 years at IU and probably 4.
This is what I was thinking as well. Though, there is some benefit to working under different coaches. You learn different systems and Shanahan would be the true OC here with Narduzzi putting his full attention on the defense.

I don't think they can/will. When it comes to football budgets, the money for Pitt isn't going to be far off from the Big. When it comes to buying players, updating facilities, funding other sports, etc is where Pitt will fall further behind.
Didn't Indiana fire one of their more successful college football head coaches in recent memory knowing there was a $20+ MILLION dollar buy out? BIG 10 MONEY>ACC MONEY.

Reactions: pbrad and jctrack
Didn't Indiana fire one of their more successful college football head coaches in recent memory knowing there was a $20+ MILLION dollar buy out? BIG 10 MONEY>ACC MONEY.
3-9, 4-8, 2-10 the last 3 seasons. Only 3 Big 10 wins in 3 years.

If Duzz replicates that, I think Pitt would come up with $20 mil too. FWIW, I heard they settled for $15. No idea if that's accurate.

Probably doesn't come from the budget, though.

I think that there are not enough mediocre teams who are bowl eligible to fill all of the slots, so they are able to slip in.

It was always likely that they were going to get a bowl bid, because all there had to be for that to happen was for there to be fewer bowl eligible teams than there are bowl slots. The thing that they couldn't get was the G5 slot in a New Year's Six game, because they weren't allowed to be selected unless their were empty spots.

Based on the accounts he's following on Twitter, it seems that he has in fact chosen IU
What am I missing. The stink all year has been JMU not being eligible for a bowl. Must have missed where they are suddenly eligible.
JMU is 11-1 and only was ineligible due to NCAA rules associated with moving up from FCS. "Stink" isn't the word I'd use

Sure don’t know what makes you say Pitt could pay more than IU?!
Pitt can't spend with IU if IU wants to open up the wallet. But IU is an impossible place to succeed as a football coach. It's a head coach career graveyard. The place where rising HC careers go to die.

Good luck Cignasty. You;re gonna need it.

Reactions: cbpitt2
Pitt can't spend with IU if IU wants to open up the wallet. But IU is an impossible place to succeed as a football coach. It's a head coach career graveyard. The place where rising HC careers go to die.

Curt is 62. Most of his career is in the rearview mirror. He's really in no position to really be selective.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think that there are not enough mediocre teams who are bowl eligible to fill all of the slots, so they are able to slip in.
I knew that but I hadn’t heard it was a done deal. Good for JMU.
Based on the accounts he's following on Twitter, it seems that he has in fact chosen IU

JMU is 11-1 and only was ineligible due to NCAA rules associated with moving up from FCS. "Stink" isn't the word I'd use
I know all that. The stink I referred to concerned the fuss the media put up. Semantics.

Reactions: imrealangry
That's true. Time to make a little real money before sailing off into the sunset.

he doesn't stand a chance to succeed in the W/L column there though. Nobody does.
He's gonna make $20+ million (win or lose) over the next few years and then retire very comfortably. Nice gig if you can get it.

Yeah I agree that IU isn’t a good place to go for a football coach looking to have some success and possibly lead to bigger and better things.

My comment was purely responding to the notion that Pitt had more $ to throw around than IU.

Reactions: cbpitt2
That's true. Time to make a little real money before sailing off into the sunset.

he doesn't stand a chance to succeed in the W/L column there though. Nobody does.

He no longer starts the year with 3 guaranteed losses. The schedule will be easier and if he hits everything right in a given year with a favorable schedule, he can go 10-2 or 9-3. Not a prediction but lets say he has a good QB and misses PSU, Mich, and Oregon and maybe upsets USC at home or something like that.

Yeah I agree that IU isn’t a good place to go for a football coach looking to have some success and possibly lead to bigger and better things.

My comment was purely responding to the notion that Pitt had more $ to throw around than IU.
Yep I was just affirming that and adding a little to it.

He no longer starts the year with 3 guaranteed losses. The schedule will be easier and if he hits everything right in a given year with a favorable schedule, he can go 10-2 or 9-3. Not a prediction but lets say he has a good QB and misses PSU, Mich, and Oregon and maybe upsets USC at home or something like that.
Don't hold your breath. IU was terrible before the B10 had divisions too. They haven't won 9 since 1967, and have only won 8 4 times, 3 of those coming under Bill Mallory in the 80s.

They are the definition of a college football backwater.

3-9, 4-8, 2-10 the last 3 seasons. Only 3 Big 10 wins in 3 years.

If Duzz replicates that, I think Pitt would come up with $20 mil too. FWIW, I heard they settled for $15. No idea if that's accurate.
I sure would hope Pitt would come up with the buyout money if they had three seasons like that. Hope you're not foreshadowing there.

Don't hold your breath. IU was terrible before the B10 had divisions too. They haven't won 9 since 1967, and have only won 8 4 times, 3 of those coming under Bill Mallory in the 80s.

They are the definition of a college football backwater.

Yes but I am saying there is a least a chance now. A good QB + a favorable schedule could get them to 9 wins. I wouldn’t bet on it but it wasnt possible in the B10E

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT