ADVERTISEMENT

Cincy Rewatch

JAM05Pitt

Junior
Gold Member
Jun 6, 2015
I know this is a really, really big week. Of course, it's the Backyard Brawl and our Panthers are looking at payback on Saturday. If that isn't enough (it is), we also had the surprising news of Heather Lyke's dismissal on Monday. But setting that aside briefly, I went back and rewatched the Cincy game and wanted to share some shorthand thoughts...
  1. I still don't know how we won that game. Any time you have a big comeback like that, you need to make some big time plays and you also need a little help. Both things happened last Saturday, which leaves me...confused. It's discouraging we were getting outplayed for 3 quarters against what is likely just an okay Cincy team. However, it's also promising that we have the capability to play like we did in the 4th quarter.
  2. We don't make that comeback without a dynamic offense. That's today's college football, and as Chris mentioned in his Morning Pitt the scheme looks good - maybe even really good. Even when we were not executing, there were a lot of plays to be made. I see receivers open, a strong running game, options for the qb, tons of running lanes for the qb, etc.
  3. Cooper has done a nice job but he's had a few low snaps. Gotta get em' up.
  4. Johnson isn't a super natural returner, although I think he does a nice job. The blocking on our returns through 2 games has been really good. I somewhat embarrassingly went back and watched the returns and I think we can break one. However, too many holding penalties on the returns...maybe that's why there have been some openings. :) We have to cut down on that.
  5. The LBs are fast and attacking. They are young and the future is really bright
  6. We are blitzing all the damn time. I like it, even if it does feel like a bit much at times. When we bring 6 (not necessarily 5) the corners need some type of read to know the ball is coming out quick and not to be 15 yards off.
  7. I know McMillan had a bunch of tackles on Saturday but it just feels like the safeties have been really quiet to start the year. They made a lot of plays in camp and were talked up a bunch, so I feel like some impact games are coming.
  8. Kenny Johnson won't be held without a catch again this season.
  9. Matlack is pretty quick but he has to finish better, which I think he will.
  10. I was watching the game with a bunch of casual, non-Pitt college football fans on Saturday and they wanted Narduzzi to play for the touchdown late. Can't relay on kickers. I said if they get to the Cincy 35 the game is over. Sauls is money.
  11. The punting...is certainly not much better.
  12. Kiner is a really good back. If Cincy gives him 10 more carries that game, I am not sure how we stop him. To that point, WVU is going to pound the ball and try to work in the quick passing game. Buckle the chinstrap on Saturday!
  13. h2p!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.