ADVERTISEMENT

Clock Mgmt.

chillsy

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 20, 2007
Aldie, Virginia
Before anyone jumps on me, that was a good win yesterday in a place we haven't won before. I don't think any of us thought they would lose, as the offense seemed to be in control for most of the game.

But, I will say, if they are going to play close games in the final 7, they need to work on clock management in the final 5 mins. of the game. I am sure someone has already mentioned this, but even the awful announcers kept commenting on it. On that final drive, and I was counting, there were only 2-3 plays where they snapped the ball with less than 10 seconds on the play clock. Most times there were between 16-20 seconds remaining. Again, I don't believe any of us thought UNC was going to come back and drive the field at the end of the game if we didn't get the field goal, but we could have burned at least 1:00 - 1:30 of additional clock time on that drive. I know that is not our offense, and that is fine, but there is nothing wrong with coming up to the LOS with less than 5 mins. left and with the lead and letting the clock wind down to 4-5 seconds. I get that we are trying to move the ball, push the offense, and keep the defense on their heels, but that should not be the objective late in the game with a lead.

I know that is probably nitpicking, but we are going to be in a close game this season with a team with a much better offense. I can't imagine if we are up on Miami by 7 with 3 mins to go and the ball, we won't slow down and let the play clock run down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.