ADVERTISEMENT

Comeback over WVU year ago

neench

Freshman
Aug 17, 2001
Does anyone remember the comeback Pitt had over WVU years ago. I believe it was in the 70's. Can anyone refresh my memory?? I thought the score was in the 30s?? But not sure.

Does anyone remember the comeback Pitt had over WVU years ago. I believe it was in the 70's. Can anyone refresh my memory?? I thought the score was in the 30s?? But not sure.
I was at that 1970 game as a student - and as is my custom, stayed the whole game even though we were down 35-8 at the half. Pitt was methodical in the second half - I don’t remember any big yardage plays, just first down after first down. If I remember correctly we converted a couple 1st downs by going for it on 4th down. The final was Pitt 36; WVU 35.

Dave “White Shoes” Havern!

Most fun Pitt game I ever saw in person.

Go Pitt.

I was at that 1970 game as a student - and as is my custom, stayed the whole game even though we were down 35-8 at the half. Pitt was methodical in the second half - I don’t remember any big yardage plays, just first down after first down. If I remember correctly we converted a couple 1st downs by going for it on 4th down. The final was Pitt 36; WVU 35.

Go Pitt.

I was there too, as a student. You have the details correct.

Reactions: MajorMajors
There was that Saturday Night ESPN Primetime game in Morgantown where we had a big comeback to tie it at the horn and it ended as a tie because there was no OT

Go Pitt.
I'd like to say I stuck it out, but I walked down to a bar in Oakland and spent the 2nd half drinking. I had just returned from overseas in the army and didn't have the patience to sit through a rout.

That's the last game I ever left at half-time -- a lesson learned over 50 years ago.

There was that Saturday Night ESPN Primetime game in Morgantown where we had a big comeback to tie it at the horn and it ended as a tie because there was no OT
31-31. I was living in Charleston WV and dating a WVU grad. Van Pelt (WV native) was our QB. As we sat in my GFs living room she kept needling me. But I distinctly recall sensing a comeback.
I also recall telling a WVU fan that if it came down to a kick, our kicker was money from the left hash and iffy from the right.
The tying kick was from the left hash.
I didn’t get laid for awhile after that.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

Go Pitt.
I was there also. I was in my first year of Grad School.

Memories--

(1) Had a pint of liquor with me. Didn't touch a drop in the first half; but killed it mostly in 4th Quarter. Went home to cook dinner for my appartment house buddies (it was my turn to cook) and nearly ruined dinner.

(2) Many/most of the players who fueled the 2nd half comeback were the seniors who were part of the Dave Hart freshman team (probably his only talented recruiting class) that played a freshman team schedule of Ohio State, Penn State, West Virginia and Notre Dame. I believe that freshman team beat the WVU freshman handily. They also lost 18-15 to the ND freshman (quarterbacked by Joe Theisman) at Forbes field in a night game with snow showers. It was those seniors "last hurrah." Yes and Davey Havern was one and Bill Pilconis (6-6 tight end) was another. I think Pilconis either scored the winning TD for Pitt or a 2-point conversion after it.

(3) Years later Bobby Bowden called it the worst coaching job he ever did.

If I am wrong on details--please forgive me--that was 50+ years ago.

Reactions: MajorMajors
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT