ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing Nova 16 to YSU 17

Feb 1, 2016
Just taking a look at the game trends for each game.. I have some time on my hands lol

2016 vs. Nova (passing)

Peterman - 19/32 (59%) 175 yards - 2 TD - 53.6 QBR

2017 vs. YSU (passing)

Browne - 17/24 (71%) 140 yards - 1 TD - 75.5 QBR

2016 vs. Nova (rushing)

Conner - 17 carries - 53 yards (3.1 avg) 1 TD
Ollison - 7 carries - 30 yards (4.3 avg)
Hall - 6 carries - 13 yards (2.2 avg)
Kneels and Sacks - 4 for -10 yards

34 total attempts - 86 yards (2.5 avg) 1 TD - Long run of 11 yards

2017 vs. YSU (rushing)

Ollison - 22 carries - 91 yards (4.1 avg) - 2 TD
Henderson - 9 carries - 77 yards (8.6 avg)
Hall - 13 carries - 52 yards (4.0 avg)
Davis - 4 carries - 8 yards (2.0 avg) - 1 TD
Sacks - 5 for -20 yards

53 total attempts - 208 yards (3.9 average) - 3 TD - long of 17 yards

2016 vs. Nova (receiving)

Orndoff - 5 rec - 68 yards
Weah - 4 rec - 38 yards - 1 TD
Henderson - 4 - 35 yards
Conner - 3 rec - 16 yards - 1 TD
Ford - 2 rec - 14 yards
Parrish - 1 rec - 4 yards

19 rec - 175 yards - 2 TD - long of 19 yards

2017 vs. YSU (receiving)

Flanagan - 2 rec - 35 yards
Ollison - 5 rec - 35 yards
Ffrench - 3 rec - 19 yards
Hall - 2 rec - 12 yards
Weah - 1 rec - 11 yards - 1 TD
Sear - 1 rec - 10 yards
Henderson - 1 rec - 7 yards
Mathews - 1 rec - 6 yards
Araujo-Lopes - 1 rec - 5 yards

17 rec - 140 yards - 1 TD - long of 30 yards

2016 vs. Nova (Kicking/Returning/Defense)

Blewit - 0/2 FG - 4/4XP
Winslow - 6 Punts - 254 yards (42.3 avg) - long of 53 yards

Henderson - 2 Kick Returns - 118 yards - 1 TD
Henderson - 4 Punt Returns - 58 yards (14.5 avg)

Defense:
6 sacks
8 TFL
11 QB Hurries
57 tackles
1 INT

2017 vs. YSU (Kicking/Returning/Defense)

Kessman - 0/2 FG - 4/4XP
Winslow - 2 Punts - 81 yards (40.5 avg) - long of 47 yards

Henderson - 3 Kick Returns - 71 yards
Stocker - 1 Punt Return (Blocked Punt) - 66 Yards

Defense:
1 sack
4 TFL
8 QB Hurries
48 tackles
1 INT

Passing Game Thoughts:

The biggest complaint I've seen on this board deals with Max Browne. Whether it's saying he needs to play better, or benched entirely. Simply looking at the numbers, Max played a fine game. He spread the ball around to 9 different receivers and was very efficient. He only had the opportunity to throw the ball 24 times. So why do we want him benched?

Peterman threw the ball 32 times (8 more times than Browne did) and had 2 more completions than Browne in the opener. Not to mention this was Peterman's 2nd year in the program. Although, most of the people who want Browne benched now, also wanted Peterman benched.

Browne was interviewed after the game and he thought he played well, which I would agree with. He didn't take unnecessary risks, he took care of the ball (besides the play JJS got torched) and he spread the wealth around.

The passing game was restrained, although Browne stayed efficient, and won the game when we needed him. His play could've been a lot worse.

Rushing Game Thoughts:

In both openers, Narduzzi featured 3 running backs. Last year it was Conner, Ollison and Hall, this year it was Ollison, Hall and Davis. The only difference in the running game this year was that Henderson got his jet sweeps. This isn't anything new for the Pitt offense, so it wasn't necessary to hide.

This year we ran the ball 19 more times than we did last year. Take away the 9 jet sweeps and we still ran it 10 more times (44 carries - 131 yards - 2.9 avg). So taking out the jet sweeps, we were still more effective running the ball than last year. Conner not having his feet under him obviously played into last year's efforts, but people keep saying our offensive line last year was better. It might be, but through one game you could argue this year's is better. Small sample size, but still a valid argument.

Another thing to note about the rushing game, George Aston wasn't featured in game 1. This was another weapon in the rushing and passing game that we didn't until week 2. PSU might not be expecting it since he's hurt, but maybe Clark takes over that role? Maybe that's why we didn't see him very much? Time will tell..

Receiving Game Thoughts:

Last year Peterman hit 6 receivers, this year Browne hit 9. I found it odd that Henderson and Weah had more catches in the opener last year than this year. Orndoff also played a big role in last year's opener.

It was nice to see Flanagan make a nice catch in traffic, and to also see Mathews get involved. I didn't think the news out of camp regarding Mathews was encouraging, so it was nice to see him haul in a pass. Also, it was good to see Sear get involved. I think we have more weapons in the passing game this year, and that showed by the amount of targets and receptions to different receivers on 8 less attempts.

I also think the deep ball will play a factor this year. We didn't see it last week, but we have enough size and speed + a QB with a strong arm to attempt some downfield shots. I think it's obvious that Watson kept held back the kitchen sink and only ran a few different packages. I saw Henderson on the sidelines during passing downs, and I don't think I saw him in the slot once. Wasn't he projected to be in the slot more? I think we can bank on him making an impact from here on out from that position.

Kicking/Returning/Defense Thoughts:

Kicking both games was poor. Kessman missing two short ones is discouraging but I think he'll rebound next week. Not much to note from a punting standpoint either. Winslow is Winslow, he's a solid punter who should help us switch the field throughout the year.

The defense last week was poor. I made the argument a couple of times through the first half last week that our defense gave up zero pts and that's all that matters. Pelini is no dummy and came out of the half exploiting our weaknesses. My only worry - Bo Pelini figured out how to move the ball with no issues with only 1 half of tape and with an FCS team. What will PSU or Ok. State do?

The infamous wheel route - Zeise showed good speed, but was in the wrong position too many times. It was his 2nd college game as a linebacker, so I give him a pass. I expect a big bounce back week from him against PSU.

The D line struggled mightily. They didn't get any pressure and really struggled to stop the run in the second half. I think Partridge knows what he's doing and will turn the ship around. Last year vs. Nova our DE's caused havoc, this year not so much.

I was impressed with the secondary this year. There were some plays given up downfield, but so much better than last year. It was obviously great to see Bricen get a INT, and Dane Jackson really opened my eyes. He played very well. Maddox also had a couple of nice pass break ups.

Pitt fans, especially the ones on this board, always knee jerk after the first game. Unless we blow a team out by 40. I have seen post after post about how we are screwed this year, how Browne needs benched, how our O line is terrible, how Jester Weah is overrated, etc. It was the first game folks. Pitt hid their hand. I don't like the gameplan, but it worked last year. It may sound dumb, but the less tape a team has of your offense and defense, the less they know. It certainly helps, I just don't like the fact that we almost lost due to it.

I think we go into PSU and win next week. I'm a huge optimist, but I'm completely sold on Max Browne. I think he's going to be terrific for us. He played well last week with limited opportunities and once he's unleashed, I expect big things from him. He has the weapons around him to lead a top offense in the ACC.

This was a long post, but hopefully I gave some a good read on a slow media week.

H2P

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News