ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Championships

Oct 25, 2021
Any of these interest you?

Florida State vs Louisville... Eh, I might watch for a bit just because they're familiar teams. Can't say it's anything I'm looking forward to all that much.

Oregon vs Washington... Probably the most interesting game when factoring in the quality of the teams with the fact that they're not annual top 5 fixtures.

Michigan vs Iowa... GTFOOH.

Texas vs Oklahoma State... Can't really get into the though of this one. Maybe I'll watch if it's close at the end.

Alabama vs Georgia... Like the Red Sox vs the Yankees or the Eagles vs the Cowboys, I just couldn't be any more sick of watching these teams play each other. Again, I'll see if it's close at the end, but I couldn't be any less interested in the thought of watching these two teams play again.

Reactions: Farnox
Any of these interest you?

Florida State vs Louisville... Eh, I might watch for a bit just because they're familiar teams. Can't say it's anything I'm looking forward to all that much.

Oregon vs Washington... Probably the most interesting game when factoring in the quality of the teams with the fact that they're not annual top 5 fixtures.

Michigan vs Iowa... GTFOOH.

Texas vs Oklahoma State... Can't really get into the though of this one. Maybe I'll watch if it's close at the end.

Alabama vs Georgia... Like the Red Sox vs the Yankees or the Eagles vs the Cowboys, I just couldn't be any more sick of watching these teams play each other. Again, I'll see if it's close at the end, but I couldn't be any less interested in the thought of watching these two teams play again.
Only exciting part of Alabama-Georgia would be if Alabama wins and the other favorites win, and then seeing what the Playoff Committee does. Does Georgia still get in given how good they have been all year, or do you pick Bama given the head-to-head victory? Or do you pick neither and select Texas? If you are calling Georgia-Bama Yankee-Red Sox, then Texas is like the Dodgers.

Only exciting part of Alabama-Georgia would be if Alabama wins and the other favorites win, and then seeing what the Playoff Committee does. Does Georgia still get in given how good they have been all year, or do you pick Bama given the head-to-head victory? Or do you pick neither and select Texas? If you are calling Georgia-Bama Yankee-Red Sox, then Texas is like the Dodgers.

I think the playoff possibilities look like this:

Michigan
Florida State if they win/Texas if Louisville wins
Alabama/Georgia winner
Oregon/Washington winner

I think the committee is going to use objective measurements (i.e. conference championships) as much as they can. The only way I see a non conference champion getting in is if Florida State and Texas both lose. If that were to happen, I think it would be:

Michigan
Georgia win or lose
Oregon AND Washington if Georgia wins; the winner of that game + Alabama if Alabama wins

... but if all the favorites win, I think the only suspense is Alabama vs Texas. And I expect it to be Alabama, despite the head to head loss.

I respect those involved in that game, but you couldn't pay me to watch that. The coolest part of the event usually happens outside the white lines.
WHAT? You don't watch that game at all? That's a bucket list game for me. Waiting for it to next year when it's in DC.

Reactions: cbpitt2
I think it will be interesting if FSU could get left out going undefeated since they lost their QB.

If Alabama wins and Oregon beats Wash and texas loses you could have Alabama, Georgia, Mich, and OSU how bad would that be

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
As I reflect on my interest, I have to ask myself and you all: has over saturation of sports ruined interest? Sports 24-7 has lessened my consumption, not increased it. Do you agree?

I plan to watch Army-Navy, but if a better opportunity comes along, I’ll do that. Not married to the game. If the weather is nice in Vegas, I’ll do
Something outside

Liberty going for 13-0 vs. NM State interests me.
Tulane vs. SMU too, just because it's different.

I plan to watch Army-Navy, but if a better opportunity comes along, I’ll do that. Not married to the game. If the weather is nice in Vegas, I’ll do
Something outside
I might watch it, but there's also Pitt basketball at 6pm.

I think the playoff possibilities look like this:

Michigan
Florida State if they win/Texas if Louisville wins
Alabama/Georgia winner
Oregon/Washington winner

I think the committee is going to use objective measurements (i.e. conference championships) as much as they can. The only way I see a non conference champion getting in is if Florida State and Texas both lose. If that were to happen, I think it would be:

Michigan
Georgia win or lose
Oregon AND Washington if Georgia wins; the winner of that game + Alabama if Alabama wins

... but if all the favorites win, I think the only suspense is Alabama vs Texas. And I expect it to be Alabama, despite the head to head loss.

Mich
FSU (if they win)
Bama/UGa winner
Washington if they win.

If Bama and Oregon win:
Mich
FSU (if they win)
Bama
UGa

I think it will be interesting if FSU could get left out going undefeated since they lost their QB.
This is where this "best team" BS loses me for sure, they could go 13-0 in a P5 conference and because ONE PLAYER gets injured, the other 99 get screwed out of their opportunity. And I am always against success for FSU.

You think a 1-loss Georgia gets in over a 1-loss Oregon? I just don't see it because of how they've said they weight conference champions in the past.

That would be a heck of a debate:

12-1 UGa
12-1 Oregon
12-1 Wash
13-0 FSU without Jordan Travis

2 of the 4 get in

UGa would have wins over #9, #12 and #21
Ore and Wash would have wins over each other.
Wash would have wins over 15 and 16
FSU would have wins over 10 (will drop), 14, and 24 but 2 with Jordan Travis

I'd leave FSU out for their stupidity to play Travis vs a bad FCS team.

UGa will have beaten Mizz, Ten, Miss. Ore will only have beaten Wash and OrSt. Gotta go with UGa

This is where this "best team" BS loses me for sure, they could go 13-0 in a P5 conference and because ONE PLAYER gets injured, the other 99 get screwed out of their opportunity. And I am always against success for FSU.
If FSU wins, I don’t think you need to worry, they’re in.

But if they lose, things will get interesting depending on what happens in all the other games and, overall I think FSU’s chances would rightfully be very low.

Consider if Bama beats Georgia and Oregon beats Washington in a good close fought game. Texas and Michigan win and FSU loses:

Michigan - only remaining undefeated and for certain #1 seed

Georgia/Alabama - you know 1 is getting in, maybe both

Texas - if you put Bama in how could you not put Texas in given their H-to-H win

Washington/Oregon - 2 teams each with 1 loss to each other in close games, nothing to differentiate between the 2 based on the rest of their schedules. How could you leave both out and how could you pick 1 over the other aside from Oregon based simply on most recent H-to-H win

OSU/FSU - remaining 2 1-loss teams with a chance. But I think both would be below the above 6 so not a chance for either of them

Up for the rematch in Pac12. Interesting if Dan Lanning goes balls to the wall and forgoes field goals as he did in the first meeting. Cost him the game. His players don’t need to see him be agressive in order to play agressively. This is a true rivalry.

That would be a heck of a debate:

12-1 UGa
12-1 Oregon
12-1 Wash
13-0 FSU without Jordan Travis

2 of the 4 get in

UGa would have wins over #9, #12 and #21
Ore and Wash would have wins over each other.
Wash would have wins over 15 and 16
FSU would have wins over 10 (will drop), 14, and 24 but 2 with Jordan Travis

I'd leave FSU out for their stupidity to play Travis vs a bad FCS team.

UGa will have beaten Mizz, Ten, Miss. Ore will only have beaten Wash and OrSt. Gotta go with UGa

I think it's more cut and dry.

FSU is 1,000% in with a win.

12-1 Oregon gets in over 12-1 Georgia by virtue of having won its conference. Oregon's schedule gets weaker by the week, as the overhyped PAC has almost no one left standing at the end, and they avoided Arizona.

But Georgia's schedule honestly isn't good, either. Tennessee sucks.

WHAT? You don't watch that game at all? That's a bucket list game for me. Waiting for it to next year when it's in DC.
Well, he basically dislikes all but one of the games being played this weekend. He was nice enough to give a detailed list of his dismay as the basis of the post.....Helluva college football fan..

If you are calling Georgia-Bama Yankee-Red Sox, then Texas is like the Dodgers.
Why? they've sucked most of the last 10-12 years, they haven't been much better than Pitt over recent years. Now they have one good year and they're the big blue blood again instantly?

If Alabama wins and Oregon beats Wash and texas loses you could have Alabama, Georgia, Mich, and OSU how bad would that be
This would be the delight of the committee, as well as the networks/ESPN. I said it already that somehow, some way, Alabama and OSU will get to the final 4 of NCAA Football. Of course, that means that both Washington and FSU lose. A Texas loss, even without the other scenarios, would make it easier to select Bama

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
FSU vs. Louisville - Without Travis, this is an interesting matchup. Plus for all the FSU yapping about getting out of the ACC I'd love to see Louisville end their national title hopes.

Oregon vs. Washington - The most exciting game on paper. I hope it lives up to their first meeting. Oregon has been clicking on all cylinders and Washington has been playing close games. We'll see.

Michigan vs. Iowa - Garbage game.

Texas vs. Oklahoma State - I want to see Oklahoma State give Texas a going away present keeping them out of the playoffs.

Alabama vs. Georgia - Another great matchup. Georgia really stepped up and you can never count out a Saban team. Maybe some playoff chaos if Alabama wins.

This would be the delight of the committee, as well as the networks/ESPN. I said it already that somehow, some way, Alabama and OSU will get to the final 4 of NCAA Football. Of course, that means that both Washington and FSU lose. A Texas loss, even without the other scenarios, would make it easier to select Bama
That would be disgusting, I'd watch a movie on Netflix instead. :)

Don't people get tired of the same thing every year?

FSU vs. Louisville - Without Travis, this is an interesting matchup. Plus for all the FSU yapping about getting out of the ACC I'd love to see Louisville end their national title hopes.

Oregon vs. Washington - The most exciting game on paper. I hope it lives up to their first meeting. Oregon has been clicking on all cylinders and Washington has been playing close games. We'll see.

Michigan vs. Iowa - Garbage game.

Texas vs. Oklahoma State - I want to see Oklahoma State give Texas a going away present keeping them out of the playoffs.

Alabama vs. Georgia - Another great matchup. Georgia really stepped up and you can never count out a Saban team. Maybe some playoff chaos if Alabama wins.

I'd love to see Louisville end their national title hopes.
Without Travis they don’t have any national title hopes.

I don't disagree. If both FSU and Washington lose OSU is in for sure. An FSU loss may be enough unless Texas wins huge
I stand by it. FSU is sitting at home. Alabama, Michigan, Oregon, Texas are in if FSU and Washington lose.

I stand by it. FSU is sitting at home. Alabama, Michigan, Oregon, Texas are in if FSU and Washington lose.
One of Oregon or Washington are/should be in so what happens in that game should have no impact on any other team’s chances of making it or not.

Ditto, at least one of Georgia or Bama are in.

Michigan most likely isn’t going to lose but they’re probably already in win or lose.

Only real suspense is who gets the 4th spot if FSU loses. I highly doubt FSU’s spot is secured like Michigan’s is.

I agree with your earlier post that OSU shouldn’t get in sitting at home this week but after seeing them come in 6th in the latest BCS ranking, you never know if they’re the lucky 4th if FSU loses.

My opinion, if FSU loses, 4th spot should go to Texas (assuming they win this week) based on their win over Bama.

As I reflect on my interest, I have to ask myself and you all: has over saturation of sports ruined interest? Sports 24-7 has lessened my consumption, not increased it. Do you agree?
I’m in the same boat. Specifically to college football, the direction the sport is going has also lessened my consumption and interest.

Reactions: Dan1911
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT