ADVERTISEMENT

Conner's First Game

Sarge25

Freshman
Aug 18, 2017
Couple good runs and also 2 terrible drops. About what I would expect from a rookie in his first game. Looking forward to seeing him improve over the next week of practice and then his 2nd game.

He's done a better job as a runner than a receiver. Still dances too much at the line....leave that to Bell and hit the hole hard which is more his game.

Also it helps to play against the backups.

The blocking in front of him was terrible for a while. It has improved, hence the longer runs now. He's feeling it. I'm so damn happy for this kid.

I've been looking forward to this game all day long. When is the last time you've looked forward to a pre-season game this much?

I'm very pleased with 20c for 98yds for James! Improve on those drops and he's golden

Last edited:
he looked like he belonged. If he stays healthy, he could be a very good player for the Steelers.

The blocking in front of him was terrible for a while. It has improved, hence the longer runs now. He's feeling it. I'm so damn happy for this kid.

I've been looking forward to this game all day long. When is the last time you've looked forward to a pre-season game this much?

I'm very pleased with 20c for 98yds for James! Improve on those drops and he's golden

Agree. I actually watched the entire game....which is very rare for pre-season. He should have another big game against a poor colt run defense Saturday.

He's done a better job as a runner than a receiver. Still dances too much at the line....leave that to Bell and hit the hole hard which is more his game.

Play against back ups?? He IS A backup... in his first ever game... with backup linemen blocking.

Come on man.

Reactions: JoseLind13

Your post is backup !

Once he settled in and the line stopped getting abused he looked very good. It's already been pointed out, but Conner is a backup and he was by far the best one on the field down the stretch. Solid job in pass protection and obviously the drops were disappointing, but he was trying to make plays and didn't watch the ball in. Given it was his first NFL action and that he had very little practice time, I was impressed.

He did great! I have high hopes for him as a Steeler. As a runner he showed up. He needs to up his receiving game. Not surprising, he wasn't a primary receiver at Pitt. Yes it was against backups, so what? IMO he showed up well for the 1st time in pro play.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
98 yards rushing and looked very good in pass protection. Next game I expect they'll continue to throw him the ball, by October nobody will even remember he had 2 drops in preseason game #2.

Any little mistake he makes, certain people are going to be all like "oh he's no Le'Veon Bell" (and ok yeah clearly it goes without saying anyone comparing the two right now is out of line) or "he's a better story than he is a football player".

With that said, I get the whole notion he shouldn't be immune to criticism and I'd say we're objectively evaluating him here. He said it himself after the game he needs to work on his pass catching.

Great great great to see some of his performance. Willingness to put that bum shoulder down a couple times was a good sign. He looks leaner than wth Pitt, and thus a little faster. Hopefully doesn't lose much velocity with that.

Receiving has always a ? for him and hopefully he'll get the chance to rectify the couple drops (which were fundamental run - without - securing errors). The Steelers rely so much on the TB as a receiver. With Bell's continued contract shenanigans and bad luck with injuries, JC has a window for solid PT if he can be a reliable receiver.

Good to hear him get kudos for picking up a blitz.

For a guy who hadn't played a full game since basically Thanksgiving, the stamina seemed good.

Still not used to that #30. But I'll adjust.

Hopefully he keeps developing and seizes the opportunity behind Bell. The Steelers seem likely to tag Bell again next year to either keep him for a final season or find a trade partner. That means Conner could have a chance to start next year or the year after.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT